Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... New to the forum… I have a 1600VIN RTL-T that has a high pitched noise \ whistle \ whine when driving over 70MPH. It does not seem to be coming from the Radio or HVAC as I have turned both off. Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hello all... New to the forum… I have a 1600VIN RTL-T that has a high pitched noise \ whistle \ whine when driving over 70MPH. It does not seem to be coming from the Radio or HVAC as I have turned both off. Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?
This was being discussed in another thread. I believe its the ANC that is causing the noise. Even if you turn the radio off, the ANC is still on. You could go into the diagnostic menu and disable the ANC and then test to see if the whine disappears.

Welcome to the ROC, My RTL-T is also in the 1600 VIN range, assembly line brothers!

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Has anyone made any headway on this issue with their dealer?
Did you check with your dealer...I read somewhere that there was a TSB issued for this....

Obviously not in the thread mentioned; however, I'm certain that I read about it as I remember going out and looking for it in my vehicle and not finding it....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I brought my RTL-T in today for the noise. I drove it with a technician and he could clearly hear the noise. They gave me a loaner and said they would check into it. Got a phone call a few hours later saying they test drove the new ridgelines on the lot and they have the same noise. Can the people of this forum please verify if they are hearing this? It is easy to hear at speeds over 70...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was not able to find a TSB and it appears that everyone is being told by dealers that this is normal since they all make the noise. Does everyone agree that a new truck should make this sound at highway cruising speeds? Are there any people out there that don’t have the noise?

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Are there any people out there that don’t have the noise?
Yes. I hear nothing out of the ordinary near 70 MPH and above. The only "noise/whistle/whine" I have is a very faint, occasional, high-pitched "electrical", vehicle speed-related whine around 45-55 MPH that is present whether or not the radio or HVAC are on. A 2015 CR-V I drove earlier this year did exactly the same thing, but the 2016 CR-V I bought didn't.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't hear it...

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I definitely notice it in the mid 70's. The idea that it is related to ANC seems very likely to me. It's more of a generated / electronic noise than a whistle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I turned off ANC via the diagnostics menu over the weekend and still have the noise. It seems to be the loudest in the 75 – 76 mph range.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone having this issue, it turned out to be the transfer assembly. Honda dispatched an engineer that identified the issue for my dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First lengthy road trip tomorrow in my new AWD RTL-T. Haven't heard anything unusual in the first 400 miles but I will turn off the AC and stereo for a while and listen for it.

Maybe it's a good thing I have some high frequency hearing loss from a lifetime of jet noise and gunfire...

·
Registered
328 Posts
What is a transfer assembly and have they done anything to fix the noise?
Can you elaborate? I have FWD and have the noise. So it is definitely not an issue with the transfer assembly/rear dif, or whatever Honda calls it.

If this is what the dealer is telling you, they're grasping at straws.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you elaborate? I have FWD and have the noise. So it is definitely not an issue with the transfer assembly/rear dif, or whatever Honda calls it.

If this is what the dealer is telling you, they're grasping at straws.
You can follow the history on this in the thread below:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-ridgeline-2g-2017/138081-faint-high-pitch-whistle-highway.html

The Honda engineer identified the noise as coming from the transfer assembly. The dealer replaced it and I am now noise free. I hope this information will help others with this issue.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts