Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Congratulations Robin!!! That is awesome!!Gonna try my best to double out in both Mass and NY this year.
Robin and Skeeter, I feel the urge as well to fill the second tag with the bow. Meeting a buddy of mine in NY and he is trad gear only so we will see. I hurt my shoulder last year and had to use the compound for deer season. I dropped weight and bought a sweet new longbow but havent put in enough time to feel comfortable shooting at an animal with it yet, least of all something with such a small shot presentation like a turkey (plus its a little big for a blind!!). Skeeter, which way you headed in NY? I just got off the phone tonight with another bud and his house has been surrounded. Good luck in both states!

Nathan
Nothing more satisfying than stick and string, especially on the sharp eyed turkey.
I have done well with my Hoyt and a Double Bull pop up on some nice birds down here in Texas in years past.
I have only used a recurve for bow fishing over the past couple years.
Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Always wanted to try bowfishing... One of these days I guess, seems I'm saying that a lot more often these days:act002:

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hunt all around my parents house in Dutchess County, NY. i actually just walked back in the house from there because it was Youth weekend, and i got to take my little brother out both yesterday morning, and this morning. some great action both days, got some real great footage. ended up shooting his second bird ever this morning, a 19 1/2 lb. long-beard. great hunt, great bird. unfortunately our hunt yesterday morning was ruined by someone who decided he was going to take his son hunting near our property and STALK TURKEYS WITH HIS BOW... now don't get me wrong, im all for getting the youth out there to hunt, and even more about shooting anything i can with my bow, but i truly feel sorry for this kid, as he will never know what a good hunt feels like.

anyways, cant wait till next weekend, got some great scouting in this weekend, and saw a good population of birds in the areas im planning on hunting. i'll try to get some of the footage online and post the links here.

cheers
skeeter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thats awesome Skeeter, I'd love to see the footage! Sorry to hear about that stuff with the neighbor. It seems more and more that the hunting is getting harder and harder between people popping in and trying to pull a bird away from you once you've already started working it and people educating birds by doing stupid things. Oh well, it's still awesome to be out already. Opening day here in Ma was pretty wet but I bumped into a few silent birds. That was pretty cool. I hunt up in Rhinebeck most of the time during deer season. It is truly a small world! Good luck! Nathan

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Time to dust off this ol thread.

Anybody planning on hitting the woods for a Gobbler this year?

My group will hit camp Friday, check and freshen up the turkey blinds with some new Cedar branches, scare out any new inhabitants (rattlers) and listen for birds going to roost that evening.
Steak night Friday and big fish fry planned for Saturday night. Might see the odd brew or 2 show up in the evenings along with my Dirty Martinis with Jalapeno Olives.
Days will be a bit warmer than I like but nights will be cool and great for sleeping.

Good luck to all and remember, safety first!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Time to dust off this ol thread.

Anybody planning on hitting the woods for a Gobbler this year?

My group will hit camp Friday, check and freshen up the turkey blinds with some new Cedar branches, scare out any new inhabitants (rattlers) and listen for birds going to roost that evening.
Steak night Friday and big fish fry planned for Saturday night. Might see the odd brew or 2 show up in the evenings along with my Dirty Martinis with Jalapeno Olives.
Days will be a bit warmer than I like but nights will be cool and great for sleeping.

Good luck to all and remember, safety first!!!!!!!
It is posts like this that makes me wish we had a "like" button like Facebook!!!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
My little boy got his first bird this past weekend. He's turning into quite an outdoorsman.
Tell your young man congratulations and pass on a "well done" to his guide!:act024:
Nothing more satisfying than spending time outdoors with the next generation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have in the past but have found the hunting much better at the Safeway super market?? They don't much like me bringing my shotgun tho??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, it's a Rio Grande. Our lease is 100 mile west of Ft Worth. We are covered up with birds, almost getting to be a problem. We see flocks of 30-40 at a time and during deer season they time the feeders and vacuum all the corn up as soon as they go off. We had an "either sex" season (1st time)on turkeys this past fall in our county but we are not big on taking turkeys while deer hunting.
We do have lots of Yotes, Bobcats and Grey Fox but the turkeys are thriving and my group are all looking forward to the opener with plenty of birds, great food and cold beverages. We just love getting away and enjoying the great outdoors!:)
In LA, you have Eastern birds don't you? Good luck to you for the opener.
Outfitter, et al - I live in NW Arkansas but hunt turkeys, predators & deer primarily in SE Kansas & SW Missouri. Lived in Joplin for 25 years so got used to the great hunting up there. (BTW, Outfitter do you guide for predators in TX?)

Attached a few Rio & Eastern pics and hope to get up in Nebraska next spring for Merriams but if I do that then I will have to go to Florida for an Osceola!? :eek: Steve/"Dermott"

Attachments

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Outfitter, et al - I live in NW Arkansas but hunt turkeys, predators & deer primarily in SE Kansas & SW Missouri. Lived in Joplin for 25 years so got used to the great hunting up there. (BTW, Outfitter do you guide for predators in TX?)

Attached a few Rio & Eastern pics and hope to get up in Nebraska next spring for Merriams but if I do that then I will have to go to Florida for an Osceola!? :eek: Steve/"Dermott"
Nice birds and love the Yote. Did you call it in?
I'm not a guide but run rough shod over a group of the mangiest low life's west of the Mississippi at our deer lease west of Ft Worth. :act024:
Great property with all kinds of critters, deer, hogs, turkey, predators (red fox, bobcats & yotes), dove, ducks, cranes and some decent bass in 3 of the 7 tanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Outfitter, sounds like a great lease!

Yes, I called in the yote with a Primos mouth call. I always carry 3 predator calls when hunting turkeys or whatever just in case. My buddy still had turkey tags and I was calling for him in Kansas but he got bored and asked me to call predators. This one came in within 3 minutes. I use a FoxPro e-caller when just predator hunting.

Steve/"Dermott"

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't turkey hunt much (I don't know if there's any to speak of here in California). I do go boar hunting enough. Springfield M1A works really well on these wild boars on the CA central coast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can't wait till turkey season opens. I'm going to be taking a new friend(60+ yrs. old) that has never hunted turkeys before, for the first time this spring. The last time I took an older gentleman turkey hunting for the first time he had his bird flopping on the ground in about 10-15 minutes(success) he was very happy. I hope I can do the same for this guy. Here are some pics of my last successful hunt with another buddy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Hi V-Max 223,
Really nice birds. Are those Merriams?

I just finished working on a couple new turkey blinds for my wife and daughter in law this past weekend and it looks like we are in for a banner year. I ran into large groups multiple times running around the property and saw the largest flock I have ever seen on the wheat field next to us. At least 75-100 birds.

I prefer to move and work a gobbler that I pinpoint going to roost the evening before and then move from the creek bottoms to the mesquite flats during the day as they move. The gals like to sit and call them in near deer stands/feeders so they can read and move around a bit without getting busted.

I am really excited this year as I have a friend that has a daughter that wants to try Turkey hunting and I will do the "outfitting" for her 1st hunt.
I will do some gun safety training before taking them to the field and will make sure I have food and entertainment that is suitable and to the liking of the young lady.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi V-Max 223,
Really nice birds. Are those Merriams?

I am really excited this year as I have a friend that has a daughter that wants to try Turkey hunting and I will do the "outfitting" for her 1st hunt.
I will do some gun safety training before taking them to the field and will make sure I have food and entertainment that is suitable and to the liking of the young lady.
Yes, they are.
That's cool that your taking a new hunter/youngster out, we need to pass it on. I see alot of people younger than I that were not taught to hunt or fish or for that matter even know where our food comes from.
Let me know how the hunt goes!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Yes, they are.
That's cool that your taking a new hunter/youngster out, we need to pass it on. I see alot of people younger than I that were not taught to hunt or fish or for that matter even know where our food comes from.
Let me know how the hunt goes!
I am liking the way this year is shaping up. We had a big hatch 2 years ago so there should be lots of opportunity.
The little buck should be losing his head gear soon also.

From last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am liking the way this year is shaping up. We had a big hatch 2 years ago so there should be lots of opportunity.
The little buck should be losing his head gear soon also.

With that good hatch 2 yrs ago you should have alot of vocal & callable birds this season for your girls & your new hunter. Good luck!!!

61 - 80 of 118 Posts