Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm sure I could dig through these forums and find the answers to these questions, but I figured I'd see if anyone can answer them quickly for me. I'm about a week in (450 miles!) on my new RTL-E. So far, I love it, and have no real complaints. But I do have some questions / confusions that I'd love some help on:

1) The stereo console:

No, it isn't perfect. It's slow, and non-intuitive. But I don't hate it. But I can't figure a few things out. First, the clock / wallpaper thing. I have yet to figure out how to display the clock as a default 'home' screen. Is this possible? The only way I can display the large clock is by going through about 5 or 6 button presses. What's the deal?

2) The center console display (under speedometer). Is there a way to change what information you can have there? The only options I have are compass, tire pressure, oil, and trip odometers. Is that customizable at all?

3) On the intelligent cruise control....do any of you know if the rear brake lights illuminate when the truck automatically slows down to stay on speed or if a car in front slows unexpectedly? Just curious if a car behind me would know I was slowing down if it was being done by the ACC.

4) Headlight / Tai light blinking when locking / unlocking remotely. Is this an option? I haven't found it. Sometimes when I'm walking away I want to make sure the car is locked, and having the lights blink is a good indicator. Doesn't seem to do this.

5) Eco Mode? Does this just turn off a couple of the cylinders?

6) Trunk lights / Trunk smell. I know there are a lot of threads on this. I just can't seem to get rid of that smell! I can't put anything in there yet. Tried Ozium and Green Clean, etc. I was going to leave the trunk open overnight to air it out but worried the batter will drain, I can't seem to have the trunk open without the bed lights staying on.

I think that's it for now. I'm sure there will be more. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I'll address #5 & #6 -

I believe I remember hearing that Eco mode just changes the throttle mapping - I've found that I get better mileage with eco mode off and a very light foot

Trunk smell - good luck! It's just as strong on my two year old 2017 as day one. You can air it out, and it may diminish for a short time, but, like Arnold, it'll be back!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
169 Posts
#2: No, you can't customize it. What you see is what you get.

#3: Yes, the brake lights come on as the system applies the brakes.

#4: I believe there is an option to flash your lights when locking. I know mine flashes when I lock or unlock the truck. You can press the lock button twice and you should hear a beep telling you that the truck is locked.

#5: No, it just changes the throttle mapping like mentioned above

#6: From my experience the best way to get rid of the smell is to just use the trunk and it will eventually go away (for the most part). It takes over a year for the strong smell to go away.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
1. Search online there is a you tube video (I think it was you tube)that explains all the customizable features you can manipulate though the radio console.

4. The radio is where you can make those settings, you can set how the car locks whether it beeps or flashes in there. I set my lock so when it unlocks all doors unlock at the same time. I think the default factory was 1 click unlocked the drivers door, 2 clicks unlocks all. In settings If I remember correctly. This is also where you reset the the change oil reminder (B16)

#6 I got rid of the trunk smell by cloving an orange (or apple) (Cloving is sticking cloves in a unpeeled fruit-like 50 or more) then just leave it in the trunk. No real smell after a a week or so, now I just have a faint residual clove/orange smell which is nice. This is an old car sales trick before modern ozium products. It was mostly used to get rid smoking smell from ppl smoking in a car

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was going to leave the trunk open overnight to air it out but worried the batter will drain, I can't seem to have the trunk open without the bed lights staying on.

I think that's it for now. I'm sure there will be more. Thanks in advance!
You can leave the trunk open to air it out, the lights turn off automatically after 30 minutes. You could also try a few boxes of baking soda or a pan of cat litter or oil dry. But, like @HyperPete said, even after two years of regular use, my trunk and even my bed still have a noticeable plastic smell (part of that may be due to the fact that I put a bed cover on the day after I bought the truck and leave it closed unless I'm hauling something that won't fit under it).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll try the cloves suggestion, I just can't figure out why Honda would use something so toxic. I put groceries in there the other day and had to throw some away because I could taste the chemicals in the food. Can't be good for you.

I'll keep exploring the door lock situation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
634 Posts
You don’t have to have your trunk open, you can just unscrew the drain bolt and let it air out that way.
This is what I did. I left it out for about 6 months. After a few months, I no longer noticed an odor. I now have the drain plug back in, still no or very slight odor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I’ve read about the eco assist is that it does four things. 1. Changes the responsiveness of the throttle at the initial press and after half way pressed 2. Changes the transmission timing of shifts to the next gear up or down to reduce engine rev 3. Cruise control takes longer to respond to speed changes from driving conditions, especially hill slopes, and 4. Reduces air conditioning power.

The trunk smell - I used two large boxes of baking soda changed out every month and also left opened boxes of dryer sheets in the trunk and my trunk smell was gone in about six months. For the baking soda look for the boxes that open on the side to a fabric inner liner so more of the soda is exposed without spilling it.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
This is what I did. I left it out for about 6 months. After a few months, I no longer noticed an odor. I now have the drain plug back in, still no or very slight odor.
I keep my trailer hitch, tie-downs, a towing strap, a "jump box" and similar items in the trunk. Leaving the plug out would likely result in these items being ruined by water ingress during inclement weather, so that is not an option for me. I also put bags and packages in the trunk if they do not include food that is not in a sealed container. Same concern during inclement weather.

I honestly don't notice it any longer unless I pay attention to it, and then I am very aware of the strong odor. I guess I just got used to it smelling strongly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
ECO is the new VCM, Variable Cylinder Management. The computer checks the load on the engine and shuts off fuel to cylinders 1-4 as required. I believe it also changes some of the shift points in the tranny as well, hence the slower throttle response, better MPG and cool green border around your gauges. ECO will only kick in once the engine is up to a certain temperature. This past winter in my Pilot, VCM would not engage when outside temps were around -15F and the truck ran cold. Once nice thing with the G2 RL is that you can push the button and disable ECO/VCM and keep all 6 firing if you want. There were aftermarket systems (VCMuzzler) you could install to disable VCM, but it was on all the time by default

VCM had issues in the 09-13 Honda with excessive oil consumption due to lots of oil getting by cyl 1-4 when they were not firing. Fouled plugs as well. It will be interesting to see how this generation of the V6 does with new ECO technology and the fixes Honda implemented in the last decade. Am I concerned about it? Not really. I make it a habit to check the oil at every gas stop and have carried that forward with my new RL. I leave ECO enabled on my RTL-E and my MPG's with my driving are around 24.7 based on miles/gallons. So far it is pretty close to what the computer tells me as well.

Three weeks in to ownership here and loving it.

I have yet to set up the Honda voice recognition for my cell. Maybe this weekend. The only things in my trunk are jumper cables, first aid kits, small tool set, tie downs, tow receivers and ratchet straps

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
ECO is the new VCM, Variable Cylinder Management. The computer checks the load on the engine and shuts off fuel to cylinders 1-4 as required. I believe it also changes some of the shift points in the tranny as well, hence the slower throttle response, better MPG and cool green border around your gauges. ECO will only kick in once the engine is up to a certain temperature. This past winter in my Pilot, VCM would not engage when outside temps were around -15F and the truck ran cold. Once nice thing with the G2 RL is that you can push the button and disable ECO/VCM and keep all 6 firing if you want. There were aftermarket systems (VCMuzzler) you could install to disable VCM, but it was on all the time by default

VCM had issues in the 09-13 Honda with excessive oil consumption due to lots of oil getting by cyl 1-4 when they were not firing. Fouled plugs as well. It will be interesting to see how this generation of the V6 does with new ECO technology and the fixes Honda implemented in the last decade. Am I concerned about it? Not really. I make it a habit to check the oil at every gas stop and have carried that forward with my new RL. I leave ECO enabled on my RTL-E and my MPG's with my driving are around 24.7 based on miles/gallons. So far it is pretty close to what the computer tells me as well.

Three weeks in to ownership here and loving it.

I have yet to set up the Honda voice recognition for my cell. Maybe this weekend. The only things in my trunk are jumper cables, first aid kits, small tool set, tie downs, tow receivers and ratchet straps
Can you source your info as regards ECO and VCM? I believe ECO is strictly throttle mapping as another member stated. I don't believe that ECO is related to VCM in this iteration.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
.... I don't believe that ECO is related to VCM in this iteration.
Ditto on that - all the info I've found through diligent research on the topic supports that on/off of the ECO mode has no bearing on operation of VCM on the G2 RL through 2019.

Would that it did, all of the several aftermarket VCM 'defeat devices' much discussed here would be moot.

Reactions: TheITGuy

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would be happy if it is not. I asked the service mgr about it when I had his ear on the e-brake hook up. He said that VCM was now ECO and that you can bypass it by disabling ECO. I'm meeting up with a few guys that work over at Honda R&D tonight for beverages. I'll see if they have any insight in to this. Now you all have me scratching my head and wondering....

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would be happy if it is not. I asked the service mgr about it when I had his ear on the e-brake hook up. He said that VCM was now ECO and that you can bypass it by disabling ECO. I'm meeting up with a few guys that work over at Honda R&D tonight for beverages. I'll see if they have any insight in to this. Now you all have me scratching my head and wondering....
The service manager is wrong. A lot of them don't know anything about the truck. Eco mode has nothing to do with the VCM.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't think that's right either. Even if the truck had VCM, I don't think it would shut down all but two cylinders. And if it does, I think it would be noticeable that two or four cylinders weren't operating.

And I hope they don't go to such a system. Last I looked into it, VCM and stop/start had bad effects on engine reliability.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I don't think that's right either. Even if the truck had VCM, I don't think it would shut down all but two cylinders. And if it does, I think it would be noticeable that two or four cylinders weren't operating.

And I hope they don't go to such a system. Last I looked into it, VCM and stop/start had bad effects on engine reliability.
I hate to burst your bubble but your '18 RL, like all G2's, has VCM. Acting on one bank of 3 cylinders under certain conditions, it's one of the defining characteristics of our "Earth Dreams V6".

T'would seem yours is working pretty transparently :surprise: :laugh:

No shortage of information and pro/con opinion via this forum search or google, including endless debate on the matter of reliability. But no question, we've got it, and there's no OEM provision for defeating it (it's part of basis of the EPA ratings and CAFE calculations for Honda).

Time to get back to the OP's thread .... :wink:

Reactions: JJkroch
1 - 20 of 25 Posts