Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had 3 dealers within 300 miles of Ft. Myers tell me that they can't get RTL-E's? Most dealers in FL have none. I've been trying to buy a Obsidian Blue RTL-E for 5 weeks. There are none. Local dealers have not offered to order one. Just waiting for Honda to send them? I don't understand the issue here, as I see dealers 1000 miles away have RTL-E's?
One dealer said they did not think RTL-E's would sell, but these are the #1 requested models here, others not selling well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel your pain. I had the same issue here in Washington State.
Looked all over and a few dealers showed RTL-Es in new inventory but when I called, they said those vehicles were ordered and sold. Then why show them in your inventory?
I just put a down for an RTL-E in either Modern Steel or Lunar Silver (to increase my chances) and the dealer told me that it would take anywhere between 8-12 wks for delivery. They looked around in the state for one but said there were absolutely none so it would be more like 12 wks before I received it.
It seems everyone wants the RTL-E since all the hype in the reviews/test drives/sites include the add-ons that only the RTL-E and the Black Edition include (inbed speakers, 400 watt power, moonroof, conversation mirror, etc.)

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
I think Honda failed at doing their market research in that area. The original 1st gen RT prices started in the low to mid $20k's. Prices steadily rose a bit through its 10 years of availability, but the RT was a great base truck with no frills that was perfectly affordable. Now, that same base model with AWD is over $32,000. The RTS and Sport models are $34-35k. I may be off base, but if you're willing to pay in the mid $30's for a base model truck, why would you not just spend an extra $5-6k and get the top of the line with all of the awesome features the RTL-E offers? If the RT were still around $28k with AWD and the RTS/Sport were just a few thousand more, I think you'd see more frugal people buying them. There simply isn't enough of a price difference to justify not getting an upper-end model.

I also think the 2WD models will be a thing of the past within a few years, or they will make even less of them than they are now. As much as I hate to say it, if you buy a 2WD RL, you basically have an Odyssey with a bed. This is a stigma that Gen1 owners fought for over a decade. Honda only made it worse by offering this machine. I would never own a RL that wasn't AWD.

That being said, if the dealership really wants to make a sale, they can do a dealer trade with another dealership to get the truck you want. The problem is finding a dealership that is willing to give up an RTL-E - which will likely be next to impossible. Another option would be to find one, get a one-way flight to wherever it is and drive it hope. It will give you time to get a feel for your new truck and it could be a nice little getaway for you. After a quick search on Autotrader, it appears there is a blue RTL-E at two dealerships that are each about 110-120 miles from you. One is at Delray Honda in Delray Beach and the other is at Headquarter Honda in Clermont. I wish you luck in your search.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
371 Posts
What I don't understand is that you (being buyers) still don't understand the process of how Honda dealers get their vehicles. They are given allotments by Honda, they can not pick models and colors, they get what Honda says what they will get and that's it. What is true is that the larger the dealer (sales that is) the more vehicles they are going to get, if you are a smaller dealer and have 1-2 RL's in stock and expect your dealer to get you a E model anytime soon, good luck, he may only be getting 2-3 per year and he has no say so on color. Personally giving a deposit on a vehicle three or four months out is totally idiotic and to promise a color, well you have a 1-8 chance of getting that right. When it comes to dealer trades why would you think that some dealer is going to give up one of their top sellers to another dealer just so they can make all that profit and them not, do you really think that's the way it works. Dealers can only tell about two months out on their production models and what they have coming, where they can tell 3-4 months out is beyond me, I guess they are guessing. Honda can't keep up with the upper model Pilot's either, do you see a pattern developing here, I do.

trainman

·
Registered
94 Posts
We went into our dealership looking for an E or a BE. We were told there were NO E's available NOR were there any on the production forecast. We lucked out, they did have a BE on allocation (should have been built last week, waiting for the VIN number). With luck it will be arriving next week!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
You hit nail on the head with your response. I did a lot research on why the shortage of RTL-Es. I had a number of honest salesman explain it to me and at first I could get my head wrapped around how Honda does business. Finally, I decided if I really wanted an RTL-E, I was going to have to call around outside of my local area. I put down 3 deposits with dealers and waited. By luck the 3rd dealership worked out. I called right as they got their monthly allocation sheet and they were scheduled to get one Scarlet RTL-E...the exact color I wanted. The vehicle had not been pre-sold to anyone, so I put down a $500.00 deposit and got my car in 30 days. My salesman said, although their dealership is rated #1 for their area, this was the first RTL-E they'd received. They had a couple of lower model trims on the lot, but not the RTL-E. As a matter of fact, I just picked it up on 11/3/16. He said, I was lucky to call when I did. It took me two days to make arrangements (time off from work and a flight) to get there to pickup up the vehicle, but I had all my financing and insurance in place the day he called to say the car was on the lot. I got there as fast as I could, because I didn't want the vehicle to be sold from underneath me. I'm glad I made it there quickly, cause my salesman said there was alot of interested buyers waiting to see if the deal fell thru. So, for those of you trying to find one, I suggest you call around, but you're going to have to be ready to jump on it fast with a deposit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I placed my deposit on a black RTL-E back on July 25. I'm still waiting on a delivery date. This is my first Honda purchase (maybe).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a RTL-T on order for 4 weeks now in Wisconsin, and still no word from dealer as to a estimated date or VIN #. I have 2 other friends also looking for ridgelines, one was told for a RTL-t will take 9 months - too long.
I am patient however Honda needs to get their act together with at least a production date for those that order with deposits. Their allocation system could be their down fall.:|
Another dealer offered to do a trade with another dealer for $2500.00 additional.
I am hoping to have a truck by Christmas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined yesterday and very interested in this thread. I put $500 down on RTL-E mid August and was told initially it would take 4 weeks, then later told possibly 90 days, and as of yesterday was told not to expect it before next year. Checked online in 200 mile radius from my northeast Arkansas location and found 3 listed in inventory, but when I called all had been sold. I did find a Black Edition in Springfield Mo. It just floors me Honda would invest in a huge ad campaign since January, emphasizing the high-end bells and whistles and then not have the capability to deliver. Really aggravated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What I don't understand is that you (being buyers) still don't understand the process of how Honda dealers get their vehicles. They are given allotments by Honda, they can not pick models and colors, they get what Honda says what they will get and that's it. ...
Crazy. Did not know that. But no need to call us idiots.

When I did put down my money, my dealership asked what color, so I gave him two with a preference on the Modern Steel. He said no problem, I could choose whatever color I want. I pick it up Tuesday. It took 10 weeks. Maybe he knows someone on the assembly line. I don't know.

I do realize though, that with the gaining popularity of the RTL-E even in the short amount of time since I ordered mine, production will probably be backlogged for a while. I'm glad I put it down when I did. However, those who will be getting theirs later, I'm sure they'll have most of the kinks worked out of any production issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
"What I don't understand is that you (being buyers) still don't understand the process of how Honda dealers get their vehicles."

I can understand that method when it comes to ordering INVENTORY, but when a customer walks in with a deposit the truck should be ordered and manufactured within a 6 to 8 week period. This is a vehicle that will not sit on inventory, hence not cost the dealer any hold back or LIFO/FIFO inventory reconciliation. Plus, we are all paying MSRP and in some areas paying ADM!

I put money down on 2 Sept on a red E and was told 6 to 8 weeks. "we will call you when we get the VIN number"

On 24 Oct I got a texted screenshot of a system that showed everything but a production date (hidden for obvious reasons) - later to find out that the production date was 9 Nov - 11 Nov. I talked to the sales manager and he said "two weeks, MAX", so I sold my 12 CRV - weather was nice enough to ride my Fury to work - 35 degrees at 7 am is really cold.

I called the dealer on 31 Oct - no one would talk to me. My salesman TEXTED me that my truck would be in around mid December. I called him and he told me that my truck was never ordered when they said it would be and that is why the mid Dec date. Then to make matters worse, I went on line and found what I was looking for in Memphis - about 4 to 5 hours away. I called my salesman and told him that if his dealer wanted the sale of this truck that they should do what they need to do to get that truck here for me. I was told that the sales manager told the salesman, "if he, the customer, wants that truck from Memphis, then he can go get it himself". I can assure you one thing, I will NEVER use this Honda dealer for ANYTHING in the future - not even free oil changes.

All I want at this point is to find out if my truck has been made and is on the way. I have called the factory in Alabama, Customer service in California, the dealerships' home office and NOTHING. Been driving Hondas, (Cars, trucks, vans, SUV's, motorcycles) exclusively, for 35 years, perhaps time for a change?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts