Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Great photos Race! That's what I'll be looking for this weekend. Game cams have a lot of birds running around so it should be another good season for us.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Great weekend so far and the young hunters did great and each was able to get a Gobbler
It has also been crazy with all the hogs
So far we have thinned out 15-16 of them

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
My trail cam caught me leaving with a bird yesterday in NW Ga. 2 YO with a 9 1/2" beard.

Congrats on the successful hunt and welcome to the thread.
I took 2 birds this weekend, the first was a bit of a pain as the bird was called in when I was hog hunting and heard it gobble near by and he responding immediately. The problem was when I shot him he went flopping into the mud wallow the hogs had created behind a feeder. Turned a 20# bird into a 40# bird and nasty to boot. The second bird was a nice one and called him in at a road intersection that they like to travel through.
The Honda Pioneer 700-4 had a busy weekend hauling hunters and my "Buck Buggy" turned into a "Hog Hauler".

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had a fun, productive opening day archery hunt. Morning had a gobbler hammering on the roost at about 100 yards but didn’t get him in. Saw 6 hens and 1 Jake go to him which trumped my calling! The Jake did come into my decoys doing a fighting purr but did not jump my Dakota Jake. After a while same group cross back across the field and a mature but quiet gobbler at 100 yards strutted and 2 hens went to him.

After lunch I set up Dakota Jake with a new to me Avian Breeder hen. About 3:30 p.m. the dominant gobbler crossed the field and went straight to Jake decoy about 15 yards from where I was and I made a good shot with him facing me into the vitals a few inches above his beard. He was really heavy and had an 11 inch beard and 1.5 inch hooks.

My hunting partner heard gobbling early but only saw 1 hen.

The next morning We went to my spot and I just observed as saving 2nd tag for gun season. We heard 2 Gobblers and 1 came to 40 yards behind us. Partner is handicapped so uses a shotgun but we could not see the gobbler behind us and he left. Cannot wait to get there next week for gun season!

Nolan Emberton, MSWING12, Onetrakd and 8 others like this.
Yesterday at 1:36 PM #2
JohnnieWalker
JohnnieWalker
Bikini Bottoms
Well done. Joker's got some spurs on him.
ReportUnlike+ QuoteReply
You like this.
Yesterday at 1:55 PM #3
JR1
JR1
Supporting Member
Springdale
Great hunting!
ReportUnlike+ QuoteReply
You like this.

SPONSORED CONTENT

Rinehart Doloma Turkey Decoy Combo SKU - 401072
Rinehart Doloma Turkey Decoy Combo SKU - 401072
By midwayusa.com
Yesterday at 2:12 PM #4
GOBBLERSTOPPER
GOBBLERSTOPPER
Fayetteville
Dermott said: ↑
View attachment 118449 View attachment 118450 View attachment 118451 View attachment 118452 View attachment 118453 Had a fun, productive opening day archery hunt. Morning had a gobbler hammering on the roost at about 100 yards but didn’t get him in. Saw 6 hens and 1 Jake go to him which trumped my calling! The Jake did come into my decoys doing a fighting purr but did not jump my Dakota Jake. After a while same group cross back across the field and a mature but quiet gobbler at 100 yards strutted and 2 hens went to him.

After lunch I set up Dakota Jake with a new to me Avian Breeder hen. About 3:30 p.m. the dominant gobbler crossed the field and went straight to Jake decoy about 15 yards from where I was and I made a good shot with him facing me into the vitals a few inches above his beard. He was really heavy and had an 11 inch beard and 1.5 inch hooks.

The next morning We went to my spot and I just observed as saving 2nd tag for gun season. We heard 2 Gobblers and 1 came to 40 yards behind us. Partner is handicapped so uses a shotgun but we could not see the gobbler behind us and he left.

Cannot wait to get there next week for gun season!

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Had a fun, productive opening day archery hunt. Morning had a gobbler hammering on the roost at about 100 yards but didn’t get him in. Saw 6 hens and 1 Jake go to him which trumped my calling! The Jake did come into my decoys doing a fighting purr but did not jump my Dakota Jake. After a while same group cross back across the field and a mature but quiet gobbler at 100 yards strutted and 2 hens went to him.

The next morning We went to my spot and I just observed as saving 2nd tag for gun season. We heard 2 Gobblers and 1 came to 40 yards behind us. Partner is handicapped so uses a shotgun but we could not see the gobbler behind us and he left. Cannot wait to get there next week for gun season!
Nice job dermott!
Turkey hunting with stick and string is awesome and very challenging. What did you use for a blind? I did a fair amount of archery hunting in the past and used a Double Bull pop up for Turkey.
We have had a great year, tons of birds and all my group have taken multiple mature Gobblers.
What are you using for Turkey? I used NAP Pro expandable heads since we always expect other critters to show up and they gave me the versatility I wanted.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Still a lot of game activity around the ranch.
Here are a couple Gobbler pics from the game cam.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is that time of the year again and Turkey season opens this weekend in TX. The girls are talking and the boys are.....well boys will be bo boys around hot chicks.
Planned to take my oldest grandson for his first hunt but he got grounded for some infraction at school this past week. Maybe next weekend with him.
Should be a great year with a lot of mature Gobblers running around. Appears they are henned up currently so mid day hunts may be the way to punch our ticket.
As usual, a bunch of great meals are planned for the camp. Smoked Pork Chops, Dutch oven Pot Roast and Venison Chili are the menu items for Fri-Sun.
I'll be doing a bit of hog hunting tonight along with trying to trap some of the exploding Racoon population. Always something to work on in helping Mother Nature keep everything in harmony.

Anybody else headed to the woods this weekend?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Had a successful hunt this past weekend despite the gale force winds and cold temps.
My Turkey breasts have been injected with "Cajun Butter" and rubbed down with Cajun seasoning and will be on the pellet grill tomorrow.
5 more hogs went down, which makes 73 +/- since 11/4.
The one I took Sat night was wearing Thermal camouflage.....wet mud which hid him pretty good from my thermal scope. Unfortunately for him his head was not wet and muddy so it showed up in my sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I took this one yesterday while hunting by myself so only a pic of the bird from my cellphone.
He was about 20 lbs with a 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I'll be doing a bit of hog hunting tonight along with trying to trap some of the exploding Racoon population.
Wild pig would definitely make some good eating especially if one knows how to dress the hog. How do Texans prepare Racoon?:wink:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I took this one yesterday while hunting by myself so only a pic of the bird from my cellphone.
He was about 20 lbs with a 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs.

Nice bird! Mine was about the same.

Wild pig would definitely make some good eating especially if one knows how to dress the hog. How do Texans prepare Racoon?:wink:
We only keep sows between 75-125#s and the meat is in an ice chest in less than 45mins. My favorites are pulled pork from shoulders or the hams and a stuffed pork tenderloin recipe I have for the backstraps.
Cousin Eddie informed me that Racoon meat is high in cholesterol and always thought it was a bit greasy and stringy. :wink:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Here is my bird in the field and another pic of the breasts just off the pellet smoker. Injected them with Cajun butter and rubbed with Creole seasoning and refrigerated overnight.
Dang it is really tasty!

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I took a younger friend yesterday and called him in a bird and 2 came in so we doubled. Pic of him with both birds and one he got of me walking out with mine.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I took a younger friend yesterday and called him in a bird and 2 came in so we doubled. Pic of him with both birds and one he got of me walking out with mine.

[/QUOTE

Is that a Double Bull blind? I had one when I bow hunted Turkey.
Congrats on the birds!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes that is the original Double Bull Matrix blind. Probably 20 years or so old now and still like new. I went back yesterday and popped another with a crossbow so I am now limited out. Got him from the blind also.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts