Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was foggy this morning with heavy condensation on my RL. I like to drive with my windows down in mild weather, so after a few blocks, figuring the bulk of condensation had rolled off due to wind and motion, I rolled them all down. I go another half mile or so, stop at a red light, and a concentrated torrent of water came pouring inside, right on top of the master window switch cluster.

When I look at the roof, I can't figure out where it came from. It was certainly more than would be on the outer edge, it had to come from the gutter. Does water accumulate under the plastic trim?

Anyone else encounter this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Happened to me yesterday. It had rained a little during the night and when I drove away around 10 AM water dripped down on the window controls.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Do either of these RL's have sunroofs or roof racks installed? From past experiences I have driven a short distance and when I stopped the water on the roof came forward and ran in with the window down, not that uncommon. This happens mainly when I wash the vehicle, drive it around the block to get the water out from the cracks and back to dry it off.

trainman

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
In 2010, the Fit was recalled due to water leaking into the power window switches resulting in fires.
In 2012, the CR-V was recalled for the same issue.
In 2013, more Fits were recalled for the same issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do either of these RL's have sunroofs or roof racks installed? From past experiences I have driven a short distance and when I stopped the water on the roof came forward and ran in with the window down, not that uncommon. This happens mainly when I wash the vehicle, drive it around the block to get the water out from the cracks and back to dry it off.

trainman
No sunroof or rack. Just the regular plastic trim...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No sunroof or rack. Just the regular plastic trim. This was a lot of water, I'm used to drips coming in, but this was probably 4oz all at once. Doesn't seem like much, but water was standing in every spot of the armrest including any pockets where the switches are. Went back out at lunch and it still wasn't all dry, even in a black vehicle under a glaring sun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In 2010, the Fit was recalled due to water leaking into the power window switches resulting in fires.
In 2012, the CR-V was recalled for the same issue.
In 2013, more Fits were recalled for the same issue.
Uh-oh, it's a genetic problem! lol.

If you know, what was the fix? Stop the water or waterproof the switches?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I had that happen in the past and it's one of the reasons why I added Side Window Deflectors.
I like to crack the windows a little when it's hot out and don't have to worry if it rains.

Attachments

Reactions: Border411

·
Registered
246 Posts
You had your windows up correct?
No he rolled them down after driving a little thinking that the water rolled off. So he is surprised that it didn't and wants to know if the water pools up and hides out under the roof rails waiting for you to stop so it then can attack you through your open window when you're least expecting it.

If I didn't know better I'd think the windows are in on it too.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
That used to happen on some of the company cars I've had over the years. It was really annoying and some guys actually came up with deflectors above the window and door that would keep it from coming in . Just a thin sticky self adhesive kind of thing that stopped it and directed it towards the windshield. It worked. Might need something like that on these things too.

Steve M

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Does it happen on Canadian models ? :|

Just the kind of thing predicted to be missed by the new prototyping protocol.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
We've solved the problem here in Georgia. It doesn't rain anymore.
It will come back. We had drought here for 5 straight years. Res's massively down, water limitations for irrigation purposes down to once a week then no lawn watering at all for stretches during that time. Only allowed for foundation, and hand watering allowed only during day and time specific intervals. Massive restrictions. Then after 5 years, in spring of 2015, it rained for 3 months straight, and I mean every day. I've never seen anything like it and I've lived in my area for 40+ years. I had to go through the property and relandscape for drought, now I've gone back through it yet again, to deal with the flooding caused by such massive and elongated rain, plumbing all the gutters into pvc in the ground, putting in some boxes (drains) in two lower areas. Back and forth, back and forth. $$$$. Be prepared for when it comes back, it will, and that beotch mother nature will pay y'all back in spades, all at once.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Enjoying my 2017 Ridgeline, except for the water that drips on to my leather seat when I open the drivers door after it has rained. What ever happened to that time honored and functional roof gutter that used to be standard on all cars & trucks? It galls me to keep a towel in the seat next to me so I can dry the drivers seat each time I open the door...for the current cost of this vehicle, some provisions for water run-off should have been already in place.
Poor design work on Honda's part.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Had some roll off mine and onto the door trim yesterday. I remembered the issue posted here. Didn't really see where it came from. I am thinking the gutter fills and the wind pushes it back to the point of overflow. Then when stopping inertia pushes it back forward creating an overflow situation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts