Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
210 Posts
Well, be careful with that !!!!!! My former RTL-T with about 37,000 miles on it just got towed to the salvage yard today! That little "feature" allowed a weekend-long rainstorm to fill my truck to the brim with rain and the result was A TOTAL LOSS! If that button happens to be pushed in your pocket or m'ladies purse and held for any period of time the windows go down and the moonroof opens up and you will never know it till you return to your truck. Some feature!!:mad: The truck was totaled like the flood car it became. Thanks to an understanding insurance company I'll break even possibly. Why in the world Honda would allow ALL YOUR WINDOWS AND MOON ROOF TO OPEN AND STAY THAT WAY IS BEYOND ME! A call to Honda Customer Service Corporate was COMPLETELY USELESS! The call center chippie would only say it was an "internal corporate matter" and would not provide me with ANY name or address to write my concerns to. If Honda can make things open, they can make them close. This situation even continues on the '22 models too. The "feature" cannot be turned off so the only way to prevent this from occurring is to COVER THAT DAMN BUTTON! You will find numerous complaints on the forum of this and similar things happening. So, BUYER BEWARE.!!!
Yeah mine has done it a few times against my wishes and unbeknown to Me. I would like to see a fix from Honda

·
Administrator
23,780 Posts
From reading the threads I'm not sure if they fixed this for the 22 or 23 model.
Most, if not all Honda models including the 2023 Ridgeline still have the remote window open feature. Ford has a "global window open" feature as well, but unlike Honda, it can be disabled (by a dealer - it's not something an owner can do on their own).

It has been suspected, but never proven that there was any cause of the windows opening unexpectedly other than pressing then holding the unlock button on the remote.

Any make and model with a remote window open feature is subject to this concern and if you do a Google search for windows rolling themselves down unexpectedly you'll find that it's not a complain that is unique to Honda.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My former F150 windows would automatically go back down if they encountered an obstruction when being raised. Why can't Honda incorporate that into the autoclose and comply with the Fed?
Its already there, you can hold your hand on a rising window edge and it'll reverse....it doesn't stop the liability issues if the worst should happen to say, a child because it didn't work and no adult was nearby...

·
Administrator
23,780 Posts
Its already there, you can hold your hand on a rising window edge and it'll reverse....it doesn't stop the liability issues if the worst should happen to say, a child because it didn't work and no adult was nearby...
I'm not sure about the F-150, but only the Ridgeline's front windows and moonroof automatically reverse if an obstacle is detected while automatically closing. The rear side windows and sliding rear window do not have auto close or auto reverse.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
53 Posts
I would never buy an RTL-E again way to much problems with all the added equipment. The RTL or RS is a much better truck and will give most people trouble free operation for the life of the truck. I have an 2017 RTL-E and it spends more time in the shop than it does at home.

My Grandpa had similar thoughts about power windows and other added equipment back in the early 60s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for your problems. No car model performs perfectly for every buyer.

That said, my '21 RTL-e has been flawless. I like some of the nannies, but they all can be turned off if desired.
I concur. My RTL-E is still flawless after 35,000 miles. Needed the rotors resurfaced at 25,000 miles due to brake judder but that’s my only blip with this truck so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most of the Ridgeline's problems are with equipment that is common to all trims such as:

• Transmission and torque converter
  • Fuel injectors
  • Water leaks
  • Rear view camera wiring harness
  • Start/stop button
  • Fuel pump chirp
  • Hood flutter/vibration
  • Unexpected alarms
  • Rear wiring harness recall
  • Fuel pump recall
  • Timing belt recall

Very few problems are unique to equipment that is exclusive to the higher trims.
Hmm - I have the 21 RTLE, none of those issues have come up. The infotainment system is a piece of [email protected]#$, but that is all I would complain about

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Well, be careful with that !!!!!! My former RTL-T with about 37,000 miles on it just got towed to the salvage yard today! That little "feature" allowed a weekend-long rainstorm to fill my truck to the brim with rain and the result was A TOTAL LOSS! If that button happens to be pushed in your pocket or m'ladies purse and held for any period of time the windows go down and the moonroof opens up and you will never know it till you return to your truck. Some feature!!:mad: The truck was totaled like the flood car it became. Thanks to an understanding insurance company I'll break even possibly. Why in the world Honda would allow ALL YOUR WINDOWS AND MOON ROOF TO OPEN AND STAY THAT WAY IS BEYOND ME! A call to Honda Customer Service Corporate was COMPLETELY USELESS! The call center chippie would only say it was an "internal corporate matter" and would not provide me with ANY name or address to write my concerns to. If Honda can make things open, they can make them close. This situation even continues on the '22 models too. The "feature" cannot be turned off so the only way to prevent this from occurring is to COVER THAT DAMN BUTTON! You will find numerous complaints on the forum of this and similar things happening. So, BUYER BEWARE.!!!
Holy s**t !!!

Having inadvertently done this a couple times - one time it rained and got the front seats and console pretty wet - I've had nightmares about this happening.

I hate this "feature" too. Do some of you folks use it purposely (vs. accidental use, like mine). Personally, if it's scorching hot and I want to cool it I use remote start and let the A/C do the work, but maybe others find it useful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would never buy an RTL-E again way to much problems with all the added equipment. The RTL or RS is a much better truck and will give most people trouble free operation for the life of the truck. I have an 2017 RTL-E and it spends more time in the shop than it does at home.
I have a 2017 RTL-E with almost 70K miles. I've had the transmission oil replaced (one free, once by me). That's is the total of my service issue. One recall on the hood latch (and the tonneau cover, which I didn't have). Very happy with the headlamps, safety systems and interior. No leaks. Thanks for taking the hit for the rest of us :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most, if not all Honda models including the 2023 Ridgeline still have the remote window open feature. Ford has a "global window open" feature as well, but unlike Honda, it can be disabled (by a dealer - it's not something an owner can do on their own).

It has been suspected, but never proven that there was any cause of the windows opening unexpectedly other than pressing then holding the unlock button on the remote.

Any make and model with a remote window open feature is subject to this concern and if you do a Google search for windows rolling themselves down unexpectedly you'll find that it's not a complain that is unique to Honda.
what a terrible feature, I just tried it for first time.. has to be someway to disable this on the RL? From what Ive read the @sshats at honda say it cant be disabled, but anyone know a workaround or hack?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been driving Ridgelines since 2006. I have had different models and never had any trouble. I had a 2017 RTL, 2018 RTL-T, and now a 2020 RTL-E and like I said never had any problems

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,973 Posts
My Black edition has been trouble free.
At least you're not racist! My WBE puts me in a very un-protected class of ownership!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Hood flutter drove me crazy! Have my 2022 RTL-E and all is well!!!
Never even noticed it on my 2017, unless I was watching the hood instead of the road.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I have had the chance now to research this problem way back on this forum and can see this has been going on for a long time. ZROGER73 seems to be highly knowledgeable on all things Honda so thanks for all your excellent advice. (I actually did know that heat rises). Regardless, I've lost a wonderful vehicle that the wife and I really liked and calling Honda corporate was the worst customer service I've had in a long time. From reading the threads I'm not sure if they fixed this for the 22 or 23 model. Anyway, thanks to all who respond with a lot of good advice. Hope I can find another Ridgeline. Ta Ta
That truly sucks. Sorry it happened to you. To put it into perspective, I've owned a RL since 2005, and never had that happen. The RL remote seems to be one of the least "accidental button pushes" in the pocket I know of. Have a neighbor who has a RAM and he does it almost daily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most of the Ridgeline's problems are with equipment that is common to all trims such as:

• Transmission and torque converter
  • Fuel injectors
  • Water leaks
  • Rear view camera wiring harness
  • Start/stop button
  • Fuel pump chirp
  • Hood flutter/vibration
  • Unexpected alarms
  • Rear wiring harness recall
  • Fuel pump recall
  • Timing belt recall

Very few problems are unique to equipment that is exclusive to the higher trims.
Recalls??? I have not been notified of any recalls. Please provide more info. (2022 RTL)

·
Administrator
23,780 Posts
Recalls??? I have not been notified of any recalls. Please provide more info. (2022 RTL)

All recalls I mentioned can be verified on NHTSA's website.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E White/Beige HPD bronze (no decals)
143 Posts
This might work better so things in your pocket don't bump the buttons. I'm going to try one.
I shopped for key covers for a while, tried 3 different types, and settled on this one, the negative reviews mentioned how difficult it is to hit the buttons so I knew it was for me! The buttons are behind a somewhat stiff piece of plastic. It's virtually impossible to accidentally hit a button, even when I intentionally activate a button it takes some effort. It's especially difficult to activate the alarm because the cover is raised above that button. I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly waterproof too. Highly recommend!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts