Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, FNG here, with an ugly problem...bought a RTL-T 2 weeks ago, and while driving from Austin to Houston Saturday night, the check engine light started flashing and the engine lost a fair amount of power - but still ran. I nursed it several miles to an exit and shut it off. Opened the hood and it was hot, but the heat was coming from underneath the truck, not the engine bay. I let it sit about 10 min or so, and tried to crank it, and it cranked but smoked like crazy from the exhaust, so I immediately shut it off, locked her up and Ubered home.

Next day Honda Roadside did their thing and helped me get it towed to a local Honda dealer. I tried to crank it before the tow, but again the smoke was terrible. The codes they found at the dealer were P0300, 01, 02 and 03. The service rep said there was a service bulletin on this kind of problem on trucks at the 5k mile mark, but nothing about an issue like this at less than 1k miles. They said did a compression check, checked the coils and injectors etc and everything was within spec, and gave me the dreaded "couldn't recreate the issue". The lead tech even drove it home and back 60 miles overnight, and not a hiccup.

Any thoughts on possibilities? I'm not feeling all that good about this whole business.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you have a phone with a camera, put it to good use and start recording if it happens again.

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
Some questions that might help us help you:

1. You said the heat was coming from below, not the engine bay. Can you characterize where below. Do you mean the transmission? There's not much below the engine bay but ground. Suspension and steering. Some struts.You could say the brakes were below. Can you localize it any better?

2. You said smoke. What color was the smoke? Did it have any particular smell? Is anything leaking under the bottom of the vehicle? Was the vehicle running hot according to the temperature gauge?

3. Have you added anything to the vehicle? After-market add-ons, performance enhancers, oil or gasoline additives etc.?

4. I don't think we've ever heard about any TSB with this kind of degradation of performance at 5000 miles. Did the dealer give you any more detail? A TSB number?

5. What year is your Ridgeline?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I could tell, the heat was further towards the mid underbody probably from the catalytic converter, and the smoke was whitish from the exhaust. Definitely had strong exhaust smell as opposed to oil burning smell, or anything like that. Don’t think heat was from transmission, and the engine was definitely not overheated. The service rep later said since codes were for misfiring cylinders that it was un-burned fuel getting through to the catalytic converter. No leaking underneath seen or noted. It’s a 2019 RTL-T, no mods of any type, no fuel additives. Rep gave no TSB info, just said there was “documentation of similar issues at 5k miles”, but he was skeptical that this was related since I only had 750 total miles.

I’m concerned - but have had no problems in the 4 days since I got it back. The test will be when I get out on a couple-hundred-mile trip, but that’s not a great time to find out the problems are still there, y’know?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that’s what the service rep said.

The mystery is what caused the misfiring....they couldn’t find anything wrong, made no repairs, replaced no parts - - gave it back to me and said “call us if it farks up again”.

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
I feel for you man. That is frustrating. But this is basically a reliable vehicle. I can't help thinking that you'll be OK. But, curious, did he say which cylinders were misfiring? And, suspecting some sort of fuel issue, based on the evidence, did you fill up someplace you haven't filled up at before? Clutching at straws.

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
That’s exactly what I was getting at.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just brain storming from a storm ravaged brain. Are cylinders 01,02, & 03, the ones shut down with VCM?
More info where it appears to be the back three cylinders....................

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just brain storming from a storm ravaged brain. Are cylinders 01,02, & 03, the ones shut down with VCM?
All you folks who are dealing with the storm, hope you and your families are able to stay safe.

I bought gas at Bucc-ees 2x that day, I never had an issue with their gas and never heard of their chain having any problems.

I hear ya on the message “it’s a good, reliable machine”... that’s why I bought it. We’ll just see how it goes from here. I’m still liking the truck so just gonna keep praying this is a one time hiccup only.

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
All you folks who are dealing with the storm, hope you and your families are able to stay safe.

I bought gas at Bucc-ees 2x that day, I never had an issue with their gas and never heard of their chain having any problems.

I hear ya on the message “it’s a good, reliable machine”... that’s why I bought it. We’ll just see how it goes from here. I’m still liking the truck so just gonna keep praying this is a one time hiccup only.
Please keep us posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts