Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
UPDATE: 11/18/2018

NOTE: (from 70mph) Stock G1 stopped at 195-ft and improved to 180-ft while the G2 stopped in 191-ft (new and end of C&D's long term test)

Using the simple equation using Velocity and time, the stopping distance from 60-0mph are as follows

Altitude: 121-Ft
Ambient Temp: 39-F
Road Temp: 46-F
Initial Rotor Temp: 38-F
Final Rotor Temp: 154-F

Run 1: 3.19s & 139.04-ft
Run 2: 3.13s & 137.72-ft
Run 3: 2.96s & 130.24-ft

The ABS engages right away (almost 1s after panic stop) on dry black-top. The first two times, I was very nervous and for reasons I cannot fathom, but the confidence was improved by the third run. What I believe is that the closed circuit/drag strip acceleration and stopping distances do not translate well to real world as those circuits/strips are clean and free of major debris. On normal highways and roads, such is not the case.

I would have to wait till Summer to get a good enough reading for stopping distances as the ground temps and tire temps are not high enough to get an accurate reading of stopping distances. Torque app was not accurate even by a long shot.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
UPDATE: 01/18/2019

The brakes are doing well, extremely well. Went through multiple car-washes and two snow falls, it is holding up well. Rust on the rotors is equivalent to what I experienced with my StopTech rotors. However, the pads do need a light warmth before it gets to working its best.

Wish I could share similar sentiments about the tires. The Dynapro RF10s are great for being quiet, in a straight line. However, during mid corner acceleration, there is a very harsh snap-oversteer that forces me to correct and sometimes overcorrect it. It does not matter if the ground is warm, wet, cold, smooth, flat, inclined, declined, dry, or have gravel/sand on it, the snap-oversteer happens. I have been working with Don & Izzy from DTC and those guys are truly great. They have chosen to go ahead and replace a tire of my choice. I have made a choice, looking at the only two options I have for the size, to go with the General Grabber AT2.

Failed to explain the choice of going with General Grabber AT2, earlier. In the size of 255/60-R18, the Nitto Terra Grappler weighs in at 41.17lbs with the load rating of 112S and the General Grabber AT2 weighs in at 36.7lbs with a load rating of 112H. My current Dynapro RF10 weighs 37.0lbs. As I have owned both the Grabber and Grappler in the past, the decision to go with the Grabber was purely on the weight of each tire.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #24
UPDATE: 1/31/2019

Brakes:
Last couple of days, here in NJ the temperature has been in the single digits and below zero; thus the brakes groan more than normal till they get some heat into them. At this low temperature, even this BBK needs time/space to slow down the vehicle. However, as soon as the brakes warm up, which is within 2 seconds from 40mph and 75% pedal force, there is a jump in positive brake friction and the truck slows down rather quick. I have not exposed myself to 'emergency braking' in this cold temperature, but I suspect that at that point the concern will not be the brakes, but rather the tires. Onto the tires now.

Few of the 'young' guys at the gas station, convenience store and car-wash gave compliments on the BBK. One thought I had a turbo and was immediately disappointed when I said 'no'.

TIRES:
1) With the cold temps and tires at 37psi, straight-line traction (from standstill and 85% throttle) is fine as the AWD sorts things out. The mid corner snap-over-steer still occurs, but under this cold temperature conditions, there is more than normal under-steer before it switches to over-steer as correction. I can feel the rear differential trying to sort it out by shifting power to the rear tires in the brief 'turning' experience, but with higher throttle, I believe the truck will be very sideways before any automatic correction is mediated by the AWD.
2) Another item to content with is frozen water. I call it frozen water because I do not want anyone to confuse themselves with 'black ice'. The 'frozen water' I am describing is the damp asphalt surface that has turned slick with ice where the contours of the asphalt is still visible. I consider black ice to be standing water that turned to ice, forming a smooth slippery surface like the surface of a mirror. Anyway, traction on this 'frozen water' on asphalt is pretty bad. At 30mph with a 30deg steering input from top center, the tires loose traction where the truck starts to under-steer and then immediately wants to correct itself by over-steering.
3) Maybe this is attributed to the tread design, but the tires love to follow road contours, ruts and undulations. This attributed is not desired if the driver wants to maintain control of the vehicle, pointing it in a safe direction.

As I type this, @Discount Tire, is shipping out the General Grabbers as a replacement. Great group of guys to work with and greatly recommend them.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
UPDATE 02/12/2019

TIRES: Many thanks to Don and Izzy over at @Discount Tire that I received my replaced for the Dynapro RF10s last week. I opted for the General Grabber AT2s purely on the weight as the other option, Nitto Terra Grapplers, were much more heavy. Had an opportunity to get them installed this past weekend and with the ice today and frigid surface temperatures, I can tell that the snap-oversteer is gone and the lateral holding on these tires are just what I have experienced in my past.
The Grabber AT2s track the road well and do not 'wander' like the Dynapro RF10s. With the same tire pressure, there is less noticeable 'tire-bounce' and 'road-roughness' with the Grabber AT2s. Mind you, both these tires have the same load rating of 112, but different speed rating. Though all All Terrain tires are loud, the back to back experience on these tires is surprising that the Grabber AT2s are quieter than the Dynapro RF10s. Given the tread blocks, by design, the Dynapro RF10s 'should' be quieter than the Grabber AT2s , as its center rib is very linear and the tread blocks are closely packed.

EDIT: The Dynapro RF10 is 8.00" across while the Grabber AT2 is 8.50" across, with the tires inflated at 37psi. This measurement is the edge-of-the-treadblock to the edge-of-the-treadblock across the surface of the tire.

Again, many thanks to Don and Izzy over at @Discount Tire. They are bunch of great individuals with exceptional customer service.

Vendor
UPDATE 02/12/2019

TIRES: Many thanks to Don and Izzy over at @Discount Tire that I received my replaced for the Dynapro RF10s last week. I opted for the General Grabber AT2s purely on the weight as the other option, Nitto Terra Grapplers, were much more heavy. Had an opportunity to get them installed this past weekend and with the ice today and frigid surface temperatures, I can tell that the snap-oversteer is gone and the lateral holding on these tires are just what I have experienced in my past.
The Grabber AT2s track the road well and do not 'wander' like the Dynapro RF10s. With the same tire pressure, there is less noticeable 'tire-bounce' and 'road-roughness' with the Grabber AT2s. Mind you, both these tires have the same load rating of 112, but different speed rating. Though all All Terrain tires are loud, the back to back experience on these tires is surprising that the Grabber AT2s are quieter than the Dynapro RF10s. Given the tread blocks, by design, the Dynapro RF10s 'should' be quieter than the Grabber AT2s , as its center rib is very linear and the tread blocks are closely packed.

Again, many thanks to Don and Izzy over at @Discount Tire. They are bunch of great individuals with exceptional customer service.

Thank you for the shout out smufguy. We are happy to help. At Discount Tire we take our customer service very seriously as we follow in our founder, Mr. Halle's footsteps. He has always been a firm believer in treating all our customers as we would treat our family, which is what we do.

I appreciate you taking the time to give some feedback of the tires side by side with them both fresh in your mind.

Thank you for your business.

Premium Member
Interesting reading!

Smufguy your attention to detail is astounding. I don't think I'll ever go this far with my truck but it's good to know that it can be done.

I'll be interested in how the new tires work on for you when it gets warmer.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Interesting reading!

Smufguy your attention to detail is astounding. I don't think I'll ever go this far with my truck but it's good to know that it can be done.

I'll be interested in how the new tires work on for you when it gets warmer.
Thank you. I try to concentrate on the practicality of my investments. I am curious myself, to see how the new tire translates to stopping distance. I have to say that I am pretty happy with these tires so far. Shocks and springs are the next step as they have around 225K miles on them. Curious to see how the combo would result in handling and stopping. This time around, I would be doing a 70mph to 0mph, to see how much of an improvement I get (comparing to C&D).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #29
UPDATE: 05/13/2019

Everything is going well so far and nothing new to report. Brakes are strong and the tires are doing well. Finally getting out of the winter and rainy weather and excited for summer weather to see any of the numbers change.

Below are two pictures of the tire (General Grabber AT2 255/60/R-18) to wheel well clearance. The tires were at full lock on the passenger side. I do not and did not hear any rubs, though there is a very slight rubbing that is inaudible.

LEFT Image: Driver side front barely has any gap on full lock with the tire shoulder and the fender-well liner. Left of the image is towards the front of the vehicle.

RIGHT Image: Passenger side front and the left of the image is the mudflap (seen on bottom left) There is a slight rub (as evident of the darker marks), but the liner is not scuffed or eaten up. Same goes for the Top edge of the Passenger side mudflap.

Attachments

Super Moderator
Any chance for updates yet @smufguy

Also, did you ever try to get any information from EBC? Just Curious

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #31
None to report yet. It has been a rather busy month with work. Just got back from a conference in CA and had some maintenance work done in the truck. Have to address rear diff and transfer fluids today. Then I can get some numbers. 馃榿

EBC? What information are you referring to?

Super Moderator
None to report yet. It has been a rather busy month with work. Just got back from a conference in CA and had some maintenance work done in the truck. Have to address rear diff and transfer fluids today. Then I can get some numbers. 馃榿

EBC? What information are you referring to?
Did you see if they had anything you could have used and did you ever source them for Stock or other upgrades. Otherwise @eurban might be the main MDX upgrade over stock active user.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #33
Did you see if they had anything you could have used and did you ever source them for Stock or other upgrades. Otherwise @eurban might be the main MDX upgrade over stock active user.
I used the EBC catalog back in 2017 to see what was offered. However, I used/use Centric parts catalog to do a lot of the initial research. Problem with EBC's catalog is that they never updated past 2016, at least in the downloadable version. Under the EBC Brakes direct website (where you can search for rotors) Ridgeline is not listed (weird).

I believe he is indeed the active user with those parts. I am now trying to find out the actual fitment of a G1 stuff onto a G2. I will get you guys an update when I get around to it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #34
The brakes and tire combination is going strong. Still have not had the opportunity to get some stopping distance numbers with the Grabber AT2s, but I will surely get them. I inspected the calipers and rotors few weeks back and they are fine, just show the typical wear. Pads still have plenty of meat left in them. I washed the truck at home this past weekend and figured I will post some pictures. (click to enlarge).

a1.jpg a2.jpg a3.jpg a4.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
UPDATE: 09/18/2019

I have put on a little over 10,000 miles so far on the setup.
I have, for about two weeks now, started to feel the sponginess in the brake feel and discovered that my brake fluid is really dark. This is the Honda fluid in the system.

Stopping time and scrubbing speed is not an issue, but the initial bite is noticeably strong when the brake dust is completely off the rotors and pads. I felt the same pattern with my previous setup with PowerStop Z36 pads and Hawk rotors. Not sure if it is the pad compound formulation or if it is just the dust particles and no resin that is causing this weird feeling. In another year or so, when it is warranted, I will look at some offerings from Hawk, StopTech and EBC. Panic stops still hurt my head and breaking the tires loose on such stops is very easy and ABS has no issue engaging right away. Given that the ATM tires are not known for their dry traction, I am sure the behavior is expected.
Soon, I will be changing out the brake fluid with the StopTech 600F, in the hopes that it may manage the heat better. The fluid on the truck is only 10 months old, and concerns me that it is dark.

Another major item has been ordered and should be on the way in few weeks. It is shiny, yellow and purple. :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #36
UPDATE: 09/27/2019

I Finally had the opportunity to test out the brakes in the fall and with the General Grabbers. The road I used was the same as in my previous test runs.

Ambient Temp:64F
Road Temp: 70.2F
Initial Rotor Temp: 69.8F
Initial Caliper Temp: 70.0F

Run 1: 3.36s & 153.12-ft
Run 2: 2.77s & 126.21-ft
Run 3: 2.63s & 119.85-ft
Run 4: 2.64s & 120.31-ft

Final Front Rotor Temp: 153F
Final Front Caliper Temp: 86F

The ABS did not intervene as much as it did in my previous runs with the Hankook Dynapro RF10s. The mechanical grip of the tires are definitely a lot higher than the Dynapros I had and thus the tire 'slid' was non-existent. Thanks @Discount Tire for all your help and in the near future, I will be reaching out again for more stuff :)
The one thing to note is the rotor temp. It is almost identical to my previous run and I could touch the Caliper without getting burnt.
I remember when I was bedding in my Z36 pads on the Hawk rotors (performance OEM setup), I could feel the radiant heat from the wheels and I dare not touch even the wheels (steel) for the risk of burning.
Honestly, after the 3rd run, my head started to hurt from the stopping; the deceleration under full stop is totally brutal. The amount of stopping you get from this is just insane. :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts