Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I commit to installing a OEM roof rack on my new new RTL-E, I would appreciate any available feedback/experience with OEM or aftermarket racks for the RL (I realize the aftermarket will need time to catch up).
Specifically I guess I'd like to know - especially from those with G1 RL experience and opinions - if I can expect a fair number of aftermarket roof racks to come on the market that provide good looks, good load rating, cross bar adjustability, and reasonably deep market presence (i.e. Yakima - my typical choice, or Thule, etc., and thereby I can expect lots of accessories and attachments made to fit the rack).

I'd also be interested in knowing if I can expect (based on past products seen for G1s or other makes/models) any kind of 'combination' racks (front cab rack that works in conjunction with bed rack) that can (somehow) be made to attach (and preferably be easily unattached) to the RL bed/sides so as to provide a long load length (I have two 12' kayaks).

Lastly, what about setting the G2 RL up as a work truck... with bed-mounted bins and trays, ladder racks, etc., (based again on things seen or used in the past for Gen1's). I know a lot of this will depend on aftermarket caps and covers that have yet to (or may never) hit the market... just trying to decide whether to go ahead with the OEM roof rack or wait for something better. Thx

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had roof rack on G1, Found it super useful. Got one on new RTL-E actually got dealer to throw it in and mount it for free. I used it with thule ski rack and I would just put kayak on top with ratcheting tie downs. It is the only extra option I got added on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am not sure if you were a G1 owner - but one of the biggest disappointments as a G1 owner has been aftermarket support ...for anything - you can drill holes in your roof and install anything you want... but as for a custom non-OEM G2 roof rack coming anytime soon I seriously doubt it - you will most likely be stuck with the OEM rack for ease of install - but they are super duper useful but do add some wind noise at high speeds -

·
Registered
275 Posts
BUMP! How did it go PhatDaddy?? I have all of the same concerns as you expressed here. My new E has nothing so far. Trying to decide if I want the OEM rail with another after market removable rail or a completely removable system
Greg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did this, this weekend for about 500 miles bombing around some Florida springs. Removable Thule racks. Put some paint protective film under the bases. Worked pretty flawlessly. I even modded the rubber pads to fit the Ridgeline, 'cuz nothing was available yet.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
One thought occurs to me.
Can anyone with a cap and cab rack, confirm that the height of the rack on the cab is close enough to level with the height of the rack on a cap?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did this, this weekend for about 500 miles bombing around some Florida springs. Removable Thule racks. Put some paint protective film under the bases. Worked pretty flawlessly. I even modded the rubber pads to fit the Ridgeline, 'cuz nothing was available yet.

Can you

Can you give the model # or details? Looks great! Like how wide you can get the bars apart

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can you

Can you give the model # or details? Looks great! Like how wide you can get the bars apart
I picked up the Thule Traverse feet on Craigslist and modded the rubber feet to fit. They were previously on both a Camry and a Nissan.

The cross bars are 43" apart. I found 65" square crossbars (you could go longer) and added #847 Boat Load assist extension bar and #503 load stops (someone was blowing them out cheap on Ebay.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Onrailunder - I have been thinking of making the Ridgline my next vehicle and on of my concerns was being able to carry a kayak or SUP on top. For reference can you tell me the lenght of your canoe? I have a 14' SUP and would prefer to use Thule removable racks like you have without going to a bed ladder or bed extender. Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Onrailunder - I have been thinking of making the Ridgline my next vehicle and on of my concerns was being able to carry a kayak or SUP on top. For reference can you tell me the lenght of your canoe? I have a 14' SUP and would prefer to use Thule removable racks like you have without going to a bed ladder or bed extender. Thanks!
I have a 14.5' kayak that fits no problem on the Thule crossbars mounted to the factory rails

·
Registered
1 Posts

My 2009 Ridgeline had a hook under the front bumper to attach a line to secure the front of my Kayak ,but my new 2018 Ridgeline does not have it - how did you secure the front line ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jsport roof rack... after hours of installation...I don't like it. Maybe will grow on me, but I don't know. Led bar or off road lights will change for a better look.
IMG_5128.jpg
IMG_5127.jpg
IMG_5126 (1).jpg
IMG_5125.jpg
IMG_5124.jpg
IMG_5122.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts