Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2017 RTL-E and just got rigged up with a Tepui Kukenam SKY. Any questions I'm happy to help where I can, I didn't find too much on RTT with the ridgeline gen 2 in my researching so I more or less designed what I wanted and learned some lessons. I'm coming from a camping background, have had a 16 foot fiberglass egg trailer, tents, etc.. and for my uses this setup seems to be the best so far. Very little maintenance, easy to store and setup, and can just pick up and go when I want. I've got the whole setup on a winch system in the garage so it stores out of the way and I can install and remove from the truck by myself in about ten minutes with the push of a button and some truck bed clamps.

It's only been out on one trip so far (40F, high winds, downpours for half the trip) and it held up like a champ. I packed it up every morning to drive around town (5-10 mins effort) and then set it back up again at night (5-10 mins effort). When I get home from the weekend I air it out good to dry on a table in the garage for a day or two. I'd probably want the tent mounted to a trailer if most of my camping was staying in one spot for a while so you could use the truck during the day without packing up, but my use case is typically just weekend adventures or hoping site to site so it works well for me.

It's setup so the bed rails take all the weight, and the tent folds over the passenger side. I wanted it this way to keep the height down so I could load a dog into the tent easier and just reach up and get items in and out without being on the ladder (I'm 6'). I set the height of the rack to be just enough I can fit my yeti cooler in the bed, but the tent won't stick up over the cab impacting noise and aerodynamics - I didn't really see any MPG reduction on my first trip...maybe 1-2MPG but that's somewhat in the noise..could have just been the speeds I was going. The platform is very sturdy (6061-T6 Square Tube 2" x 0.125") and the mattress was nice and comfy. I keep a deep cycle ATV battery in the bed of the truck in an AMMO can with SAE connectors to power up things like fans, lights, cell phone charger. This can charge with solar or AC power while in use and for me lasts more than the weekend on a charge.

It's still a work in progress, but am very pleased so far.
This is gorgeous! so you just welded this all yourself? Do you have the exact specks? I would love to make one....if I can find someone in my area to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also, any thoughts on having it on the roof rack? I hear the rack is only rated for 110lb?! is that just the rack or am I going to mess up my roof...I mean the tent is more than 150lb and then so am I ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, any thoughts on having it on the roof rack? I hear the rack is only rated for 110lb?! is that just the rack or am I going to mess up my roof...I mean the tent is more than 150lb and then so am I ...
I want to put a 145 lbs Hard Shell tent on the roof so I can put a motorcycle in the bed. This site is the only place I can find that says the OEM cross bars are rated to 165 lbs

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08L04-T6Z-100.html

If this is true it should be the dynamic load. The static load will be several times higher. I've seen almost every make of car and truck with a roof top tent on the roof but not a Ridgeline.
Anybody done it or at least put a 160 lbs of stuff in a cargo carrier on the roof?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Congratulations on your Ridgeline and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if my answers will be exactly what you need, since I have a Gen 1 Ridge. But I installed the VanTech rails on my Gen 1, and then put on Thule rack just above the bed. On the rack, I put a Smitttybilt rooftop tent. This combination works well for me for a spacious, comfortable, off-the-ground sleeping space, without having to pull a trailer. By the way, I can also carry one bike on the rack next to the tent. I'll attach a pic of my setup. You'll notice i parked with my rear wheels elevated. That was to counter the slope of the rails, an issue you don't have with the Gen2. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Kirk
What Thule rack did you use? I'm looking for one compatible with the vantech rails but that sit about 8inches above the sides of the bed

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

2018 ... Roofnest Eagle ... Yakima bars on factory roof rails.

Have you slept in that? IIRC, the factory rails are rated for just 100lbs or so. Can't imagine the Yakima would be much more, especially if they use the same mounting points.

The roof itself could obviously hold more (depending on distribution), since it is designed for rollover protection.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Pete_Tallahassee do you know by chance how much everything cost you? Also, which Yakima model cross bars did you get? I'm very interested in getting a roof top tent or bed rack system, but the people at racknroads just keep giving me the run-around on installation stuff stating they can't do it. Any thing would be great;y appreciated sir!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yakima 70" JetStream Black Aluminum Aero Crossbars. Cost $220. I also bought four towers. TimberLine Towers (Set of Four).

If you have the factory rails then you can buy and mount this stuff yourself. Don't listen to people who say it can't be done. Most people in business don't want the liability.
Many people mount the tent over the bed but then you can't put a motorcycle in it!
The tent. I paid near $3,000. Eagle Roof Top Tent - 85" x 57" - Sleeps 2+ | Roofnest

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Pete_Tallahassee You sir are a saint! I appreciate the information! I'm going to get the OEM rails for my 2019 Honda Ridgeline BE tomorrow and get them installed ASAP so I can finally begin this project! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
All those photos are spectacular- thanks for sharing. Need to get West more myself. We did the Oregon/Washington coast drive - just like your pics there - and loved it, but that was about 10 years ago already.

Tent camping is not our forte :), but I do like the design of that rooftop tent - especially the struts. Have you seen a bed tent that pops up similarly? Would love to have a truck-bed tent for our grandkids and/or overflow at the small family lake cabin, but that OEM tent sounds like too much of a hassle, and would prefer to be able to put one up/down pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
LOL, my crystal ball shows a dark night...............nature calls.................a loud scream.....................thump..................... more screaming, now in pain, with cussing and swearing................:unsure:

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
I keep two pillows, a down sleeping bag, a down comforter, light and small battery pack in the tent at all times. It all fits inside when I collapse the tent. I also use a pee jar if needed for the night. I have not climbed out of any tent just to pee for many years. Women can do this too.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
LOL, my crystal ball shows a dark night...............nature calls.................a loud scream.....................thump..................... more screaming, now in pain, with cussing and swearing................:unsure:

Bill
No doubt! November I was the last to arrive at the annual "cousins golf outing" and was awarded with the top bunk....and they were rewarded with me clamoring down at about 3am (I'm 62 Y.O. :)).

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
...I was the last to arrive at the annual "cousins golf outing" and was awarded with the top bunk...
Top bunks and rooftop tent should come standard with proper pee bottles or funnel & hose. While doing a thru-hike of the AT back in 1998, I found myself in a sparsely populated two-story trail shelter. One guy on the ground floor had projectile vomit so I gladly took the second floor. I didn't consider my nightly pee run when making that decision. So when I woke up in the middle of the night I told myself that I am not climbing down the ladder and navigate around the sick guy. Fortunately, there was a second-floor window. Unfortunately, the roof height did not allow standing and the window sill height did not allow kneeling. The solution was to retask my wide mouth water bottle for the night and dump it out the window. Of course, the bottle was my one and only water bottle and required some cleaning in the morning before heading down the trail.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts