Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doesn't this hack defeat the security for the vehicle so anyone with the knowledge can take over the vehicle? A security expert told that is what happens when it's hacked

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bummer doesn't work on 2019's

As for defeating security. I guess so. But how would they get control of the car? Unless they are coming in through Honda Link (which I have not setup).

Car has no internet connection unless you give it one?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
"Pics, or it didn't happen!"

·
Registered
75 Posts
I need this in a BIG way. I'm hoping he gets the 2019 BE worked out. Want to install the remote app for my music on the head unit. This would be a HUGE leap forward for me and the Ridgeline

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wireless charging + wireless carplay. Installed in my 17 RTL-E, got autokit through honda hack pro, and purchased the carlinkit and now I have wireless carplay. Add the scoche wireless car charger and now it's a serious upgrade!

Reactions: HyperPete

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wonder if a 2018 headunit for an RTL-E or BE will work in a 2019. NO support, as noted above for 2019 with Honda Hack.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,924 Posts
Question for the Android hacking experts (@BobVal?) ….

For vehicles on which these tools will work (apparently not 2019), would any of this chicanery let one add to the music formats that the RL will recognize and play back via the its USB flash drive playback system?

IOW, enable playback of any lossless file-formats such as wav, flac, WMA4 lossless, or (?) via USB using the already existing RL USB interfaces such as "Song-By-Voice" on the RTL-E / BE?

I'm not even remotely a computer / programming expert, a 'deep' explanation would likely be over my head, just curious if it would be 'possible' to add / enable the required (codec?) on a RL HU to play back any lossless file formats on a USB flash drive?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Question for the Android hacking experts (@BobVal?) ….

For vehicles on which these tools will work (apparently not 2019), would any of this chicanery let one add to the music formats that the RL will recognize and play back via the its USB flash drive playback system?

IOW, enable playback of any lossless file formats such as wav, flac, WMA4 lossless, or (?) via USB using the already existing RL USB interfaces such as "Song-By-Voice" on the RTL-E / BE?

I'm not even remotely a computer expert, a 'deep' explanation would likely be over my head, just curious if it would be 'possible' to add / enable the required (codec?) on a RL HU to play back any lossless file formats on a USB flash drive?
I'm not extremely familiar with audio on android either, but this is a great question IMO. I might actually use USB audio more if I did not have to convert all of my audio files in order to use them.

I purchased the lifetime subscription to Sirius back when they offered it for $500, so I use that primarily at this time, but it would be nice to have additional options.

EDIT: Thinking about this further, I'll bet it would be easier to enable these on an android phone and use the audio player in your phone to play through the USB connection. (I can select various Audio players via Android Auto on my Sena Headset for my Motorcycle helmet, so I presume I can do so in the Ridgeline too.)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,924 Posts
I'm not extremely familiar with audio on android either, but this is a great question IMO. I might actually use USB audio more if I did not have to convert all of my audio files in order to use them.

I purchased the lifetime subscription to Sirius back when they offered it for $500, so I use that primarily at this time, but it would be nice to have additional options.

EDIT: Thinking about this further, I'll bet it would be easier to enable these on an android phone and use the audio player in your phone to play through the USB connection. (I can select various Audio players via Android Auto on my Sena Headset for my Motorcycle helmet, so I presume I can do so in the Ridgeline too.)
I use and greatly enjoy the "Song By Voice" hands-and-eyes-free feature that's 'native' on my RTL-E for accessing my extensive personal library on USB flash drive. For all intents it works as well as the similar feature on my previous SYNC2 Ford but the Ford did support a few lossless formats (wav and WMA4 lossless codec).

I've already done an 'automated mass conversion' of my (~7,000+ files) library to mp3 for use in the RL, but would like the ability to go back to lossless formats. Realizing its moot for my 2019 at this time, but if that were possible for the 'currently eligible' vehicles I'd probably follow this topic closer in hope that 'someday ….' ;)

Aside - I used a 'hack' published on the XDA Developers forum mentioned previously in this thread to enable fully-functional OEM Navigation on my SYNC2 Ford which did not have NAV from the factory …. I'll never underestimate the cunning and skills of the folks that participate on that forum. In that case the popular freeware tool "FORScan" (for FoMoCo vehicles only) served the role that HondaHack does, in a much more limited way, for the Honda community.

Re: Alternatives - Thanks, but I'm not interested in 'smartphone-based workarounds' for music in the RL, nor 'streaming', nor Sirius alternatives - none offer the full-package of seamless vehicle voice-command integration, convenience, independence from phone service-plan / phone memory constraints, and access to my music library that music on a dedicated USB drive provides for me. I'll continue to enjoy mp3 on USB before resorting to any of those less-attractive (for me) alternatives.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wireless charging + wireless carplay. Installed in my 17 RTL-E, got autokit through honda hack pro, and purchased the carlinkit and now I have wireless carplay. Add the scoche wireless car charger and now it's a serious upgrade!
Really... I need this, but how

·
Registered
19 Posts
not sure if this violates anything but.... you must root your head unit and install autohack, then under installers there is an autokit.apk you install that enables you to use carlinkit.

Paid for Pro $25

Purchased the Adapter $85

Qi Pro $39

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
not sure if this violates anything but.... you must root your head unit and install autohack, then under installers there is an autokit.apk you install that enables you to use carlinkit.

Paid for Pro $25

Purchased the Adapter $85

Qi Pro $39
New head unit if you have a problem and brick it: $600 (used) or $1,400 (new)

That would be my concern.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hoping for some assistance...I purchased the wireless CarLinkit and followed the instructions. All is good except, there is no audio. I see the Apple Carplay on display on the screen and another audio source is playing NOT through the Apple Carplay. For example, I have a USB stick with songs and that device is what's playing even though I hit the music app on Apple Carplay.

·
Administrator
16,318 Posts
Hoping for some assistance...I purchased the wireless CarLinkit and followed the instructions. All is good except, there is no audio. I see the Apple Carplay on display on the screen and another audio source is playing NOT through the Apple Carplay. For example, I have a USB stick with songs and that device is what's playing even though I hit the music app on Apple Carplay.
I never even knew such a device existed until now. I suggest contacting the company that made it, although you may want to learn Chinese first.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Perhaps it defaults to the thumb drive. Does it work without the USB stick installed?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Perhaps it defaults to the thumb drive. Does it work without the USB stick installed?
I've removed the USB stick and it still does not play the audio. I connected with support from Amazon and they pretty much repeated the installation manual. The support person told me that the device is compatible with Android version 4.4.2 and above. I noticed my headunit's version is 4.2.2. Does anyone know how to update the headunit version?

I see that you got this kit working. I purchased the Carlinkit and installed it as instructed. Unfortunately, there's no audio. Were you able to get audio to play? Other than that, I'm able to see Apple Carplay wirelessly using my iPhone XR

UPDATE: I was able to get the CarLinkit working. It does require 2 different apps to be installed: Autokit and Audio App. The instructions that came with the device will not help and I figured it out after some trial and error with the HondaHack app. After installing the Audio App, it worked.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You can't. It'll be 4.2.2 forever.
Luckily, it works with our version of Android. The CarLinkit manufacturer probably puts the higher version on their "it works with" list for other aftermarket Android headunits.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts