Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my RTL-E for 5 weeks and in that time I have had one stone chip on the windshield that occurred about 2 weeks ago. I opted for the stone chip repair at a local glass shop since it was toward the passenger side. Well yesterday I must have had a second stone/pebble hit the upper part of the windshield. I didn't hear anything but after a meeting I got in the car to find a 4 inch crack coming straight down from the top of the driver's upper windshield. Took a look at it and there is a subtle stone chip mark so I cannot claim a defect in the windshield or installation caused this crack.

So, now I am going to get this replaced. I know these acoustic windshields are expensive but I want this fixed since I just bought my first new vehicle in a long long time! I'll be making an insurance claim on it but wanted to know if I should go through a Honda dealer due to the special windshield or go through a local reputable glass shop? We have a small local chain that did the stone chip repair that I have trusted over the years. I figured they are more adept with windshields than a dealer. Would they simply buy an OEM windshield? I doubt there are aftermarket replacements yet.... or are there??

Paul.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
I have had experience with aftermarket glass with a glass shop. The aftermarket Has not caught up with all the new Honda sensors. Go to ins and tell them you want OEM glass and have a reputable glass shop install. Most dealers use an aftermarket shop anyways.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Just everyone understands, I was not dissing the dealers. Most dealers do not have the personal or space to store the multitude of different windshields nowadays.
They get the glass and then call an installer that they have a good relationship with. ?

· Registered
3,712 Posts
Someone on the Honda Accord forum went through this. Bottom line, use OE glass only. There were problems aiming the camera with aftermarket glass. Granted, the aftermarket industry may have since caught up but the only way to be sure is to use OEM glass regardless of whatever lip service someone gives you. Although out of date, this was the situation in 2014. The links below may help when discussing with your insurance company.

http://www.glassbytes.com/documents/PartsInfoDriverAssistSystemsFinal.pdf

And the saga of hitting a curb continues. UPDATE: It's Finally Over. Honda Was Right - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I stopped by the dealer and asked the service manager who they use for windshield repairs/replacement. He gave me the contact info for their glass installer and I called them and initiated the insurance claim. They'll order the OEM windshield and install it right at my dealership. The dealer will stand behind the work so if there is any issues with the Honda sensors they'll take care of things. I feel much better with doing it with the dealer involved as I spent time reading some of those Accord issues in the above link and felt I didn't want to go to a glass shop that did not have an affiliation with a Honda dealer.

I'll post further details when the windshield is replaced.

Paul.

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. When I got mine replaced through insurance I used the glass shop recommended by my Honda service manager. The job was actually done by the shop right at the dealer. Since it was insurance I didn't get an itemized breakdwon but they told me the acoustic windshield was ~ $800 and labor was ~ $300. I just had a $100 copay and my insurance agreed to cover the bill so I didn't shop around. With the parts prices you quote it sounds like my dealer and shop got a nice profit on this one!

Good luck. Are you nervous about the Honda Sense, Lane Keep Assist remaining aligned/calibrated after the replacement? This is why i went with the glass shop trusted by my service manager.

Paul.

· Registered
461 Posts
Not nervous. My guy is very familiar with the process. Likely go back to Honda after its done for a camera reset.

My guy brings in his "glass guy" and they tackle it together. He even said he will be using a tool supplied by Porsche to get the glass out.

Will inform you guys on all the details.

· Registered
408 Posts
Got a chip the size of a golf ball the other day, went to dealer for Maintenance B yesterday, and went to collision centre for glass filling like they go on SpeedyGlass for $70. We'll see if this holds up. If not, I was quoted $1200 for OEM replacement (no aftermarket available yet for my trim level boohoo).

· Registered
1,264 Posts
At this point you don't want aftermarket. They have not caught up with the newer windshield technology yet. And then there are different levels of glass depending on what trim level RL you have.

· Registered
25 Posts
So, I have just the "Acoustic Glass".. here in Chicagoland I went with Gerber Collision & Glass - seemingly very reputable.

$445 by the way.

I was home and watched - unremarkable. Tech mentioned, not surprisingly, that the trim clips break frequently (20 years on-the-job). All three on the Drivers Side broke, NONE on the Passenger - which were simply reused. He showed me that the supplied replacement clips didn't quite fit right. Said OEM clips are needed - 3 to 5 days. Screw up same day in office stated they now had them. Scheduled next day. ****ups call and say oops, same set (non-OEM). Finally, yesterday (I did not witness the work) the new clips were installed. However, there's tape all over the trim and the usual instruction about no car wash and no drive for x hours... it seems that they must have GLUED it somewhere. Contact no longer responding via phone or e-mail.

Question is, and I asked of them: if the passenger side is fine using original clips without adhesive, and your own expert says OEM replacement should be same, WHY did your [different] guy use adhesive on the driver side? Wrong clips fudged, or unnecessary, inexperienced slop?

I also suggested to them that I'd like an explanation before I visit the Honda Dealer to inspect their work. Don't know about you guys, but in my area most people check on-line for reviews... you'd think that they'd like to straighten this out BEFORE I post a factually disparaging review.

Comments?

· Registered
25 Posts
Most or all of the newer windshields are (glue on). The clips are for the mouldings.

Of course.

My understanding was that the windshield surround (metal) had three contact brackets, for the purpose of attaching the trim, on each side. I did not know, now explained by Gerber, that the "clip" is actually two components... one is glued to the metal bracket of the windshield surrounding metal, and the other is pressed into the prefab moulding (trim). Then, the trim, with clip, is pressed onto the receiving clip on the metal surround.

So, it appears that the adhesive IS required; AND, the entire clip [assembly] had broken on removal.

· Premium Member
484 Posts
Got a chip the size of a golf ball the other day, went to dealer for Maintenance B yesterday, and went to collision centre for glass filling like they go on SpeedyGlass for $70. We'll see if this holds up. If not, I was quoted $1200 for OEM replacement (no aftermarket available yet for my trim level boohoo).
You might check you insurance. Glass is normally covered with a no/low deductable.

· Registered
25 Posts
Most do, but State Farm is one of the larger insurers that does not cover windshield chip repairs. I don't know who BC has for insurance, though....
Just checked with my agent to add this (State Farm - Chicagoland). Of course my policy may differ, but it was only $11/6 months... repairs and full replacements; no deductible. Waiting for the explicit repair policy.

I drive I55 daily - lots of big dumpers. 3 Times the CR-V has been damaged; first for the Ridgeline.

· Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Most do, but State Farm is one of the larger insurers that does not cover windshield chip repairs. I don't know who BC has for insurance, though....
Interesting; State Farms (Fire and Casualty) in Pennsylvania covers windshield repairs 100%. I purchased my comprehensive in my insurance with $0 deductible because I have had frequent windshield breaks over the years here in PA.

I also heard (through another thread) that these acoustic windshields were very "soft" and subject to breakage.

I think that schultp did it the "right way" by going through his dealership, and I think I would do it the same way if I needed mine replaced.

· Registered
25 Posts
Just checked with my agent to add this (State Farm - Chicagoland). Of course my policy may differ, but it was only $11/6 months... repairs and full replacements; no deductible. Waiting for the explicit repair policy.

I drive I55 daily - lots of big dumpers. 3 Times the CR-V has been damaged; first for the Ridgeline.

Confirmed: "... it will cover any rock chips to the windshield (full replacement, crack repair, pinhole repair, etc."

For my two Hondas, that's under $50 for the year.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.