Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to install an aftermarket roof mounted monitor for the back seat passengers. I would like to know where the roof mounting plate is on the Ridgeline. Looking at the instructions for the OEM roof mount, there is a supplied template that helps you locate the area where you cut into the headliner. It does not give any real measurements. I would like to know how far from the front and rear dome lights the four holes for the mounting plate is.

I am hoping someone here knows. I do not want to miss when I cut the hole. Taking the whole headliner off would mean the possibility of screwing up the side air bags. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You might want to consider going down to your dealership and asking them if they have anything for this, like maybe they could loan you a template if they have one out of the package. Is there something about the aftermarket one that is better than the OEM or is it just that it is like less that 50% of the cost (yes the OEM is over priced)?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picture in picture and split screen, plus it's a 15 inch monitor. Made by Clarion. 4 inputs, one output, and has infrared remote and wireless headphone feature.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've found that most of the time they will give you the installations instructions if you ask, so i would say go in to honda stealership and ask the most they can say is no...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try the dealership, but they would have to have one in stock. I don't think it's a best seller. Like you said it won't hurt to try.

I am pretty sure the plate will be at the b-pillar location.

thanks for the input, guys.........

·
Registered
174 Posts
mugen1 said:
I will try the dealership, but they would have to have one in stock. I don't think it's a best seller. Like you said it won't hurt to try.

I am pretty sure the plate will be at the b-pillar location.

thanks for the input, guys.........
When i've gone in the instructions are printed for the stealerships computer, so i dont think they even have to have one in stock... good luck

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the OEM roof mount instructions in pdf, but the template is a cardboard thing you tape onto the headliner.

Anyway, I took the plunge and started cutting. It makes sense that the mounting holes be in line with the B-pillar, and it was. I stuck masking tape from centre of front courtesy lights to centre of rear courtesy lights, and from left B-pillar to right B-pillar. Drew a rectangle about 4 inches by 3 inches. Cutting into the headliner on a prayer was a bit exhilarating. I'll post pics later. The drop down screen is amazing. Picture in picture and split screen is so neat............ anyway, another project done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
mugen1 said:
I have the OEM roof mount instructions in pdf, but the template is a cardboard thing you tape onto the headliner.

Anyway, I took the plunge and started cutting. It makes sense that the mounting holes be in line with the B-pillar, and it was. I stuck masking tape from centre of front courtesy lights to centre of rear courtesy lights, and from left B-pillar to right B-pillar. Drew a rectangle about 4 inches by 3 inches. Cutting into the headliner on a prayer was a bit exhilarating. I'll post pics later. The drop down screen is amazing. Picture in picture and split screen is so neat............ anyway, another project done.
PLEASE POST PICS. Thiis is the kinda stuff that we really need people in this forum to document and post pics. It only helps everyone.

Really appreciate it. THanks!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arrrgggg!!!!!! I'm so sorry, guys. I spent the whole evening installing the thing and only took pictures of the hole I cut in the headliner. The reason why I didn't take more pics was that I was in a bit of a rush to install the thing by the time I had to pick up my son and his friends from a week long camping trip early this morning. I wanted it to be a surprise for him and his buddies who are really into video games. Anyway, my daughter and I spent 5 hours putting it all together late last night. Good bonding experience, as I rarely spend quality time with her -- to me, quality time is working on cars.

Most of the time was spent making a custom mount for the frame the monitor sits on, taking both B-pillar covers off, and covering up all the cables. Electrical hook up was very simple. Being an aftermarket system that has three audio/video inputs and three outputs, that part of it was just plug and play.

I didn't have time to hook up the courtesy lights that the overhead monitor comes with, so when I take things apart to do that, I'll take more pics. The infrared wireless headphones are a really nice touch. I can listen to my "old fart" music (60's and 70's hits), while the kids put on their headphones and play their Nintendo games in the back seat.

For the last few weeks, the kids and I have been watching a great deal of DVD's in the car. We drive up to the local theatre complex and watch movies right there in the parking lot. No obnoxious people around us, we can replay scenes at any time, and the sound is waaayyyy better than in any theatre. Plus, the seats are very nice. All I need now is a popcorn maker. We choose the theatre parking lot, which btw is 5 minutes from home, because of the irony of it all. The money I save on not buying theatre food will pay for the stereo equipment -- K, maybe not a good excuse. My wife's gonna kill me when she finds out how much everything cost me. I figure the time I get to spend with my teenage kids is not going to last much longer -- it's a small price to pay. I've spent most of my parent days working two jobs to pay off the mortgage. Now that it's almost paid off, I've quit one of my jobs. I need to spend more time with the kids. There, now I feel better for spending thousands on the system. Convincing oneself and justifying it all is pretty hard sometimes.

Sorry for the long confession. I will post pics as soon as I have the opportunity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts