Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The literature says that the roof rack has a 110 lb carrying capacity. I assume that it can actually carry a bit more. Right?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Static load (load not moving): I would say it probably could hold more than 110 lbs.

Dynamic load (load is moving): I would say do not go over 110 lbs.

Now you say, "The load won't be moving because I will have it strapped down/attached to the roof rack." There in lies the fatal flaw. Your load will be moving and depending on the bumpiness of the road, or one good dip in the road, that 110 lbs can GREATLY increase. The roof rack is not connected to your frame so there is some flex in the cross members. If the load is too much and a dynamic force (going over a dip) is exerted on the crossmembers......snap! :eek:

Try this; take a paper towel and place a full soda can on it. Now gently and slowly lift the paper towel up so that the paper towel holds the weight of the can. Now give the paper towel a fast little up and down motion, like a car going over a dip or bump. What happened? :eek: Same thing with the roof rack. Depending on the quality of your paper towel, you may need to get it a little wet.

Do you really want to risk it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't forsee a problem with strapping a canoe on top. The ends of the are tied to the frame/bumpers.

·
Registered
430 Posts
How heavy is the canoe? Just because the ends are tied to the bumper/frame that doesn't mean the downward load/force (i.e. weight) is transmitted to the bumper/frame. The only thing the tie-straps, rope, bungee, etc. are doing is preventing the canoe from sliding off or bouncing up. The roof rack is still supporting the load. If you don't believe me, try lifting the canoe by pushing up on the tie-straps, rope, bungee, etc.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think the proper solution is to make a variety of racks (perhaps modular) that fit into the bed extender brackets. I was tempted to start my own company to do just that. But I'm too lazy so far to start my own company.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Right there with you Grok and Steve. I have been thinking of the very same thing. I bet that either Honda or an aftermarket company will develop one and they will sell a bunch of them.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If your RL is equipped with a hitch, can't you attach some type of extender off the hitch which will help distribute the weight? In the example of the canoe, put one end on the roof rack and the other on the hitch extender. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
430 Posts
That would work much better. You now have two points that are carrying the weight of the canoe (or something else that is long). Is essence the weight on your roof rack was just halved.

This would also be more stable from a twisting and rocking stand point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts