Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have any ROC turkey hunters out there?
Spring is in the air and the gobblers and hens are already talking up a storm. It sure has been exciting watching the turkey population skyrocket over the past 5 years here in Texas.
This amorous fellow was looking for a girlfriend last weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
nice pic outfitter,

it looks like my backyard, I have approx 20 females, and 5 huge toms that are always eating my grass seed. I dont hunt, I just enjoy seeing the turkeys, deer, and coyotes that are lurking in my back yard...

good luck on your hunt..

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have been listening the last coulple of nights as the it is getting noisy around here. the population here on the northeast coast has been growing in leaps and bounds the last few years.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Fit,

Is that a Rio Grande? Nice shot, err picture.

Our lease is just east of San Anton but the coyotes pretty much keep the turkey population down. Had 7 here in Louisiana in my back yard I was able to get a pic of. Would post the pic if I knew how.

In eastern Alabama where we hunted in Dec groups of 20+ birds were everywhere it seemed. Not too many coyotes there.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nawlens Gator said:
Hey Fit,

Is that a Rio Grande? Nice shot, err picture.

Our lease is just east of San Anton but the coyotes pretty much keep the turkey population down. Had 7 here in Louisiana in my back yard I was able to get a pic of. Would post the pic if I knew how.

In eastern Alabama were we hunted in Dec groups of 20+ birds were everywhere it seemed. Not too many coyotes there.
Yep, it's a Rio Grande. Our lease is 100 mile west of Ft Worth. We are covered up with birds, almost getting to be a problem. We see flocks of 30-40 at a time and during deer season they time the feeders and vacuum all the corn up as soon as they go off. We had an "either sex" season (1st time)on turkeys this past fall in our county but we are not big on taking turkeys while deer hunting.
We do have lots of Yotes, Bobcats and Grey Fox but the turkeys are thriving and my group are all looking forward to the opener with plenty of birds, great food and cold beverages. We just love getting away and enjoying the great outdoors!:)
In LA, you have Eastern birds don't you? Good luck to you for the opener.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chisoxjim said:
nice pic outfitter,

it looks like my backyard, I have approx 20 females, and 5 huge toms that are always eating my grass seed. I dont hunt, I just enjoy seeing the turkeys, deer, and coyotes that are lurking in my back yard...

good luck on your hunt..
Thanks chi, growing up in the burbs of Chicago back in the early 70's I never saw a turkey or a yote and seeing a deer was a huge event. Yotes are sure getting to be a problem in fringe areas all over the country and lots of peoples pets are ending up as easy meals for them. They are one smart critter.
Thanks for the well wishes, we are looking forward to some fresh cajun fried and smoked turkey next month. Now that's some good eat'n!:D

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
outfitter,

i grew up in Naperville, and moved in Nov. to marseilles down by the Illinois river. I rarely saw wildlife in the burbs, but being out in a rural area by the river I see alot. I only saw the female turkeys for the last couple of months, and am now seeing the Toms.

the coyotes, I dont dare let my cats out of the house, I know they would be a meal for some critter in the woods that back to my house...

On my commute I see more deers hit by cars than I see RL's on the road.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oh dear. Hubby had 400 acre ranch out in Rock Springs, TX and he and his dad owned a gun and knife and hunting type store in San Antonio. He has always loved turkey hunting (especially the calling part). He sold all of that when he moved up here to the Smoky Mountains with me. He saw the pic and the post and I think he got a little choked up...... I see a trip up toward the Kentucky/TN line to turkey call in a week or two.....

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SmokyMtnRidger said:
Oh dear. Hubby had 400 acre ranch out in Rock Springs, TX and he and his dad owned a gun and knife and hunting type store in San Antonio. He has always loved turkey hunting (especially the calling part). He sold all of that when he moved up here to the Smoky Mountains with me. He saw the pic and the post and I think he got a little choked up...... I see a trip up toward the Kentucky/TN line to turkey call in a week or two.....
WOW SMR, you made a man give up all that?:eek: It must of been your Rangerette uniform or something.
The Rock Springs area is wonderful, I used to do a little hunting close to there myself and the YO Ranch has done so much for animal conservation with so many different species running around on it.
Hope you get Hubby out in the woods soon so he can talk some turkey.:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am going on my first turkey hunt this spring in SD. I got tags for both sexes. I figure hunt turkey in the am shoot some prairie dogs in the afternoon. I also live the burbs of Chicago we have a problem with coyotes jumping fences and eating the neighbors pets.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Directman said:
I am going on my first turkey hunt this spring in SD. I got tags for both sexes. I figure hunt turkey in the am shoot some prairie dogs in the afternoon. I also live the burbs of Chicago we have a problem with coyotes jumping fences and eating the neighbors pets.
Good luck DM, I guess that would be the Merriam's sub species of turkey in SD? Beautiful birds. Never been on a prairie dog shoot, but sure do love to hunt the hunters (Yotes, Bobcats, Fox and Mtn Lions)
I am going to be in Chicago for business in a couple months and am going to try to get out to Downers Grove, where I grew up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Outfitter said:
WOW SMR, you made a man give up all that?:eek: It must of been your Rangerette uniform or something.
The Rock Springs area is wonderful, I used to do a little hunting close to there myself and the YO Ranch has done so much for animal conservation with so many different species running around on it.
Hope you get Hubby out in the woods soon so he can talk some turkey.:D
Hi, just now saw this. The YO Ranch is awesome isn't it?? I loved it there. YO also is a very generous group of folks, they routinely donate events and such at their ranch to disadvantaged and for auctions, etc. LOL on the Rangerette uniform! I actually went to Kilgore College for one year. I found myself graduating from high school a year early (had enough credits, Dad was on temporary, year long assignment in Longview TX with Eastman Kodak) so I went to Kilgore for a year on a whim. No, I wasn't a Rangerette but ran around with several of them. What a fun year! Small world!!

We sold the ranch to hubby's sister and her husband, so it stayed in the family, so to speak.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SmokyMtnRidger said:
Hi, just now saw this. The YO Ranch is awesome isn't it?? I loved it there. YO also is a very generous group of folks, they routinely donate events and such at their ranch to disadvantaged and for auctions, etc. LOL on the Rangerette uniform! I actually went to Kilgore College for one year. I found myself graduating from high school a year early (had enough credits, Dad was on temporary, year long assignment in Longview TX with Eastman Kodak) so I went to Kilgore for a year on a whim. No, I wasn't a Rangerette but ran around with several of them. What a fun year! Small world!!

We sold the ranch to hubby's sister and her husband, so it stayed in the family, so to speak.
I saw one of your other posts on you attending Kilgore so I knew you would know what I was talking about with the uniforms. My bride is from east Texas and I always teased her about getting a Rangerette uniform or at least learn to high kick like them limber little fillies.:D

·
Registered
635 Posts
I do not hunt, I am more of a gatherer(at the super market). I do see an ocassional wild turkey on my bike rides in the Santa Cruz mountains.

For you Turkey hunters, you may want to check out the Body Wrinkles post, it is looks to be flush with Turkeys.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
chisoxjim said:
nice pic outfitter,

good luck on your hunt..
Same here, seen as many as 35 in my yard. Never saw a turkey until I was over 30 years old. Saw tracks and a few feathers in the Walls of Jericho in the mikd '60's, quite a thrill. Now they are everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
STEVE FROST said:
I used to see Wild Turkey in the evenings.

Made me wake up with a ripping head ache.
Yeah, and it's better to be "clucking" in the morning instead of "chucking":rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yep another turkey hunter to add to the list.:eek: These eastern birds are nice but them Rio's are really impressive:) I like to use a shotgun on occasion but I really like chasing em with the bow. Thanks to all you NWTF members that these birds are really coming back strong.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts