Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first Honda and I have to say the ability to change Navigation is overly restricted when in motion. I understand the safety/legal reasons why Honda likely did this but it would be nice when we are traveling if my passenger could input a new address. Right now, we have to come to a stop to do this! Am I missing some setting that will loosen this restriction?

In our VW's they simply display a warning and then once this is bypassed the navigation screen can be manipulated by the passenger (and yes, by the driver too). I liked this since it allows my spouse to set a destination after we are on our way.

Please tell me I am simply missing a setting on a screen somewhere.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
So this is my first Honda and I have to say the ability to change Navigation is overly restricted when in motion. I understand the safety/legal reasons why Honda likely did this but it would be nice when we are traveling if my passenger could input a new address. Right now, we have to come to a stop to do this! Am I missing some setting that will loosen this restriction?

In our VW's they simply display a warning and then once this is bypassed the navigation screen can be manipulated by the passenger (and yes, by the driver too). I liked this since it allows my spouse to set a destination after we are on our way.

Please tell me I am simply missing a setting on a screen somewhere.

Paul.
Use voice commands while moving....

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is not a normal menu item to do this. I know of 2 ways to make it less restrictive. You can disable the motion restriction in the developers mode but this takes a few button presses and must be done every time the truck is started. There is a device that can be attached to the back of the head unit but it cost $200. I went with the device on the head unit. It was worth it to me so the passenger can do entries.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Must be a US thing as the Canadian version has no restrictions when it comes to entering a destination or changing destinations while under way. I just double checked this by going out to my RL and driving away. While driving I entered a new destination, I then changed this destination all while driving and then changed it again to go home while driving so unless I misunderstood something, we do not have the restrictions mentioned on Canadian versions. Just to make things clear, all entries were done on the touch screen. Maybe I should say the upgraded 8" screen as I have do not know if this is the same on the smaller unit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
There is not a normal menu item to do this. I know of 2 ways to make it less restrictive. You can disable the motion restriction in the developers mode but this takes a few button presses and must be done every time the truck is started. There is a device that can be attached to the back of the head unit but it cost $200. I went with the device on the head unit. It was worth it to me so the passenger can do entries.
I sent you a PM. :smile:

·
Registered
269 Posts
So what was involved installing the device, did you have to take the whole radio out? Where did you get power for it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
So what was involved installing the device, did you have to take the whole radio out? Where did you get power for it?
I haven't bought the unit yet, but it does entail removing the head unit. It's simply plugged in-line with the harness that feeds the head unit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You splice into two wires that are on the oem connector for power and ground.
You have to take several dash trim pieces off to get to the radio and then you pull the radio out.
They provide really good instructions. I found it easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts