Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a RTL with a roof rack. The factory roof rack creates a lot of wind noise. I drove other Ridgelines with and without the roof rack and there is significant wind nosie with the rack and almost no noise without the rack.

So, time for some experimentation. I moved the cross rails to the back of the rack....the wind noise level was about the same but now I could hear it from the top rear of the cab.

I then moved the cross rails to the front. The wind noise was at the same level but moved to the front of the cab.

Since the roof rack was primarily for looks (came on the one I wanted at the dealership), I removed the cross rails entirely from the roof rack and the wind noise reduced by approximately 50%. This level of noise is much more tolerable. I have also placed silver duct tape on the open slots of the rails and I can not tell this reduces noise. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I, too, purchased the roof rack mainly for appearance-sake.
I notice the wind noise at 35mph and it's quite pronounced.
I have two other vehicles (Ford Escape and Mercury Mountaineer) that have roof racks and they do not make any noticeable noise.

Does the factory-installed rack make much noise?
Let me know.

PS
Anyone in the market for a Ford Escape or Mercury Mountaineer???? :rolleyes:
I'm seriously contemplating selling both and getting my wife a Pilot.
Dang Ridgeline, my first Honda and it has changed me from a "Ford man" to a "Honda man"! (who owns a "girly truck"!!!!) :D

MJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the description above relates to the factory roof rack. As you stated it makes a lot of noise beginning at relatively low speeds 30 - 35 mph.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Trader said:
I have recently purchased a RTL with a roof rack. The factory roof rack creates a lot of wind noise. I drove other Ridgelines with and without the roof rack and there is significant wind nosie with the rack and almost no noise without the rack.

So, time for some experimentation. I moved the cross rails to the back of the rack....the wind noise level was about the same but now I could hear it from the top rear of the cab.

I then moved the cross rails to the front. The wind noise was at the same level but moved to the front of the cab.

Since the roof rack was primarily for looks (came on the one I wanted at the dealership), I removed the cross rails entirely from the roof rack and the wind noise reduced by approximately 50%. This level of noise is much more tolerable. I have also placed silver duct tape on the open slots of the rails and I can not tell this reduces noise. Hope this helps someone.

Trader:
How hard was it to remove the rails? I took mine to the dealership on Thursday and they strongly recommneded against it! Said it was a major job and that the entire rack needed to be unbolted in order to unscrew the end pieces from the side rails. I would need torque bits (which I don't currently have). How long did it take and do you have any instructions or recommendations on how to do this? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is very easy. You could do it yourself.
Simply unsnap the plastic covers on the front and middle of side rails. This will expose 2 torx screws under each cover. Remove the torx screws (4 places times 2 screws = 8 screws).

Then there are 2 screws under each side rail that holds the front plastic mount to the side rail.. Remove the screws, slide off the plastic mount, then slide out the cross rails. It really is very easy. About 20 minutes max total to accomplish this.

You can also look at the installation description of the rack to better explain how this is accomplished.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline.html

·
Registered
88 Posts
Trader:
You're a star! I removed the cross rails and my wind noise is gone. I can now ride in the calmness that those without racks experience. Thanks for the detailed tip! :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
For rlguy: Other posts have talked about a problem with the windshield that makes a whistling noise. Is that what you have?

For the people who removed the cross bars: The wind noise I have is noticable but not that bad. It does should hollow so I was wondering if it's really the cross bar vibrating in the wind rather than actual wind noise. I was thinking about taking the bars off and filling them with a low expansion foam and putting them back. Any comments on this idea?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ROColorado.... My opinion is that foam in the crossbars won't work. The crossbars are very well constructed and very rigid. I don't think it is vibration that was making the noise.

The overall roof rack is one of the largest you will see on any vehicle. Since my original wind noise problem, I have been observing other roof racks. The Ridgeline one is typically much larger than most. This in itself would account for a lot more wind resistance, therefore....more wind noise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ROColorado, I would agree with Trader in that this rack is substantially larger than most (specifically the cross rails). I removed my rails, but did not cover the slots. I would also agree that it probably doesn't much matter if the side rails are covered or not. Now that the bulk of my wind noise is gone, I can barely detect some noise from the front rack posts. These are rather substantial as well. Not much you can do to eliminate that however.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's too bad Honda doesn't offer a wind deflector (do they?) to go with the roof rack. That would help a lot with the noise (which I've noticed now too). When I bought the Yakima racks for my wagon, the noise was *insufferable* -- I'm talking, really, really, really bad, even with all windows and moon roof closed. I got the Yakima deflector, which cost too much money IMHO, but man, did it make a huge difference! Honda, are you listening? :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
flymuck said:
It's too bad Honda doesn't offer a wind deflector (do they?) to go with the roof rack. That would help a lot with the noise (which I've noticed now too). When I bought the Yakima racks for my wagon, the noise was *insufferable* -- I'm talking, really, really, really bad, even with all windows and moon roof closed. I got the Yakima deflector, which cost too much money IMHO, but man, did it make a huge difference! Honda, are you listening? :)
Oh I definitely agree with you that a deflector should be considered, but I believe that this is really an aftermarket product produced for Honda and is from Thule. I am surprised Thule hasn't offered any products yet for the Ridgeline. Honestly I don't notice any noise from the roofrack, but maybe I am just deafer than I really think.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The reason why I suggested it should be OEM rather than after-market is because I know at least in the case of the Yakima deflector, the fit is much better when you also have the Yakima racks (although it will work with other racks). Same probably goes for Thule, since they are pretty even competitors. I just would rather have something that is *made* for our roof racks, and maybe even says "Honda" or "Ridgeline" on it rather than "Thule" or "Yakima". :)

Maybe I'll just snag my wind deflector off the wagon and see if it works, and whether or not it makes a difference... I'll post the results. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just put over 500 miles on my Ridgeline with roof rack and running boards at speeds of 60-75 MPH and did not detect any undue noise. After all, a 32K vehicle probably won't be as quiet as one costing 350K.

Not only that, half the trip was in driving rain on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and I had no interior water leaks or other complaints about the truck.

I knew going in this was not a Rolls-Royce, so I expected some noises. However, this is probably the quietest vehicle I have owned to date (over 45 vehicles of all types).

It is a very comfortable truck with loads of great features, otherwise my wife would not have bought it for me! Yepper, she was a good catch (but she still is not allowed to take the truck to work or drive it without adult supervision - me).

Yes, my Access Roll-Up cover leaks a little and I have had it back to the installer for a fix, but the fix didn't work, so I will "fix" it myself. I have pinpointed the problem (small openings at either corner on the leading edges of the cover's metal parts). Climb inside the bed, close the tailgate, and have someone shine a strong light around the edges of the cover - you'll soon find the leak. Fix the leak and quit complaining.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Interesting:

I just found this in the install instructions of the roof rack:

11. To reduce wind noise, cut the rubber molding from each roof rack and install the pieces of the rubber molding you just cut between the crossbars.

Can anyone explain where this rubber molding is and came from so that I can check for it?

I aslo noticed that you have to cut the roof molding to install the roof rack making it a permenent install unless you purchase new roof moldings. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
ninefive0:

If you look at the roof (without rack) you'll notice a rubber strip installed in the channels that run the length of the roof. The installer basically removes this strip, then installs the rack on the roof. They then cut the strip into pieces that will fill the channel gaps in between the front, back and middle roof rack support pieces. If you ever decided to remove the roof rack at a later time, you'd have to order new rubber pieces to fill the entire channel as the original rubber pieces were cut up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
tricycleone: most of the time the roof rack wind noise only happens to me when there's a cross-wind. So, sometimes it's very quiet, and sometimes the cross-wind hits it and it's pretty loud. This being the case, I guess a deflector wouldn't help, because it's not the head-wind that's the problem. Oh well. I just turn the radio up. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
ninefive0:

If you look at the roof (without rack) you'll notice a rubber strip installed in the channels that run the length of the roof. The installer basically removes this strip, then installs the rack on the roof. They then cut the strip into pieces that will fill the channel gaps in between the front, back and middle roof rack support pieces. If you ever decided to remove the roof rack at a later time, you'd have to order new rubber pieces to fill the entire channel as the original rubber pieces were cut up.
So this rubber piece should be cut up and installed in the channels between the cross racks (per instructions)?

I would have to remove these rubber parts to slide the cross racks forward or back?

I'm just trying to find out if the pieces are installed in my rack.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts