Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the process of starting a speaker upgrade on my 2018 Ridgeline RTL-E. I’ve started down the path that @securityguy outlined. This would include the following speakers.

Center: Hertz DCX 87.3

Tweeters: Hertz DT 24.3

Front Doors: Hertz X 165 or Hertz DCX 165.3

I contacted Crutchfield to see what their recommendation would be regarding the Front Door speakers. I was trying to decide between the Hertz X 165 or Hertz DCX 165.3

I was surprised when the Crutchfield Rep was trying to steer me to Hertz DSK 170.3 Component System for the front doors and tweeters. This includes the same tweeters Hertz DT 24.3 and 6 ¾ Woofers. He was concerned that adding coax speakers to the doors, would introduce to much high frequency. I’m not sure if he was aware the Honda has built in crossovers in their amplifiers.

So now to the question for folks with first-hand experience.

Does adding tweeters (coax) speakers in the doors introduce two much high frequency or does the amplifier suppress these?

Is the midrange output improved with coax speakers or would I be better off with the slightly larger woofer 6 ¾ versus 6 ½ coax?

If I do use coax speakers. Any input on the Hertz X 165 vs Hertz DCX 165.3?

Any thoughts on replacing the rear door speakers?

Thanks for your input, I’m just trying to get the best bang for my buck and to only have to do the upgrade once.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In doing a little further research. It appears that this component system he recommended is designed for a single audio input and two outputs from the crossover. I don't believe this would work unless I wanted to add two additional tweeters in the doors. LOL

I still would be very interested on any input regarding the coax speaker versus woofer in the front doors while utilizing tweeters in the factory locations.

Also, any info on my two choices for the front door's speakers and possible addition of rear door speakers.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
IMO, I agree with the Crutchfield rep. If the amp doesn't cross over like you expect it to and you have highs coming from the doors, it will lower the soundstage. This is typically not what you want. Most component sets have a crossover that takes one input and has 2 outputs, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer.

I know quite a few on here (including myself) went with the Hertz K 165 component set. The crossovers that come with these are only for the tweeter and are small enough to tuck into the a-pillar behind the tweeters. It was a straight swap of the door speakers for the woofers in the kit. In the rear doors, I did do the X 165 coax since there is no tweeter up high back there. All in all, a few years of having this setup and I am still happy with the sound.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let us know what route you take
Still on the fence.
I've reviewed all the feedback in previous posts and was hoping to get some first-hand current feedback. (thanks @gti16vman for your input). I'm now doing research on non-Ridgeline forums looking for input. I'll keep you updated once I've made my decision.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@ThinkRidgeline F.Y.I.

These are the three options I’m considering:

Hertz DSK 165.3 Component System (includes the following) $230
DV 165.3 Woofer
DT 24.3 Tweeter

Hertz Separates $200
X 165 Coaxial
DT 24.3 Tweeter

Hertz K 165.3 Component System (Includes the following) $130
V 165 Woofer
T 24 Tweeter

In all of the options above, I already have the Hertz DCX 87.3 Center Speaker and I’d also be
considering replacing the back doors with X 165 Coaxial.

I have heard that they all sound good, but I’ve also heard complaints of woofers lacking bass
and the tweeters having too much high frequencies. I’d hate to do the upgrade and have either
of these be true.

· Registered
2023 White Pearl Black Edition
402 Posts
I want to change my factory tweeters, but reading all these threads I get so confused. I am not a sound/electrical guy, so I just want to make sure I don’t make any mistakes. I’ve got the Crutchfield center speaker installed, I want to do the Tweeters next.

· Registered
38 Posts
@ThinkRidgeline F.Y.I.

These are the three options I’m considering:

Hertz DSK 165.3 Component System (includes the following) $230
DV 165.3 Woofer
DT 24.3 Tweeter

Hertz Separates $200
X 165 Coaxial
DT 24.3 Tweeter

Hertz K 165.3 Component System (Includes the following) $130
V 165 Woofer
T 24 Tweeter

In all of the options above, I already have the Hertz DCX 87.3 Center Speaker and I’d also be
considering replacing the back doors with X 165 Coaxial.

I have heard that they all sound good, but I’ve also heard complaints of woofers lacking bass
and the tweeters having too much high frequencies. I’d hate to do the upgrade and have either
of these be true.
thanks for the update. any consideration of adding sound deadening in the door?

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to change my factory tweeters, but reading all these threads I get so confused. I am not a sound/electrical guy, so I just want to make sure I don’t make any mistakes. I’ve got the Crutchfield center speaker installed, I want to do the Tweeters next.
I don't think you'll have any issues with tweeters. If you were able to do the center speaker, the tweeters won't be any more difficult. I've not don't the tweeters yet, but I've removed the A Piler, etc. to install a dashcam and it was pretty straight forward.

· Registered
710 Posts
I had the deci components in my gen 1 Ridgeline and they worked well in that truck. In my 2022, I would probably stay away from that setup because of the overboosted high frequencies in the factory dsp. The dt24 is a pretty hot tweeter so it might be too much treble. However the detail was pretty good with those speakers if I remember. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I can say the separate crossovers does make wiring easy, and space saving.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the deci components in my gen 1 Ridgeline and they worked well in that truck. In my 2022, I would probably stay away from that setup because of the overboosted high frequencies in the factory dsp. The dt24 is a pretty hot tweeter so it might be too much treble. However the detail was pretty good with those speakers if I remember. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I can say the separate crossovers does make wiring easy, and space saving.
@Apex, thank you for your response. Would you have any other suggestions for a component system or a set of sperate tweeters and door speakers? Thanks!

· Registered
80 Posts
I will be following this thread closely. I would also like to upgrade the speakers come spring/summer. I don't want to get much deeper into the sound system then that. I do have some Dynamat equivalent that I could add to the doors as well. :)

· Registered
710 Posts
@Apex, thank you for your response. Would you have any other suggestions for a component system or a set of sperate tweeters and door speakers? Thanks!
I am looking myself to replace the components in the front or maybe just the tweeters. A couple of differences though, one being our personal preferences. The second being I have the base system which shares the head unit and I believe the subwoofer. However, the premium system has the center channel, different amp and other speakers. I drove and tested both RTL and RTLE audio systems back to back many times. I do remember the premium system being better balanced and having more fullness than the base system. However the base system has just as much detail and imaging. The base system is just way out of frequency balance. The systems may need different things to be optimized, however I suspect that what works well for the base system also works well for the premium system.

Regarding recommendations I would be interested in your previous speaker upgrade experience. What did you replace the OEM center channel with and what difference did you notice after the swap?

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Apex, thank you for your follow up. I have procured the Hertz DCX 87.3, but I was waiting to do the tweeters and front doors at the same time. I'm just looking to improve the clarity of the upper frequencies and help with the bit of muddiness from the door speakers. The current system sounds pretty good with acoustical music, but gets a little muddy when it's a tune with lots of instruments or heavy drums, etc. Unfortunately, with the RTL-E or Black Edition, speakers are the only reasonable cost upgrade, everything else gets pretty expensive.

· Registered
710 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for a bit more definition. If your current treble and bass settings are around 0, the Hertz deci might be a good fit. Here are some others I would consider.

I am considering the C2 version for my truck. You may like the metallic tweeter of the C1, plus they are cheaper.

JL Audio C1-650

I liked the sound of these Morels using the Critchfield audio app.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like you are looking for a bit more definition. If your current treble and bass settings are around 0, the Hertz deci might be a good fit. Here are some others I would consider.

I am considering the C2 version for my truck. You may like the metallic tweeter of the C1, plus they are cheaper.

JL Audio C1-650

I liked the sound of these Morels using the Critchfield audio app.

@Apex Thanks for your input.

A couple of my thoughts......

JL Audio C1-650
Pros: Inline tweeter crossover (easier install)
Cons: Metal Tweeter like the Hertz DECI Series

JL Audio C2-650
Pros: Soft Dome Tweeter
Cons: Crossover has only one input and requires additional wiring to both the tweeter and woofer.

Morel Maximo 6
Pros: Soft Dome Tweeter
Cons: Crossover has only one input and requires additional wiring to both the tweeter and woofer.
Speaker Sensitivity is 90.5 versus 93 for the C1-650 and Hertz Speakers.

So many options and I'm sure you're like me and want this to be a once and done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts