Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have read several posts that talk about the wet headliner issue and how it can be related to the seam cracking under the roof rack/rain channel trim and/or the sunroof drains being clogged.

In my case, I had observed leaks each time it would rain, however, I recall the leaks were not evident in the winters. This could simply be bad recall or coincidence. Due to this I assumed the hot summer temperatures cause the seam in the rain channels to expand or the sealer to melt.
I waited for a hot day and decided to remove the headliner and the roof rack. I found a few rusted bolts that attach to the roof studs and a good bit of debris in the rain channels after removing the trim pieces.

Next I sprayed the roof with a water hose for a few minutes and entered the cab feeling confident I will find the source of the leak and be able to identify the area of entry. I was surprised when I didn’t find a single drop anywhere. And confused of course. I repeated the process, more water, more inspecting from inside the cab. Nothing.

I decided to stop and try again another day. As I drove the truck back into the driveway and turned slightly, I heard water swishing up above that I had heard many times before a leak. Only this time without the headliner installed, I immediately saw water splashing into the cab. I decided to drive around in circles a couple of times, in both directions and continued to see water pour into the cab.

I opened the sunroof and saw the sunroof tray was still loaded with water. Since the drain tubes inside the cab appeared properly connected I poked around in the tray in the front corners to discover the two small drain holes, which were completely blocked with what was some hard material, like small pieces of twigs. Or perhaps some other debris had hardened over time and formed the shape of the drain hole openings.

As soon as I cleared the obstructions, the water drained away down the tubes and the sunroof tray was empty. I felt a tremendous sense of relief and satisfaction that I had finally identified the problem. But that was only one problem - the clogged drain holes. But just because the sunroof tray was filling up, why was water entering the cab through what I expected to be a sealed roof?

In the photos you can see water droplets on the sheet metal inside the cab. I have marked the areas where I saw water enter. Should this area not be fully sealed? I expect there should be no way water would enter even if the sunroof tray fills up.
Before I put everything back together, I need some help and advice on the following:

Front sunroof drains have been unclogged and I will take an air compressor and blow into the tube. Should I do anything else here? Should I install some small screens at the drain holes somehow? Thoughts?
  1. How do I inspect the rear sunroof drains? I don’t seem to have access from up top.
  2. How do I seal the area around the sunroof frame (black) and the sheetmetal (body color) inside the cab. This is the area where water enters on both sides.
  3. Should I conclude there are no leaks in the rain channels since there was no water entry under those?
  4. Since the roof studs aren’t rusted, I will simply replace the rusted bolts with new ones. Thoughts?
Any other thoughts, advice, feedback and suggestions are welcome. I am hoping I can seal the entry points and close everything back up soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Wow, thanks for the pictures, where after seeing this I actually opened up our sunroof, stepped up and inspected it, we have no roof rack installed. Maybe because it is just a little over a year old there wasn't even hardly any dust in the wells around the sunroof, how long did it take to get the accumulation that you are showing? I am thinking I'll be paying attention to this area somewhat more frequently now?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TBH I have not been driving much over the last year. It has stayed parked in the driveway getting rain, sun, leaves, twigs and pollen. And I have not ever checked the sunroof tray or the rain channels before. Now I know I will be checking and checking frequently.

I’m still looking for any information on whether it is normal to have gaps for the water to enter the cab as I outlined above and how to seal. Ready to put it all back together after that.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Back in the day my VW's sunroof had the same issue, clogged drains. Here's what I was told by a general mechanic. Sun roofs are not designed to be completely waterproof. The gasket around the edge is designed to deflect most of the water but some will still make it into the well where the sunroof sits. The drain holes are designed to direct the little bit that gets through to drain away and not pool. So as long as your sunroof gaskets are pliable and sealing the system works. If the sunroof gaskets get worn, torn or rotten then more water will seep through. If the drains are clogged then when you start, stop, turn, the water will pour down inside. Usually down the back of your neck.

The only 100% way to avoid this is to not have a sunroof.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after doing some more inspections around the sunroof, I realized there are gaps around most of the sunroof frame inside the cab. It appears that is how it is molded so I abandoned my pursuit of trying to seal all around. I am concluding that the rain channel around the sunroof will carry the water to the four corners to drain down the tubes. If they are clogged or it rains so heavily that the channel/tray floods, it will enter the cab. I’m not happy about this but at this point I have come to accept it.

Due to testing for this water leak and playing around with the sunroof a few times, I forgot to close it one day. Now my seats are damaged. Will post a new thread for that. So bummed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@HRL383, I had already reinstalled the headliner before I saw your message. I will try to take photos from the outside when the sunroof is open. Maybe even make a short video.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Please keep in mind that if a person wants a Ridgeline, unless they are content with the basic model(s), a moon/sun roof was/is not an option!

Bill
Sunroofs in general, not specifically Honda. Every vehicle I've owned with a sunroof required occasional maintenance such as cleaning out the drains and checking the gasket. Mine Ridge has a sunroof and due to past experience with sunroofs I occasionally open the sunroof and check the seal and drains. Also, if you don't open and close a sunroof regularly the gaskets can "stick" to the roof line and tear when you open it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, newbie here. I recently purchased an 06 ridgeline the other day and since then, after owning a Honda Pilot, I know specifically, what to look out for. First thing I did Was to immediately gut the interior, sight unseen. First thing I did was to clean everything. Seats, seatbelts, carpet, remove the headliner, absolutely everything. Including the roof rack. I thoroughly washed the truck and let it dry. *Cleaned the roof channels then re-sealed.
*removed both front plastic fender liners and removed about 5 pounds of dirt, mud and vegetation. I learned from the past pilot.
*inspected the drain tubes for the sunroof at the a pillar and c pillar. While removing all of them, I noticed that the drain hose that attaches to the reed valves were barely on there. So I went to the local pet store and purchased enough clear piping for all the drains to the sunroof and sealed he reed valves at all corners. I can see why so many people have issues with wet and damp smelling interiors.
*removed the headliner, set it against my back fence and was off the old glue/ form backing. Completely fine since it’s fiberglass material.
*removed the whole interior carpet assembly and washed while hanging on my fence. Dried out completely and look 100% brans new to my surprise.
*removed the sunroof assy and cleaned the slider track and lubricated so now, slides back and forth easily.
* sealed the seams on the exterior part of the c pillar
*removed the cabin vent located beneath the rear glass and completely sealed. Much quieter and cabin stay cooler, since it’s blocked off.
Removed the rear sliding glass assy, then washed and lubricated. Much quieter during open/ closing sequence. Fixed the issue with the seal folding by cleaning and lubricated with winzer branded silicone aerosol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Front sunroof drains have been unclogged and I will take an air compressor and blow into the tube.
I highly recommend NOT blowing air into the sunroof drains. Reason being, if you follow where the drain tube meets into the reed valves, you will realize 1. The valves are very loose at the end of the hose. 2. Even if you do blow debris towards the end, you’ll just end up packing whatever that was in there to clog at the 90 degree bends. 3. You’ll notice the reed valve has a small opening. So shoving anything including pressurized air will blow out the hose from the connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
These are the reed valves. Left is for a pillar and right is for the c pillar. Again, there were barely on there. What I’m going to do is to cement and clamp it in place.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Geeez......you do all that and all I want to do is remove enough plastic grill to install a tranny fluid cooler. I figure I will screw it up somehow.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here are the new hoses. I can't say for sure if the valves are just worn out, or if in fact the new hoses fit 200% better. Any how, I will be replacing all of the drain lines. Including the rear cross drain line which apparently got caught by the rear headliner or the rear pass interior light assy.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Geeez......you do all that and all I want to do is remove enough plastic grill to install a tranny fluid cooler. I figure I will screw it up somehow.🤷‍♂️
I absolutely despise leaks or any kind of "Problems" regarding my vehicles. If it can be better or fixed some way shape or form, I will do it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
.......and I commend you for your abilities and talent. Over the years, I’ve just had too many things I’ve attempted break or get screwed up (by me). Im going to attempt the tranny cooler install, but that may be it. Too hard to get down on the ground and even harder to get back up.☹

1 - 20 of 20 Posts