Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Roll-N-Lock installed on my 2008 Ridgeline about a Month ago. After the first rain I noticed a few leaks. There are a few trickles down the sides, front, and tail gate areas. I realize that there is no guarantee that it will be “water proof”. So I can understand these trickles. However, the brochure states, “Recessed drain fittings ensure rapid and complete drainage of the unit housing.” This is where I am having the problem. Water comes out of the bottom of the two “columns” on each side where the drain hoses are installed into the bed of the truck. I took it back to my installer today. They looked at it, ran water into the top around the housing, and then showed me that a lot of water was coming out under the truck from the column. They had no idea way I was getting water into the truck bed but they could not do anything else.

1. Please let me know if my installer is correct.
2. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the leakage into the bed from these drains?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RedPearlRTL:

Thanks for posting your question. As is sounds like you are aware, there is no way to make the bed of any truck, let along the challenging bed design of the RL, waterproof. However, you should expect a reasonably dry installation. The info you posted is a little limited and I would like the oportunity for either myself or one of our techs to talk with you in person in greater detail if you're willing. (My cell is 253-970-2213 or the techline is 800-952-7655. It is staffed 8a-5p EST, M-F.) In the meantime I'll offer a couple of suggestions here.

The left and right flanges that the tracks bolt to have a bulb gasket on the top edge that compresses against the inner wall of the bed. You'll want to check to see that the mounting bolts are tightened so as to sufficiently compress those bulb gaskets. The tracks themselves also have two gaskets, one on the outboard edge that should be turned out and laying flat on the top of each mounting flange, and a second on the inboard edge that should be laying flat on the vinyl surface of the cover. If either of these are curled under, they could be letting water by. As to the drain hoses, I'd ask you to follow this link...

http://www.rollnlock.com/Portals/ro...n Guides/InstallGuide_Honda-Ridgeline_720.pdf

...and check out Photo 29 to confirm the hoses are in the correct location. I know a lot of companies run drain hoses through the front bed bolt caps, but DO NOT let anyone talk you into doing that. The location shown in our installation guide was chosen because it ligns up with the factory drain holes that are hidden behind the black bulkhead panel.

Lastly, I see that you are in GA. Some of our crew will be near Atlanta the 17th - 20th. If it's convenient for you, we would be happy to take a look at the installation.

I hope some of this helps. If not, we'll look forward to speaking with you personally.

Best regards,

Dan Beaulaurier
National Sales Manager
Roll-N-Lock Corporation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,

Thanks for your quick response to my questions. I can verify that the drain hoses are installed per your instructions.
I’ll be contacting you all this week to see if we can improve the situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan,

After talking to your outstanding tech support folks, I think we have a few things we can try to improve the situation by getting the drain hoses further down into the “column”. However, I have a trip planned so I will not be able to work on it for a while. I’m also unable to accept your kind invitation to have your guys look at it this week because of the trip.

I’ll give you an update in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RedPearlRTL:

Glad to hear Dave gave you a couple of ideas to try and your overall experiance was good. Sorry we won't see you in Atlanta, but enjoy your trip!

Cheers!
Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK guys and gals want to bring you all up to date on the leaks in my Roll-N-Lock. I had to cancel the trip I had planned due to a slight medical problem. So I met up with Dan and his Technician, Rick, out west of Atlanta on Friday. Rick found 2 problems with my installation:

1) The drain tubes were too long. The instructions say they should stick into the holes a “minimum” of 2 inches. Mine were about 4”. The extra length allowed them to turn up inside the truck sides. Water then was able to run back into the truck bed. By cutting the tubing so “only” 2 inches went into the truck side, the leak problem here was solved!!
2) A piece of the caulking strip had not been installed correctly into the slot between the bulkhead and the bedrail. Water is getting in under the flange. I plan to go back to my installer and have some more caulking installed.

Rick was able to do a couple of water tests to ensure he was on the right track. I hope the hotel did not mind him using the water from the pool!!

I want to thank Rick and Dan for taking the time to help me out. All the Roll-N-Lock folks were eager to help me improve the installation of their fine product. If anyone else has a problem, I highly recommend calling their 800 number.

·
Registered
347 Posts
OK guys and gals want to bring you all up to date on the leaks in my Roll-N-Lock. I had to cancel the trip I had planned due to a slight medical problem. So I met up with Dan and his Technician, Rick, out west of Atlanta on Friday. Rick found 2 problems with my installation:

1) The drain tubes were too long. The instructions say they should stick into the holes a “minimum” of 2 inches. Mine were about 4”. The extra length allowed them to turn up inside the truck sides. Water then was able to run back into the truck bed. By cutting the tubing so “only” 2 inches went into the truck side, the leak problem here was solved!!
2) A piece of the caulking strip had not been installed correctly into the slot between the bulkhead and the bedrail. Water is getting in under the flange. I plan to go back to my installer and have some more caulking installed.

Rick was able to do a couple of water tests to ensure he was on the right track. I hope the hotel did not mind him using the water from the pool!!

I want to thank Rick and Dan for taking the time to help me out. All the Roll-N-Lock folks were eager to help me improve the installation of their find product. If anyone else has a problem, I highly recommend calling their 800 number.
Now this is what you call customer service!!!! :D

Are the rest of you Mfrs and vendors paying attention?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had the same pleasant experience with Dan and everyone in the service department, and at the entire company, for that matter.

Unlike another company that I've mentioned previously........

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the Atlanta area and would like to use Rick for my installation. Where might I contact him (800 number)? Thanks, I hope you're still happy with your tonneau.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts