Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just bought our 2017 RTL-E and love it. We are considering a teardrop camper or rooftop tent. I would prefer the tent on a rack over the bed. Has anyone tried this and/or have recommendations for bed racks?

·
Registered
90 Posts
My wife and I just bought our 2017 RTL-E and love it. We are considering a teardrop camper or rooftop tent. I would prefer the tent on a rack over the bed. Has anyone tried this and/or have recommendations for bed racks?
Don't know where you camp but one thing I do know about roof top tents is the are significantly colder than ground tents especially at or below freezing. I think that is one reason they have not taken off here in the US.

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
285 Posts
Hello. Congratulations on your Ridgeline and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if my answers will be exactly what you need, since I have a Gen 1 Ridge. But I installed the VanTech rails on my Gen 1, and then put on Thule rack just above the bed. On the rack, I put a Smitttybilt rooftop tent. This combination works well for me for a spacious, comfortable, off-the-ground sleeping space, without having to pull a trailer. By the way, I can also carry one bike on the rack next to the tent. I'll attach a pic of my setup. You'll notice i parked with my rear wheels elevated. That was to counter the slope of the rails, an issue you don't have with the Gen2. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. We live in San Diego so the cold weather is not a concern for us. I really want to find a rooftop tent solution because I do not want to haul or store a trailer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a 2017 RTL-E and just got rigged up with a Tepui Kukenam SKY. Any questions I'm happy to help where I can, I didn't find too much on RTT with the ridgeline gen 2 in my researching so I more or less designed what I wanted and learned some lessons. I'm coming from a camping background, have had a 16 foot fiberglass egg trailer, tents, etc.. and for my uses this setup seems to be the best so far. Very little maintenance, easy to store and setup, and can just pick up and go when I want. I've got the whole setup on a winch system in the garage so it stores out of the way and I can install and remove from the truck by myself in about ten minutes with the push of a button and some truck bed clamps.

It's only been out on one trip so far (40F, high winds, downpours for half the trip) and it held up like a champ. I packed it up every morning to drive around town (5-10 mins effort) and then set it back up again at night (5-10 mins effort). When I get home from the weekend I air it out good to dry on a table in the garage for a day or two. I'd probably want the tent mounted to a trailer if most of my camping was staying in one spot for a while so you could use the truck during the day without packing up, but my use case is typically just weekend adventures or hoping site to site so it works well for me.

It's setup so the bed rails take all the weight, and the tent folds over the passenger side. I wanted it this way to keep the height down so I could load a dog into the tent easier and just reach up and get items in and out without being on the ladder (I'm 6'). I set the height of the rack to be just enough I can fit my yeti cooler in the bed, but the tent won't stick up over the cab impacting noise and aerodynamics - I didn't really see any MPG reduction on my first trip...maybe 1-2MPG but that's somewhat in the noise..could have just been the speeds I was going. The platform is very sturdy (6061-T6 Square Tube 2" x 0.125") and the mattress was nice and comfy. I keep a deep cycle ATV battery in the bed of the truck in an AMMO can with SAE connectors to power up things like fans, lights, cell phone charger. This can charge with solar or AC power while in use and for me lasts more than the weekend on a charge.

It's still a work in progress, but am very pleased so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice work! I spoke with Nuthouse Industries (they are an expedition equipment mfr) at Overland Expo East last month about making a Ridgeline rack. They make really great stuff for other vehicles and are willing to do custom work. If enough of us show interest I’m sure they may start offering a Ridgeline Rack for the masses. Visit their website and send them an email if interested.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am looking at something similar but mount it on my DiamondBack HD Cover. Its designed to hold 1500 lbs and can be drilled for additional racks. Could be an easy set up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are the cross bars high enough to still open the trunk most of the way?
The PVP pipe holding the rods for the tent is set back far enough toward the cab I can still reach it easily but does not interfere with the trunk. The rack itself is the limiting factor for clearance. I didn't take a measurement but I know I can still pull a yeti roadie 20 in and out of the trunk. The bed lights turn on, but are partially blocked by the trunk (maybe 50-75% bright as normal?). I always used a flashlight anyway...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking at something similar but mount it on my DiamondBack HD Cover.
Being a fan of completely overdesigned things, I thought the DiamondBack covers were really the only option on the market that offered a very sturdy mounting setup for the ridgeline gen 2 with a RTT without making any holes. I think that company sells rails that mount right to them, but I was looking at the yakima options that bolt down to any flat surface for the added security of having locks on the other accessories that went on the bars. By the time I added up all the costs it was almost 2x what I had in a custom rack, even without the HD option. I just couldn't justify it when RTT was really my only use for it and I likely wouldn't have the cover on most of the time anyway (and thus would be another thing to store). If you've already got the cover for other things go for it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got the honda bed tent and I've got Z E R O complaints about it. It took a bit to set up the 1st time around, but after that...it's been easy peasy.
And it also has zippered openings for the rear compartment and the side panel outlet pocket so you can access everything without removing the tent.
And it's perfect because it takes up minimal space when tucked away in its bag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a 2017 RTL-E and just got rigged up with a Tepui Kukenam SKY. Any questions I'm happy to help where I can, I didn't find too much on RTT with the ridgeline gen 2 in my researching so I more or less designed what I wanted and learned some lessons. I'm coming from a camping background, have had a 16 foot fiberglass egg trailer, tents, etc.. and for my uses this setup seems to be the best so far. Very little maintenance, easy to store and setup, and can just pick up and go when I want. I've got the whole setup on a winch system in the garage so it stores out of the way and I can install and remove from the truck by myself in about ten minutes with the push of a button and some truck bed clamps.

It's only been out on one trip so far (40F, high winds, downpours for half the trip) and it held up like a champ. I packed it up every morning to drive around town (5-10 mins effort) and then set it back up again at night (5-10 mins effort). When I get home from the weekend I air it out good to dry on a table in the garage for a day or two. I'd probably want the tent mounted to a trailer if most of my camping was staying in one spot for a while so you could use the truck during the day without packing up, but my use case is typically just weekend adventures or hoping site to site so it works well for me.

It's setup so the bed rails take all the weight, and the tent folds over the passenger side. I wanted it this way to keep the height down so I could load a dog into the tent easier and just reach up and get items in and out without being on the ladder (I'm 6'). I set the height of the rack to be just enough I can fit my yeti cooler in the bed, but the tent won't stick up over the cab impacting noise and aerodynamics - I didn't really see any MPG reduction on my first trip...maybe 1-2MPG but that's somewhat in the noise..could have just been the speeds I was going. The platform is very sturdy (6061-T6 Square Tube 2" x 0.125") and the mattress was nice and comfy. I keep a deep cycle ATV battery in the bed of the truck in an AMMO can with SAE connectors to power up things like fans, lights, cell phone charger. This can charge with solar or AC power while in use and for me lasts more than the weekend on a charge.

It's still a work in progress, but am very pleased so far.
I love the rack! I am looking into making something like that in the next year but i have a gen 1. I was wondering if anyone knows how strong the side walls are on the gen 1? Ideas are one thing but is it safe and is this idea even possible?
Here's my very vague explanation of what i have thought up in my head. Please bare with me!
I was thinking of incorporating the usrack no drilling set up https://www.usrack.com/responsive/ridgeline-rack.php#ridgeline-four . Instead of having the rack partially at the end, ill have it run the entire length of the bed. I would use the same material as phil.j but weld longer tubing at the rear to level it. I was thinking of leaving the plastic caps on, throwing the angle on top, grind out the angle so that i can hit the tiedown in the front and have another bracket/elongate the angle in the middle so that i can utilize the bolt that holds down the side bed panel. It will have 3 places that bolts the upper angle to the lower, as seen on on usrack, and maybe even drill in a revit nut at the end like the vantech ladder racks recommend for keeping it more secured.
I appreciate all comments or suggestions. Anything to put my mind at ease for safety concerns if i were to go along with it.
thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts