Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,973 Posts
I would never buy an RTL-E again way to much problems with all the added equipment. The RTL or RS is a much better truck and will give most people trouble free operation for the life of the truck. I have an 2017 RTL-E and it spends more time in the shop than it does at home.
My 2005 RTL spent 3 hours in the shop for a cracked windshield. My 2017 RTL-E, and 2022 BE have both spent the same amount of time in shop, zero hours.

Can you elaborate on your issues and time spent in the shop?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There’s a way to use either the fob or the metal key and you can automatically open all windows (except rear) and moonroof at the same time. Can also close them all at same time but only with the metal key. It’s a nice feature if you want to vent your truck when hot out.
Well, be careful with that !!!!!! My former RTL-T with about 37,000 miles on it just got towed to the salvage yard today! That little "feature" allowed a weekend-long rainstorm to fill my truck to the brim with rain and the result was A TOTAL LOSS! If that button happens to be pushed in your pocket or m'ladies purse and held for any period of time the windows go down and the moonroof opens up and you will never know it till you return to your truck. Some feature!!:mad: The truck was totaled like the flood car it became. Thanks to an understanding insurance company I'll break even possibly. Why in the world Honda would allow ALL YOUR WINDOWS AND MOON ROOF TO OPEN AND STAY THAT WAY IS BEYOND ME! A call to Honda Customer Service Corporate was COMPLETELY USELESS! The call center chippie would only say it was an "internal corporate matter" and would not provide me with ANY name or address to write my concerns to. If Honda can make things open, they can make them close. This situation even continues on the '22 models too. The "feature" cannot be turned off so the only way to prevent this from occurring is to COVER THAT DAMN BUTTON! You will find numerous complaints on the forum of this and similar things happening. So, BUYER BEWARE.!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,825 Posts
This might work better so things in your pocket don't bump the buttons. I'm going to try one.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,636 Posts
This might work better so things in your pocket don't bump the buttons. I'm going to try one.
Care share what "this" is referring to?

·
Super Moderator
2,825 Posts
Whoops forgot to Cntrl V it on there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll check one out too! Thanks for the link. If I can find another Ridgeline like I want and get it this might be the solution. Apparently Honda couldn't care less or they would fix this problem! If the engine will shut off after 10 minutes why can't they close all the windows/moonroof? I would think insurance companies would push for something because they're the ones getting screwed too! .....And, if you buy one used you get a "guide" which says nothing about this "feature" of all the windows and moonroof opening. The "guide" is NOT the "manual". You gotta go online and download that! Haven't checked to see if this is listed in the manual.

·
Administrator
23,782 Posts
Apparently Honda couldn't care less or they would fix this problem! If the engine will shut off after 10 minutes why can't they close all the windows/moonroof?
It is expensive to design a system to automatically close the windows and comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Most automakers don't do it because of the cost and liability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is expensive to design a system to automatically close the windows and comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Most automakers don't do it because of the cost and liability.
My former F150 windows would automatically go back down if they encountered an obstruction when being raised. Why can't Honda incorporate that into the autoclose and comply with the Fed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
One reason is cost. The Ridgeline's front windows and moonroof have auto-reverse, but not the rear windows.
Well, at the risk of beating a dead horse, then why have them go down at all. It seems to me that the occasional convenience of venting hot air (remotely) is outweighed by the possible catastrophe I and others have experienced. Especially, why have the moonroof open at all when the venting could be accomplished by lowering the front windows (even partially). Even worse was the completely indifferent response I got when I tried voicing my concerns to Honda Corporate! I can't believe I'm actually searching for another one. But, believe you me, I'll be covering that damned button with something that prevents that from happening again.
Not being snotty, but do you work for Honda? If so, any suggestions on how I might get through to them?

·
Administrator
23,782 Posts
Well, at the risk of beating a dead horse, then why have them go down at all. It seems to me that the occasional convenience of venting hot air (remotely) is outweighed by the possible catastrophe I and others have experienced. Especially, why have the moonroof open at all when the venting could be accomplished by lowering the front windows (even partially).
Heat rises so more of it can escape through an opening in the roof than openings on the sides - that's why the moonroof also opens for venting.

Even worse was the completely indifferent response I got when I tried voicing my concerns to Honda Corporate! I can't believe I'm actually searching for another one. But, believe you me, I'll be covering that damned button with something that prevents that from happening again.
Not being snotty, but do you work for Honda? If so, any suggestions on how I might get through to them?
No, I do not work for Honda. I agree that they need to include a way to disable the feature, but they don't. The remote window open feature has been standard on most Hondas for at least the last 15 years and many other automakers include the feature as well.

You can email, chat, tweet, call, or mail Honda.

If you feel that this presents a safety risk, you can file a complain with NHTSA. If they receive a sufficient number of valid complaints, they will open an investigation which may or may not lead to a recall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heat rises so more of it can escape through an opening in the roof than openings on the sides - that's why the moonroof also opens for venting.

No, I do not work for Honda. I agree that they need to include a way to disable the feature, but they don't. The remote window open feature has been standard on most Hondas for at least the last 15 years and many other automakers include the feature as well.

If you feel that this presents a safety risk, you can file a complain with NHTSA. If they receive a sufficient number of valid complaints, they will open an investigation which may or may not lead to a recall.

I have had the chance now to research this problem way back on this forum and can see this has been going on for a long time. ZROGER73 seems to be highly knowledgeable on all things Honda so thanks for all your excellent advice. (I actually did know that heat rises). Regardless, I've lost a wonderful vehicle that the wife and I really liked and calling Honda corporate was the worst customer service I've had in a long time. From reading the threads I'm not sure if they fixed this for the 22 or 23 model. Anyway, thanks to all who respond with a lot of good advice. Hope I can find another Ridgeline. Ta Ta

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well, be careful with that !!!!!! My former RTL-T with about 37,000 miles on it just got towed to the salvage yard today! That little "feature" allowed a weekend-long rainstorm to fill my truck to the brim with rain and the result was A TOTAL LOSS! If that button happens to be pushed in your pocket or m'ladies purse and held for any period of time the windows go down and the moonroof opens up and you will never know it till you return to your truck. Some feature!!:mad: The truck was totaled like the flood car it became. Thanks to an understanding insurance company I'll break even possibly. Why in the world Honda would allow ALL YOUR WINDOWS AND MOON ROOF TO OPEN AND STAY THAT WAY IS BEYOND ME! A call to Honda Customer Service Corporate was COMPLETELY USELESS! The call center chippie would only say it was an "internal corporate matter" and would not provide me with ANY name or address to write my concerns to. If Honda can make things open, they can make them close. This situation even continues on the '22 models too. The "feature" cannot be turned off so the only way to prevent this from occurring is to COVER THAT DAMN BUTTON! You will find numerous complaints on the forum of this and similar things happening. So, BUYER BEWARE.!!!
1st that really, really sucks. 2nd, knowing this could be a possibility, I would still rather have this feature than not. If the only option were take it or leave it as is, I would take it.

still sucks though, sometimes bad things just happen.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts