Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going to dealerships for the past month, and I can't seem to get decent prices. I'm looking for an RTL with moon roof, and Navigation. I am adding fog lights, front grill, interior trim, Dvd system, and bed cover. All of the offers I'm getting are $42,000.00, $43,000.00. I can't beleive these prices. These dealers are showing me base MSRP's of $36,000.00 on this model, and $6,000.00 for these accessories. I really wasn't prepared for this. I don't mind paying for a good vehicle, I just feel like I'm getting robbed. Some help please. :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
RebelRaider said:
I've been going to dealerships for the past month, and I can't seem to get decent prices. I'm looking for an RTL with moon roof, and Navigation. I am adding fog lights, front grill, interior trim, Dvd system, and bed cover. All of the offers I'm getting are $42,000.00, $43,000.00. I can't beleive these prices. These dealers are showing me base MSRP's of $36,000.00 on this model, and $6,000.00 for these accessories. I really wasn't prepared for this. I don't mind paying for a good vehicle, I just feel like I'm getting robbed. Some help please. :(
It will help, a little, if you could post where you live, and where you've been shopping. Someone near you may know of a dealer to talk to, or more specifically a salesperson. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I've been going to dealerships for the past month, and I can't seem to get decent prices. I'm looking for an RTL with moon roof, and Navigation. I am adding fog lights, front grill, interior trim, Dvd system, and bed cover. All of the offers I'm getting are $42,000.00, $43,000.00. I can't beleive these prices. These dealers are showing me base MSRP's of $36,000.00 on this model, and $6,000.00 for these accessories.
That's what I call a Rocky Mountain high! Have you tried negotiating the price of the base truck first and once you arrive at a satisfactory price, then negotiating the accessories?

·
Registered
142 Posts
RebelRaider said:

JUST SAY NO!!!!

Seriously, where do you live? I don't know of any area that won't sell for at least (or should I say, at most?) Dealer Invoice - and many are substantially below.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow! Are you shopping in downtown Manhattan, or wearing a lot of bling bling, or a recent lottery winner?

Seriously, you can do a lot better! Let us help you by telling us where you are. You can also learn a lot about what some of us paid by perusing Shopping and Buying Experiences.

Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Even 6 months ago, that would be considered high for this vehicle. I agree that you should look into just negotiating the vehicle first, and negotiate from invoice or below up. Tell them you want 500 under invoice and if they don't listen turn around and walk out telling them to call you when they will meet your price. You can always go to another dealer and play it a little differently.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
RebelRaider said:
I've been going to dealerships for the past month, and I can't seem to get decent prices. Some help please. :(
RR,
I see you just joined Friday . . . I'm sympathetic, as I'm still figuring out the 'particulars' of the site myself. On the home page, go to "User CP", and then go to "Edit Profile" to enter where you're from. It will show up automatically on your posts, so we'll know where you are. Now back to your real problem.

My strong recommendation: Stop "going to dealerships". I can tell you from my own experience that you can save a truckload of cash by shopping dealers on-line via their "internet managers". Just contact dealers within reasonable "pick-up a new care" distance (I'd go at least 100 miles). And send a 'broadcast' query to open the bidding. Unless you're in Bumsquat Egypt, you should get some serious contention from multiple competitors.
Don't be surprised if some dealers are more aggressive than others. You'll probably quickly pare down down to a few (2-3) that are the most agressive. You might want to give others that are ball-parkish a second shot by throwing a target price at them . . . but you really ought not to directly reveal what the others are offering. This bidding can get real interesting real fast. Especially when you write back to regretfully inform one of these hounds that you've gotten a better deal elsewhere (& make sure you do that BEFORE accepting an offer).
Honestly, I was very surprised at the great deal I got, & was even a little remorseful that I couldn't do anything for the last 1 or 2 that didn't make the final sale . . . they really will try hard if you are patient & helpful in letting them know when they're not giving you a price that will make the sale

NEXT, be sure you are just pricing the model that you want (NO ACCESSORIES), and be specific (color, moonroof, etc) in your first solicitation. Get the price for the car out of the way, and move on to accessories ONLY after you have your price in writing for the basic car.
Negotiate the accessories the same way as you did the car . . . you might want to get your 'best price' on accessories from the dealer you choose for the vehicle prior to buying it . . . only because you might get some leverage there. But my experience was that a full package of expensive accessories provided just as big a negotiating plum for some dealers as the car itself did. In fact, it was different dealers that had the best prices for accessories than had the best price for the car. You might also want to have the accessories & service relationship closer to home, if the pricing is close. Get them to breakdown the accessories pricing for you by material & labor separately (tell them you might want to install yourself). Then USE INTERNET PRICING as a 'price-matching' ploy for these dealers. That will give them a target to chase . . . and if they've already given you their labor price, they can't push that up to offset any deal they give you on parts. I was surprised to find a dealer matched the parts prices directly (I expected he'd argue the 'shipping & handling' point get get another 10% or something). Others, on the other hand didn't want any part. You've really just got to shop around. You're talking about potentially saving $5-7000. Take the time to find out who's willing to play & go for it. Good Luck!
OH YEAH - don't forget the great warranty deals you can get via referal here on the site (search warranty). We've got a great connection in that regard. AND DON'T buy paint/fabric protection, etc., etc.

Hope to see pics of your new Ridge here before too long . . .
:)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
One more tip RR . . . in the future you might want to think about putting a more 'informative' title on your initial posting. It might prompt more folks to respond to a subject they might be familiar with. Glad to see you're with us (makes me feel not quite as newbie as I really am).

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I’ve got to agree 100% with Dnick. This is what we did and we are still ecstatic with our Ridgeline purchase. It will save you a bundle and you don’t have to burn gas doing it!:p

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Just a couple of things to consider along the way.
1) "Profit" is not a dirty word.
2) If you buy your vehicle from an out of town dealer as a commodity based solely on the lowest price, you can not reasonably expect your neighborhood dealer to go out of their way for you and offer anything more than the minimum service required, also as a commodity. When you are in a jamb and it's the day before you leave for vacation and suddenly the check engine light comes on - who 'ya gonna call? If your local dealer just can't seem to fit you in and your selling dealer that is hundreds of miles away also doesn't care because you were a one-shot customer and he doesn't see you for regular service anyway. He made a very few dollars on that initial transaction but they are long gone now. There is no expectation on his part that he would ever see you again. Just remember that it was your decision that left you on your own.
The short version of all of that is, for most people, that there is value in a relationship with your servicing dealer. The best deal is not always the lowest price. In order for the relationship to be established and be of any value it must work both ways.
We all know the type of dealers where building relationships with customers is a foreign concept. In my opinion, those are the ones to avoid. They are also the ones that may offer what seems like the 'best deal' or the lowest price. My whole point is that if you can find a credible dealer in your area, don't bypass them if only to save a few dollars on the purchase price.

Well, now that I got that off my chest, anybody want to talk about what WalMart has done to local businesses in your town? Remember that great hardware store downtown? How about Lou at the corner service station that always was able to keep your car running when you needed it the most. And how about that little neighborhood grocery store that was always so pleasant to shop in. Andy the grocer always had just what you needed when you needed it. And when you needed to know how to prepare something special you could count on Andy for the best advice.
I really don't want to talk about WalMart - at least not here. I think you get my point.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm glad to see someone sees things my way Ultra. I didn't buy the cheapest price. I bought the best dealer. I figure it cost me $1000 but I believe I'll get that back with interest over the life of the truck. The people at Elk Grove Honda are first class pros. I wouldn't buy from anyone else.
On the subject of Walmart, we also agree. When Sam Walton ran that shop they gave fair prices and some of the stuff was made here, in the USA. Since his kids took over they have been leading the flight to the bottom. I wouldn't set foot in one of their stores.
Everyone deserves a straight deal, workers, owners, investors, everyone. When one group makes big money at the expense of the others our communities and our nation suffer.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
All good points. We've all gotta do what's right in our own mind. But, I'd have to say the "relationship" with your dealer isn't necessarily based soley on purchase. I have a great relationship with our local dealer & I did not buy the cars from them. But I did respect the help I got from the local sales gal there - she was very helpful all around, even though they could not match the other dealer's internet pricing. What I did was drop $200 on her personally as an expression of appreciation for the value she brought to my shopping/buying experience. She (& her general manager) were both surprised & please with the gesture. I'm sure that didn't hurt the relationship building notion when it came time to negotiate accessories & start arranging regular service, etc. I bought a $3000 hard top for my S2000 from them . . . a dealer should recognize there is more value in the long term customer relationship than there is with a single purchase. Some might not.
I also respect that some folks can better justify laying down extra cash at times, where others of us need/choose to be more frugal. It's all good if at the end of the day you're comfortable you've done the right thing.

On the "Walmart" point, I do recognize that the big corporate (car) dealers can afford lower prices than the independent guys. That's OK by me . . . I'll support the independents with my regular service & accessories business. There are plenty of other folks with enough handy cash that they won't 'cherry pick' the best dealer price - and they'll buy at the independent places because of the great reputation we all propogate as a result of the the great service they provide. It can be a win-win.

·
Registered
19 Posts
RebelRaider said:
I don't know where yo live but it might be worth going out of state to save several thousand dollars. I bought the same truck on July 28th with the following options:
Bed Extender
Trailer Tow package
Fog Lights
Rear Seat Storage Sysytem
Cargo Net
Price:Under 34,000
Dealer: David McDavid Frisco TX
Slaesman:James Appleby

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
One thing to remember is that you generally don't do business with a dealership, you do business with a sales department, and then later a service department. The service department is a separate business that makes money off you. Sure you won't be able to play your sales people off your service department to get them to treat you better if you need it, but if you find a good service department you don't have to buy from them. I generally don't go to the dealership I purchased from for service because their service department is pretty bad, but the dealership I do service with has horrible sales department. If I had to find a combination of the two I would probably still be shopping. The same was true of the place that I purchased my Subaru, they had excellent sales but their service department was a pain in the neck. I had to push them to get things done correctly. And with them I was locked into servicing the vehicle there because I got a 3 year maintenance plan with them when I purchased. I would never do that again even though it saved me about $1000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RebelRaider--- I am also in the process of buying a RTL Nav w/ Moon roof. I have gotten them down to 29,973. I checked my email and had the guy email me back and say if I buy now $250 will be taken off... But to get to this I have done extensive research on RL's and thanks to RLOC. I have taken things from here and brought the price down. Best of luck to you!!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
RockyG said:
RebelRaider--- I am also in the process of buying a RTL Nav w/ Moon roof. I have gotten them down to 29,973. I checked my email and had the guy email me back and say if I buy now $250 will be taken off... But to get to this I have done extensive research on RL's and thanks to RLOC. I have taken things from here and brought the price down. Best of luck to you!!
Good work, RockyG. When do you get your truck?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
RockyG said:
Yikes!!! :eek: I'm not worthy, I'm not worty.

I guess prices have come down the last few months - nice goin'

You da man . . . (unless you're a rocky of the female persuasion, that is)

·
Registered
233 Posts
cajunridger said:
Picked up my RTL last night at Pensacola Honda for $1000 below invoice.
Hey cajunridger! Welcome to the club and you definitely have yourself a good deal :D How's P-cola these days? I've been to that area on three occassions for school at Corry Station (last visit was '98). Be sure to visit the following link and post your zip code (32501?) and I'll add you to the ROC Stars Map.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts