Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this a few days ago that when in park I was idling rough. Long story short I sat idling in a parking lot for 15 min yesterday and noticed a little roughness and the vt-4 and check engine lights came on. Went to the local autozone to pull codes and they came up with the following:

P0172 - Potential fuel system issue, ignition system issue, mass air flow sensor faulty or O2 sensor/AF ratio sensor fault

P0420 - A/F ratio concern, air leak near 02 sensor bank 1, ignition system issue, or faulty catalytic convertor.

Anyways, after I left there the lights were out (I think he reset the codes) and haven't come on. The idling wasn't as bad today driving around either and no lights have come on.

In reading here, it seems when both lights come on that it's an EGR alot of times. Anyone have any ideas of the route I should take? Maybe clean my mass air flow sensor? The truck has 135,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Had all three things happen to me - rough idling, VTM-4/Engine light on - It was a EGR valve problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I think the second code P0420 is a secondary code, caused by the condition that set the P0172 code.

My searches on P0172 indicate it can be anything which affects fuel/air ratio.

- Vacuum leak (includes at the EGR valve, although a stuck EGR will normally suck all the oil out of the pan, causing you to blow blue smoke until the motor seizes from oil starvation)
- MAP sensor bad
- Worn spark plug(s)
- Leaky valve(s)
- Crank position sensor bad

At 135k, when was the last time your plugs were changed and had the valves adjusted? And check your oil level, too.

Chip H.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the second code P0420 is a secondary code, caused by the condition that set the P0172 code.

My searches on P0172 indicate it can be anything which affects fuel/air ratio.

- Vacuum leak (includes at the EGR valve, although a stuck EGR will normally suck all the oil out of the pan, causing you to blow blue smoke until the motor seizes from oil starvation)
- MAP sensor bad
- Worn spark plug(s)
- Leaky valve(s)
- Crank position sensor bad

At 135k, when was the last time your plugs were changed and had the valves adjusted? And check your oil level, too.

Chip H.
I did the plugs and timing belt/water pump at 105000-110000 miles as per the owners manual. I do not recall having the valves adjusted. I am leaning towards swapping the egr valve and see what that does. The odd thing is since this all went down I can just tell a little bit of rough idle when in park, but have thrown no more lights since stopping at the parts store and the cleared it (my assumption).

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Were the new plugs the OEM-spec NGKs, or were Bosch put in? The Ridgeline V6 doesn't always like the Bosch..

Chip H.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were OEM to my knowledge, I had the dealer do it.

I spoke to one of the master techs and he said to clean the intake manifold area as well, my question is how dirty is considered dirty? I opened it up and it's golden brown in there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I cleaned the intake as best I could, there was a fair amount of gunk in there that I wiped out. Also put a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner in and am going to watch that to see how it goes before jumping on an EGR valve.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This happened to me today on the road, looked down both lights were on, and I did snese the truck running a little "rough" , going to get it serviced next Monday and hope that will clear it up...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This happened to me today on the road, looked down both lights were on, and I did snese the truck running a little "rough" , going to get it serviced next Monday and hope that will clear it up...
Before you take it in, pull your egr valve and clean it with some brake cleaner. I did and after a bit of a trip I'm running better. Gonna watch it over the next couple days to be sure

·
Registered
47 Posts
Before you take it in, pull your egr valve and clean it with some brake cleaner. I did and after a bit of a trip I'm running better. Gonna watch it over the next couple days to be sure
and wouldn't you know it, I get in te truck to go to lunch and the engine light is not on now..:act035:
I got some gas before heading home yeasterday from Rockport, maybe I could have gotten some bad fuel...
Still getting oil changed and standard B svc done on Mon, so I will let them check the codes...

·
Registered
3 Posts
2006 RTL, 160,000 miles. Started it the other day and had check engine and vtm4 lights came on and idle was chugging. Had codes read, cylon 1&3 misfire, and multiple misfires. Replaced all 6 coils and plugs. Still had rough idle abi no chugging and no codes. I've noticed if I turn ignition to on and wait a few seconds it starts and idles better, and under load performance is also good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts