Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,202 Posts
That would be friggin awesome if it was legit and reliable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If it was both, still will end up causing an issue and taking the dealership to fix it will only give you the 'not covered under warranty' shpeel,

·
Registered
926 Posts
If it was reliable it wouldn't need fixing. It just would be nice to use it to its potential. I got it thinking I could actually use and download apps
If it was both, still will end up causing an issue and taking the dealership to fix it will only give you the 'not covered under warranty' shpeel,

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,202 Posts
If it was reliable it wouldn't need fixing. It just would be nice to use it to its potential. I got it thinking I could actually use and download apps

An operational unit can be reliable in its current operation. When you task it with other duties, like additional apps, then you will face issues. Just like a reliable computer crashing or a reliable phone hanging and needing a reboot. Either way, It is just more to be distracted with. pretty much all of the apps you may want to download will need data connection and for them to work you need to supply just that, data. Android Auto can do just that with no additional cost.
Example, you want to listen to Pandora, stream it to the truck from your phone. Spotify, same thing. Iheartradio, same thing. So on and so forth. Google navigation, use Android Auto.

When and why would there be a need to use an app off the unit in the truck? And is requiring data connection (tethering on your phone or a separate hotspot) expense worth all that?

I am speaking from purely an enthusiast, which is what this approach to load apps sounds like, perspective. I run a Win-10 carpc in my Truck (as of 2011) and I have gone through the phases of installing apps, running Pandora directly on it, etc etc. Couple of years ago I found a add-on to stream music and I can enjoy, without wasting my 'unlimited data', music with less of a distraction. Now the PC basically runs my music, OBD diagnosis, and movies. I seldom use the GPS as my phone ends up sitting in a cradle to provide me directions.

·
Registered
433 Posts

On a related thought - There is a one-click solution for hiding everything when going into the dealer for any service. My guess is it deletes the hack and to restore you input your secret code on a website to restore everything.
But, if the hack messes up the head unit I imagine all bets are off.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,202 Posts
On a related thought - There is a one-click solution for hiding everything when going into the dealer for any service. My guess is it deletes the hack and to restore you input your secret code on a website to restore everything.
But, if the hack messes up the head unit I imagine all bets are off.
Very true as hearing about issues with map updates (Ridgeline, Pilot and the odyssey..... for now) it appears that the dealership winds up re-flashing to factory specs. Trouble is when they find out, then that 'could-be-warranty-work' gets pushed onto the customer and I can only image the four-figure bill you will be stuck with. It is a risk that someone should be willing to take, if rooting is in their horizon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I purchased the AutoHack (HondaHack) so I could install my own Music Player on my 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

By my Own I mean one that I wrote (I'm a retired computer programmer)

Just wanted to say EVERYTHING Worked great. The HondaHack program lets me install any programs I want and even let's me set the default Audio player to mine.

The only little problem I had was locating the USB Storage device. There is some posting that you need to have a USB with two partitions (I did not find this to be true)

What I found was that normally on any other Android device (anything over 4.4 - The Ridgeline is 4.2.2) I use

/storage

As a path to find all the different places available. On something as old as Android 4.2.2 you need to use

/mnt

I used an old version of X-plore (from their website) to see what was out there.
Reason I used an old version is because I believe the new version does not support anything under Android 4.4 (I might be wrong on this)

Any how FINALLY I have a Music Player in my car that plays music how I want it to.

:surprise: :nerd:

·
Registered
83 Posts
check out Root your Honda head unit and install apps freely - Honda Hack

$25 for the Pro Version (does so much more)

NOTE: If you write your own program. Normally I use /storage on Files.ListFiles as a path to get all devices. I needed to use /mnt to get all the usb devices

Enjoy

what is siri?

I'm an Android user / programmer

Just some additional information

I'm using a product call www.B4x.com (in my case B4A - Basic for Android, they also have B4I - Basic for IPhone) makes writing Apps for either platform as simple as basic programming

Have fun guys

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would love to try your music app!

That was the entire reason I did it, but there is a lack of good apps that all just do random play on a folder and display embedded album art. I thought it’s such a simple concept right?

I know my son and I had to dig to find the usb drive in the center counsel it was 006 I believe. I have to go to the dealer in a bit but will try to find it and post.

Computer science guy here myself and programmer, my son only 16 but we’ll on his way! ;)

Gonna check out those links you posted about rolling your own solution!

d

Ok here’s where I found it today before I went out.

/mnt/usb6

That was for the center counsel.

d

·
Registered
83 Posts
My music app requires a little work...

My folders on the USB are setup as follows
Music
<Artist Name>
<Album Name>
if more than one disc then <Disc 1>, <Disc 2>... etc then the tracks are under them

I happen to have just about every issue of "Now That's what I call music"
Various Artists
Now that's what I call Music
Volume-01
Disc 1
Disc 2
Disc-US

That being said I believe my Directory Processor will process just about anything you point it to
In the Directory Processor you need to Pick a Primary Category and as Many Secondary Categories that you want.

I Have a PlayFrom Tab where you can select what Primary and Secondary Categories you want to play from.

We have a lot of Christmas CDs so they are setup as Christmas and Holiday and not checked in the PlayFrom Tab so they do not play randomly during the year. But I have a Special Processing rule setup that says after November 30th start adding Christmas music to the queue based on close we are getting to Christmas (but you can make your own rule when this would happen). We use the special processing rules to player a certain play list every Sunday Morning and on our Birthdays, etc.

The BIGGEST feature I have that I do not know why isn't on every player is a Never Play button. Having brought all those Now That's What I Call Music CDs, There are some songs can come on we just don't like (too much foul language, real hard core rap or too country country. One Double Tap and GONE will never play randomly again unless I un-never play it.

Works on the car and basically all Android devices - Nicer on the larger devices but does work nicely on my Samsung S7

I've never given it to anyone (I sell Bowling Brackets / Sidepot software) but if you want to try: "http://www.BowlingBrackets.com/BBs/MusicDB.apk"

I'm not on the board the often so if you need help [email protected] is easiest way to contact me

Enjoy

PS: Exit requires Double Tab or Long Press to exit when playing - Never Play always requires a Double Tab

REMEMBER I am the only one to ever use this software

ONE More NOTE: There is NO Directory Processor on Phones if screen size is too small (usually needs a larger screen 7")

·
Registered
3 Posts
im in the process of trying to have this for the 2019 RL, I was also wondering if its possible to watch mlbtv on the screen as well? should I be partitioning the usb drive in two?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doesn't work on the 2019 RLs. I tried it multiple times and have emails back and forth with the developer. Honda has blocked something. We tried a few things and it just never worked and I stopped bothering.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts