Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, but "everybody's doing it" (not just Honda) and it's becoming increasingly difficult to avoid - cylinder deactivation, forced induction, idle stop, direct injection, CVT's, hybrid powertrains... Infiniti's new QX50 and Nissan's new Altima have variable-displacement engines that mechanically vary the geometry of the crankshaft to change the stroke of the pistons. The Ram has now technically become a hybrid for 2019 - even the base V6 and optional V8 have an electric motor used for the start/stop system and to assist the engine.
How will this impact reliability longer term? I'm all for innovation but not at the cost of maintainability or reliability.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,710 Posts
How will this impact reliability longer term? I'm all for innovation but not at the cost of maintainability or reliability.
It's hard to say.

A base model Jeep, Dodge, or Ford is less reliable overall than a loaded Lexus, Porsche, or Toyota despite the latter being more complex and having "more things to break".

When simple things are poorly designed or use poor quality materials or are assembly poorly, they are unreliable.
When complex things are properly designed and use high quality materials and are well assembled, they are reliable.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Your response about motor mounts was fantastic. You just gave us all some very fine modern information about our Ridgelines.
BTW: in the late 1950s I constructed / modified the motor mounts I used to put a big Caddy engine in my Desoto Firedome. It took some work. I never had a problem with the engine swap. I doubt you could do that to our modern vehicles.
Thanks again for the motor mount response.
Bill H.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I've got the exact same noise. Dealer heard it but thought it was the injectors even though the sound goes away with a little throttle or when you put it in park.

Question Roger: Is the motor mount covered by warranty at 39,000 miles?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The dealership has had our 2017 RTL-T AWD with 15k miles for two weeks now trying to figure out a sound that is more noticeable on the inside of the vehicle than outside. We we first noticed the sound, kind of a chirping, fluttering sound that was evident when at a stoplight or first starting up and was pretty faint but had been getting progressively louder. When we took the vehicle to our local dealership they suspected the problem was a bad fuel pump so it was replaced by did not solve the noise. When we picked up the vehicle we could still hear the same sound but the dealership suggested we drive the vehicle around for a bit and if it got worse to bring it back. Not a good answer in my opinion, so we decided to bring to another dealership close to my girlfriend's work. The service advisor could hear the noise immediately and put one of his service technicians on it. We received updates every few days that the service tech was trying to isolate the noise but unable to pinpoint the problem. We received a call today that they believe the vehicle has a bad motor mount. They have ordered the parts and hope to have the Ridgeline back to us tomorrow. Has anyone heard of this problem? If owned a lot of vehicles in my lifetime and have never experienced one with a bad motor mount.
Motor mount or cam shaft. Camshaft will set code when it gets worn enough. Improperly shimmed issues.

·
Administrator
13,710 Posts
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I've got the exact same noise. Dealer heard it but thought it was the injectors even though the sound goes away with a little throttle or when you put it in park.

Question Roger: Is the motor mount covered by warranty at 39,000 miles?
Yes.

"Parts Covered by the [5-year, 60,000-mile] Powertrain Warranty
Your vehicle may not be equipped with all the parts listed. Other
parts may be covered. Contact an authorized Honda automobile dealer or Honda Automobile Customer Service (see inside front cover of this booklet) for further information.

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing gears and gaskets, timing chain/belt and cover, flywheel, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, engine/powertrain control module, water pump, fuel pump, seals and gaskets.

[...]"

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know because on the phone, the dealer said "you're out of warranty, but we'll see if Honda corporate will help out".

·
Registered
287 Posts
Update: Was at the dealership today and they are going to replace one of the motor mounts (forgot to ask which one). They'll call me when it comes in.
Hope this fixes it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts