Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us with the roof rack, do you actually use it to haul things or just for looks? So far I have not hauled anything on mine, has anyone else?

I'm not really talking about the optional cargo boxes from Honda, I want to know if anyone has strapped down the cargo right to the rack?

Drive on......

·
Registered
720 Posts
I also bought it for the looks!

It looked so bare on top.....

In fact I did take off the cross bars due to wind noise issues. Not that hard to remove.....

TL

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
ski/snowboard rack

·
Registered
678 Posts
Got mine for both reasons....looks and future use. I figure someday I may put a thing or two up top so I'd better have one. It does make the truck look nice too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I like the look and maybe someday I could have used it to carry stuff, but we get a lot of snow in the winter here and its hard to remove snow with the rack, so I didn't get one.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Like Basils, I got it for looks and the potential for future use.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
basils said:
Got mine for both reasons....looks and future use. I figure someday I may put a thing or two up top so I'd better have one. It does make the truck look nice too.
Ditto here. I almost hauled a few 12ft boards but a friend saw me and took them to the jobsite for me, another reason was I got called into work and had to get going..... But I would of hauled them up there.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Besides my cargo box I have carried a couple 12' composite deck boards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mayfielh said:
Besides my cargo box I have carried a couple 12' composite deck boards.
Can you tell me how far apart you can place the crossbars?? I don't have the factory rack yet, but I have a Yakima box and the closest they can be is about 31". I don't believe Yakima or Thule have anything in the works for the Ridge as far as a rack goes...?

Thanks,

Chip

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You can place the bars up to 30" apart (distance between centers). The rack itself is marked with an 18" recommended spacing.
Thule has a whole bunch of accessories for the oem rack, as does Honda. Thule don't offer a rack mount that uses the built in bolt points - instead they have the clamp type, but at $232 the cost is not far off that of the oem rack - $258.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I love the looks of it. I also use it regulary, but not for carrying things. I need the combination of the running boards and the roof rack to wash the windshield. I am too short (5'5") to adequately reach the center of the windshield without that boost. The roof rack gives me something solid to hang onto while I make the swipes.

Someday I know we will use the rack for hauling something. It just hasn't been necessary yet. We've used the racks on all of our other vehicles at some point.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We don't have a Yakima mounted on the Ridgeline yet...but on my Maxima we've carried on the bar portion (bike trays removed):
Double mattress, book case, lawn furniture, xmas trees, 2x4's and sprinkler pipe (hanging over front and back with home depot flags). We tossed our newly purchased Tandem on top (with a moving blanket)...flat and roped it down, and antique double iron bed headboard/footboard.

That rack can carry up to 250 lbs...so as long as the load is safely TIED...we use it like the Beverly Hillbillies and carry all sorts of stuff on it!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Strictly for looks............. I'll admit it.

I do like the suggestion of taking the cross bars off - great idea!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You bet I used it, and was pleased with the performance. With the bed & trunk already full of coolers, gear, etc. for a 2 week camping trip, we had 3 large & 2 medium duffle bags strapped to the roof rack. Just strapped them down with some inexpensive nylon staps. Was as solid as a rock.
Just be sure if you do this, to tighten the staps in a manner that pulls the load against the rack, as opposed to pulling the rack against itself, if you know what I mean. (you don't want to pull the bars against themselves)

Motored down the hiway at high speed w/no issues, save for a few bugs on the front of the forward duffle!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I did it for the looks....................... I made sure that it was included in the deal because mine did not come with one. It'll be installed at 8am tomarrow. I'll post before and after pics to show the difference.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not as yet but come Spring, kayaks and canoes!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts