Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Okay, this should be a straightforward job for anyone looking to save hundreds of dollars. It isn't that intimidating if you're careful. It also should take that long.

Everything went relatively smooth except for the removal of the front injector base. There are a total of three bolts and two nuts that hold this piece on. By reading other posts and forums, it appears that few people mention the bolt that is somewhat hidden. While not truly hidden, it isn't easily visible like the others.

I also would recommend that you replace the gaskets on reassembly. Since you're saving a ton of money on the repair, splurge for the gaskets. It is good practice.

Had I not fumbled for an hour trying to remove the injector base the entire job would have been approximately 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
When I performed a technical refresh on my VH45DE, I found a varmint had severely damaged the KS wire. It wasn't throwing codes but it was held by a thread. There is a running joke about KS wiring harnesses being made from used Big Mac wrappers.

Here's picture of the varmint chewed KS harness.

When I purchased a new harness, I wrapped it in "cool tape" then covered it in flex automotive conduit, then wrapped the conduit in Extreme Tape. It will need to be a determined varmint to get through new enhanced KS wire.

Here's how the enhanced harness looks installed on a VH45DE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few days ago my Check Engine light and VTM-4 lights came on. Went to AutoZone to have the code pulled. It was Knock Sensor. Then I Googled and found this thread. Sure enought a rat had tried to build a nest on top of my battery in recent days/weeks and probably chewed on the knock sensor harness.

What happens if this is not fixed (other than idiot lights bothering me every time I drive the truck)?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You are unable to detect knock and you will blow up.

But on a serious note...Your engine can no longer detect if the motor is knocking. Which could effect vtec probably...and it could be running lean and not knowing it...multitude of issues. Can you not drive it for a week or so? Im sure it will be fine but I would keep your foot out of it as much as possible.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
According to the article, it started in 2012.

"Drivers from three states sued Honda last week for breach of warranty, reports Courthouse News, claiming in the federal class action that the soy-based coatings in 2012-2015 model year Honda vehicles attract hungry critters."

·
Administrator
14,976 Posts
The connector under the rear of the Ridgeline that may be responsible for the "multiple warning messages" issue has lots of delicious, exposed wires to choose from. Let's hope it doesn't use soy-based insulation else water intrusion won't be the only issue to deal with! Some of them are tiny signal wires while others are heavier, current-carrying wires - totally exposed with no protection whatsoever other than the insulation itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure if this would be harmful to vegetable based insulation, but a decent coating of Vicks Vap-O-Rub would deter most any animal from chomping down on anything with that on it. That is if you can't finish the taping job of the wires left bare by the factory.

·
Administrator
14,976 Posts
My next wonder is how many people will end up bypassing that connector and splicing the wires together after the warranty has expired when they find out it's $1,000 for parts and labor to disassemble the vehicle and replace the harness. (Unless, of course, that connector eventually becomes the source of a recall and gets replaced at no charge, which is very likely since it affects the function of safety systems.)

Not sure if this would be harmful to vegetable based insulation, but a decent coating of Vicks Vap-O-Rub would deter most any animal from chomping down on anything with that on it. That is if you can't finish the taping job of the wires left bare by the factory.
I wouldn't think a petroleum-based product would have any ill effect on the wiring. I'd imagine it's oil, gas, and water resistant seeing that it's used in an automotive application driven on public roadways and will likely be exposed to all of those at some point.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Maybe I'll try to find that thread, I think it was an 07 or 08.
I guess even older models could be affected

The owner lived in rural area, and the mice got it through the rear vents, chewed up the fuel pump wiring and even some areas under the hood were affected.

He put some wire to block the rear bed vents. Posted many pictures of the damage and repairs done.

The issue is worse with cars that are not used and just sitting for weeks if not months, since these rodents use it as a place to live, looking for warm areas.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I moved to Florida and parked my RL outside for a few nights and one morning my VTM-4 and check engine light came on. Sure enough a fruit rat ate my knock sensor wire.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I moved to Florida and parked my RL outside for a few nights and one morning my VTM-4 and check engine light came on. Sure enough a fruit rat ate my knock sensor wire.
Fruit Rat sounds so cute and cuddly. I don't know what we have here in Washington, DC area now.
My neighbor across the street called me yesterday complaining about seeing rats in front yard. Said she thinks it's a little nest of babies. Many residents in DC have been complaining the last few years about excessive amount of rats 4 leg kind. I think DC has moved to #3 on the list with rat problems.
I saw one last night out back I make some noise it ran.
But as I said in old post how one ate the wires in my 1994 Accord years ago making me think some kind of massive brake problem ABS and other brake lamp indicators lit up. That critter last night ran up underneath my Acura I have been lazy and not put the rolls of wire mesh around the chain link fence and gates in my backyard. This will keep them from getting into the back yard. Increased population growth in DC new restaurants all around and everybody just about has a dog. Some of these people are not picking up after their pets. I have had dogs always cleaned up but some of these people just don't and the rats like the poop.
New residents running around asking question about rats saying how their car wires have been chewed up. This can be very expensive it cost me years ago near $300 and the dealership gave me a break said it was $400 repair.
They said some kind of critter had chicken bones up in engine of car so I knew what it was. I have found this in my Acura different times around battery tray.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Fruit Rat sounds so cute and cuddly. I don't know what we have here in Washington, DC area now.
My neighbor across the street called me yesterday complaining about seeing rats in front yard. Said she thinks it's a little nest of babies. Many residents in DC have been complaining the last few years about excessive amount of rats 4 leg kind. I think DC has moved to #3 on the list with rat problems.
I saw one last night out back I make some noise it ran.
But as I said in old post how one ate the wires in my 1994 Accord years ago making me think some kind of massive brake problem ABS and other brake lamp indicators lit up. That critter last night ran up underneath my Acura I have been lazy and not put the rolls of wire mesh around the chain link fence and gates in my backyard. This will keep them from getting into the back yard. Increased population growth in DC new restaurants all around and everybody just about has a dog. Some of these people are not picking up after their pets. I have had dogs always cleaned up but some of these people just don't and the rats like the poop.
New residents running around asking question about rats saying how their car wires have been chewed up. This can be very expensive it cost me years ago near $300 and the dealership gave me a break said it was $400 repair.
They said some kind of critter had chicken bones up in engine of car so I knew what it was. I have found this in my Acura different times around battery tray.
Yesterday the Mayor of Washington DC said they are trying to get the Rat problem under control. The multiple news outlets were covering it. No fake news about this do a search on DC Rats and look at the stories from 11/13/17. The best video was the story by Mark Seagraves NBC 4 news.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts
Seems to me the rat problem in DC is more of the 2 legged variety. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had something chew on our wires under the truck where emission control is handled, etc.in 2017. Thought it was fixed. Turned out the Check Engine symbol came on again and was ignored at each service visit at the Honda Dealer until this week in 2019. Well they did the diagnostic tests and it was the same problem! So they repaired them again this week. They didn't charge me for the repairs this time. Has anyone else had this happen? He said there is a cover on that area where the wires are located. So, wondering what size critter could do that? We do live outside of town with lots of woods and wildlife.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Happened to me over a year ago. Problem was that I was very far from home and since I didn't see or feel any negative consequences for driving with the CEL light illuminated for several hundred miles, I experienced problems "down the road". After replacing the wiring (my insurance paid for that) but in about 2 weeks I had the rear cat go out. Dealer blamed it on previously driving with the CEL light and the rodent damage.

This time of year, I dust my engine with chili powder as I travel a 4 state area.

·
Administrator
14,976 Posts
We had something chew on our wires under the truck where emission control is handled, etc.in 2017. Thought it was fixed. Turned out the Check Engine symbol came on again and was ignored at each service visit at the Honda Dealer until this week in 2019. Well they did the diagnostic tests and it was the same problem! So they repaired them again this week. They didn't charge me for the repairs this time. Has anyone else had this happen? He said there is a cover on that area where the wires are located. So, wondering what size critter could do that? We do live outside of town with lots of woods and wildlife.
Moderator's note: Multiple threads merged.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts