Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently acquired some OEM Black Roof Rails and crossbars from fellow ROC member @Alakar . He was super helpful in sending pictures, giving me part numbers for the roof clips I’d need and packed them up diligently to avoid any scratching or damage, thank you!

91501-TG7-A03
CLIP, ROOF MOLDING (M6)
91502-TG7-A01
CLIP, ROOF MOLDING (M8)

The Honda directions for install are pretty good, just a couple of notes I figured I’d pass on:

• For 2019 and up, I believe, they changed to a 10mm nut holding the front molding cover on instead of a plastic clip, which is good! Start by taking this off first.
  • Use your plastic trim tool to remove the roof molding, starting at the front and working your way back. Try to pry near the clips. It will require a decent amount of pressure. The clips will break, it’s ok. Make sure you have new ones ready. There will be yellow ones and white ones, take them all off. You will only be replacing the white ones (small yellow ones for the front molding cover if pre-2019)
  • The measurements included with the instructions for where to cut are perfect, use those. I used an angle grinder with a 4” metal cutting disc, took about 5 seconds per side. I put masking tape where I was cutting to get a clean cut.
  • Reinstall newly cut molding cover with new clips - it will now only have 3 clip points.
  • IMPORTANT: Get yourself a M8x1.25 Flange nut and chase the threads of the roof rail studs!!! They are painted over and provide a lot of resistance for the TORX nuts that are too easy to strip. Chase all 8 studs a few times to ensure clean threads for the TORX nuts to attach too.
That’s it, easy breezy. If I would’ve chased the threads first, it would’ve taken about 45 minutes from start to finish.

I stuck with just the roof rails for now, will throw the cross bars on and see how the wind noise is. Honestly, the aesthetics of the roof rails is what was most important to me :)

Here’s a few pics. BORA 1.25” Spacers go on tomorrow ??

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I recently acquired some OEM Black Roof Rails and crossbars from fellow ROC member @alaskar. He was super helpful in sending pictures, giving me part numbers for the roof clips I’d need and packed them up diligently to avoid any scratching or damage, thank you!

91501-TG7-A03
CLIP, ROOF MOLDING (M6)
91502-TG7-A01
CLIP, ROOF MOLDING (M8)

The Honda directions for install are pretty good, just a couple of notes I figured I’d pass on:

• For 2019 and up, I believe, they changed to a 10mm nut holding the front molding cover on instead of a plastic clip, which is good! Start by taking this off first.
  • Use your plastic trim tool to remove the roof molding, starting at the front and working your way back. Try to pry near the clips. It will require a decent amount of pressure. The clips will break, it’s ok. Make sure you have new ones ready. There will be yellow ones and white ones, take them all off. You will only be replacing the white ones (small yellow ones for the front molding cover if pre-2019)
  • The measurements included with the instructions for where to cut are perfect, use those. I used an angle grinder with a 4” metal cutting disc, took about 5 seconds per side. I put masking tape where I was cutting to get a clean cut.
  • Reinstall newly cut molding cover with new clips - it will now only have 3 clip points.
  • IMPORTANT: Get yourself a M8x1.25 Flange nut and chase the threads of the roof rail studs!!! They are painted over and provide a lot of resistance for the TORX nuts that are too easy to strip. Chase all 8 studs a few times to ensure clean threads for the TORX nuts to attach too.
That’s it, easy breezy. If I would’ve chased the threads first, it would’ve taken about 45 minutes from start to finish.

I stuck with just the roof rails for now, will throw the cross bars on and see how the wind noise is. Honestly, the aesthetics of the roof rails is what was most important to me :)

Here’s a few pics. BORA 1.25” Spacers go on tomorrow ??

View attachment 400256
View attachment 400257
View attachment 400258
View attachment 400259
View attachment 400260
Your truck looks great. Thank you for the helpful tips on the installation.

Reactions: OEM+

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just saw your post. Glad they made it to you with no damage and they look great on you BE!

Just a note; the nut under the cover is specifically made to cut through the paint on the stud. I paid $2.87 each for them from Bernardi. You won't need to chase the threads if you use these.

90301-SV7-000
NUT, PAINT CUTTING (6MM)

Reactions: OEM+

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can't decide if I want some or not. It would be mostly for aesthetics, and then IMO you really need side steps to compliment them.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
481 Posts
I can't decide if I want some or not. It would be mostly for aesthetics, and then IMO you really need side steps to compliment them.
Well to help with your decision I'll give you my opinion. You don't need roof rails if you have side steps, or visa versa. Both are fine all by themselves.
My personal preference is that the truck looks best without the side steps or the roof rails.

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
80 Posts
I recently acquired some OEM Black Roof Rails and crossbars from fellow ROC member

Thought about adding some rails as well. I have a Subaru Baja with them and even though I never use them I do like the looks. Has anyone noticed wind noise with the crossbars installed? Seems like the front one would be right over the moon roof and might cause some noise and/or distraction. Would be nice to know before I invest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tend to agree. While I still like the looks of this truck with just the side steps, I think both provides a more balanced appearance. Especially on the Black Editions since there isn’t any chrome trim to add any detail. The BE’s look very “bare” without either IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought about adding some rails as well. I have a Subaru Baja with them and even though I never use them I do like the looks. Has anyone noticed wind noise with the crossbars installed? Seems like the front one would be right over the moon roof and might cause some noise and/or distraction. Would be nice to know before I invest.
I haven’ t installed the cross bars yet, and probably won’t until they are actually needed. The roof rails were more of an aesthetic choice for me. Most do report an increase in wind noise with the crossbars. Roof rails alone did not have any noticeable effect on the amount of wind noise to me.

·
Registered
19 RTL-E
34 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips in your original post. I installed roof rails today and the tip about chasing the threads saved me a lot of heartache.

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
80 Posts
I tend to agree. While I still like the looks of this truck with just the side steps, I think both provides a more balanced appearance. Especially on the Black Editions since there isn’t any chrome trim to add any detail. The BE’s look very “bare” without either IMO.
Guess ya gotta have somewhere to hold on to when your riding on the running boards. ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips in your original post. I installed roof rails today and the tip about chasing the threads saved me a lot of heartache.
Glad it helped!

Reactions: sgtmac
1 - 11 of 11 Posts