Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine is considering the RTL-T. I own the RTL-E. After living with the "E" for a few months now, there are some relevant comparisons I can make now. Looking for thoughts and opinions on the following when comparing these two trim levels

RTL-T vs RTL-E

- T has no in bed audio. A cool convenience for some but certainly not a must-have for others. A stand-alone blue tooth speaker could remedy this on the T.

- T has no power outlet in the bed. Perhaps more useful than the bed-audio but is it THAT important? Supposedly, you can get a trailer harness adapter that turns the stock harness into a high amp power outlet.

- T has less "tech" than the E. Could be looked at two ways. More tech = cool and safer for some. On the other hand, more tech means more to break or go wrong.

- T uses blind-spot camera in passenger mirror where the E uses sensing on both sides. Preference I assume.

- T does not have interior ambient lighting. A nice feature in the E at night certainly but should this be a significant factor?

- T has 7 speakers @225w where the E has 8 speakers @540w. I've heard both using the same music on the same usb stick and I cannot tell the difference. Both sound great. The extra wattage is supposedly for the in-bed audio in the E.

- T supposedly doesn't have an extra layer of sound insulation in the floor as the E does. This supposedly translates into better audio and reduced road noise. As stated, I could not tell the difference in terms of audio but a road noise comparison would be helpful.

- T does NOT have the sunroof as the E does. Sunroof is nice for the rare occasions most seem to use it. In terms of structural strength, prevailing logic seems to dictate that the Ts non-sunroof is stronger. Also, less mechanical means less to break down the line.

- T does NOT have a sliding rear window like the E does. The Es rear window indeed has the sliding glass. However, to accommodate this configuration, Honda uses two plastic trim pieces above and below the slider which to me seems MUCH less durable and resistant to scratches than the one piece glass unit used on the T. On the other hand, for long items that wouldn't otherwise fit in the bed like boards etc, the sliding rear window could come in handy. Also, again, less mechanicals = less potential for breakdown later.

- The T uses more of a matte finish on some commonly touched plastics for both interior and exterior surfaces. The E is more glossy and polished in these locations (exterior door pillars and gear shift surround etc). IMO, anything glossy looks good initially but over time, can look very bad with scratches and prints. Matte finishes don't show these nearly as much if at all.

I'm sure there might be other differences but assuming we're talking about the same AWD systems, what are your thoughts and opinions on the above SEPAREATE from budget?

-

· Registered
7 Posts
I know you said separate from budget, but it's the main reason people pick the trim they do anyway so I'm ignoring it.

If the gap from the t to the e was more like 1500 to 2000 dollars I would have probably sprung for the up model. Personally I did not find enough value in the added options to cover the near $5k price increase. Or if there had been an upgraded wheel option when stepping up to the e, to maybe a 19in rim with a 255 or 265 tire, then I think the price would be more acceptable. I also bought mine as a second vehicle so saving a few bucks each month meant more money to upgrade my z28 that I drive every day in summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
When you do the math, the gap between T and E is pretty much the same as all the other gaps between trim levels. The one sort of invisible point is that all-wheel-drive is standard on the E and optional on the T. On some pricing sheets that isn't apparent. When I first looked at the trim levels I thought the E was a rip off until I realized that since I was getting AWD no matter what, the RTL-E was pretty much a no-brainer.

For me there were also some specific creature comforts that I was going to get no matter what on my next vehicle. One of those was a heated steering wheel. I don't recall whether that separated the T and E trims or not, but I'm thinking it might have. And by the way, the Honda heated steering wheel works great and it's fast. I tend not to drive with gloves even in the winter and as I get older I've become more cold sensitive. So it was a good move for me. My point: there may be some other features that the E offers that were compelling for different groups of buyers. I do think you hit all the high points.

· Registered
392 Posts
A friend of mine is considering the RTL-T. I own the RTL-E. After living with the "E" for a few months now, there are some relevant comparisons I can make now. Looking for thoughts and opinions on the following when comparing these two trim levels

RTL-T vs RTL-E

- T has no in bed audio. A cool convenience for some but certainly not a must-have for others. A stand-alone blue tooth speaker could remedy this on the T.

- T has no power outlet in the bed. Perhaps more useful than the bed-audio but is it THAT important? Supposedly, you can get a trailer harness adapter that turns the stock harness into a high amp power outlet.

- T has less "tech" than the E. Could be looked at two ways. More tech = cool and safer for some. On the other hand, more tech means more to break or go wrong.

- T uses blind-spot camera in passenger mirror where the E uses sensing on both sides. Preference I assume.

- T does not have interior ambient lighting. A nice feature in the E at night certainly but should this be a significant factor?

- T has 7 speakers @225w where the E has 8 speakers @540w. I've heard both using the same music on the same usb stick and I cannot tell the difference. Both sound great. The extra wattage is supposedly for the in-bed audio in the E.

- T supposedly doesn't have an extra layer of sound insulation in the floor as the E does. This supposedly translates into better audio and reduced road noise. As stated, I could not tell the difference in terms of audio but a road noise comparison would be helpful.

- T does NOT have the sunroof as the E does. Sunroof is nice for the rare occasions most seem to use it. In terms of structural strength, prevailing logic seems to dictate that the Ts non-sunroof is stronger. Also, less mechanical means less to break down the line.

- T does NOT have a sliding rear window like the E does. The Es rear window indeed has the sliding glass. However, to accommodate this configuration, Honda uses two plastic trim pieces above and below the slider which to me seems MUCH less durable and resistant to scratches than the one piece glass unit used on the T. On the other hand, for long items that wouldn't otherwise fit in the bed like boards etc, the sliding rear window could come in handy. Also, again, less mechanicals = less potential for breakdown later.

- The T uses more of a matte finish on some commonly touched plastics for both interior and exterior surfaces. The E is more glossy and polished in these locations (exterior door pillars and gear shift surround etc). IMO, anything glossy looks good initially but over time, can look very bad with scratches and prints. Matte finishes don't show these nearly as much if at all.

I'm sure there might be other differences but assuming we're talking about the same AWD systems, what are your thoughts and opinions on the above SEPAREATE from budget?

-
My 2008 RTL has been a very good vehicle since new and with only 51,000 miles on it it's like new, in some ways I hate to part with it. It has both the sunroof and sliding back window which I seldom use, but that's the trim option I wanted when buying it. My wants for a new RL were not that many, but I did want the upgraded radio with navigation (I could care less about the upgraded stereo), my first and most wanted option. Second I wanted the leather interior, third the DRL, and last the AWD. The RTL-T AWD fits the bill for what I want, I will keep this new RL for probably 6-8 years and I will be lucky if it has 50,000 miles on it at that time, just like my 2008. I do think that Honda got their models with options somewhat screwed up, I would starting with RTL models with and without sunroof and sliding back glass, plus the option to upgrade your radio/navigation system through parts, or accessories.

trainman

· Registered
243 Posts
I'm looking at the eventual purchase of a G2 RL and have narrowed the options to the RTL-T AWD and the RTL-E. The a few things the RTL-E offers that are most important to me are the LED headlights, moonroof and sliding rear window. My last three cars have had moon roofs and it's something I use often and would be lost without it. Also, the sliding rear window could come in very handy for long items like lumber/plumping supplies. Beyond that, there are several RTL-E features that are just icing on the cake.

RTL-E gives you the following over RTL-T:

- Moonroof
- Sliding Rear Window
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Truck Bed Audio
- 540 Watt Sound System
- 150-watt / 400-watt Outlet in bed
- Chrome Door Handles
- Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Courtesy Door Lights
- Interior Ambient Lighting
- Memory Seats/Mirrors
- Honda Sensing
- Blind Spot w/ rear Cross traffic Alert
- LED Headlights
- Front/Rear Parking Sensors

One thing that mystifies me is Lane Watch is only available ONE model, the RTL-T. I have it on my Accord and really do thing it's a great feature. Not sure why Honda deletes it when you get BSM, or why it's not offered on lower trims like the RTL. If I go RTL-E, I would really miss the LaneWatch feature.

· Registered
60 Posts
The E has the saved settings for each driver: seat position, mirrors, radio setting...
This is the only option I miss----the T has everything I wanted, I went with AWD, as I tow a boat.

· Registered
970 Posts
The only thing I miss on the E is the lanewatch camera - it has BS warning instead. I would have paid another grand for both (not available, of course). OTOH, I still prefer the E to the T that I test drove.

If anyone figures out how to add lanewatch - please post that here! I would think it could be done but could be complicated and expensive.

· Registered
926 Posts
If you are going to take budget out of the equation, then I will say my number one reason for NOT going with the E would be the number of complaints I've read about with Hondas front Collision mitigation system.

A lot of guys say, well just turn that feature off. I shouldn't have to.

Things I would like from the E

Sunroof and rear sliding window.
Memory seating.
Rear cross traffic.

Real features I would like that are not available,

Heated rear seats.
Cooled front seats
Blind spot mirrors that actually indicate on the mirrors.

· Registered
3,718 Posts
Trims are a joke for the Ridge. The only models that really matter are the lower end (RTS) and top end (E). The Sport and BE are just showy versions of these and the RT doesn't really count. That leaves the RTL and the T which should have been combined into 1 trim.

So is the E worth it? That's a personal decision but IMO, adding all these trims was just a way for Honda to get more money for the E. If sensing was offered on lower trims, the value of the E would be diminished because most would just go for the T and forego the bed audio. That's how I see it.

· Premium Member
23 Posts
Originally, I was planning on a RTL, but the dealer only had a RTL-T to test drive. After the test drive, we went with the T.

Some of the items we liked were the 8" screen, Navigation system and the Lanewatch camera.

We've had the sunroof and sliding rear window on other vehicles and they very rarely got used. We felt we didn't want them.

Now that it's starting to cool off here in Minnesota, I've gotten the opportunity to try out the heated seats and love them. Never had heated seats before and didn't know what I was missing. Now I wonder if I should have gotten the heated steering wheel.

The Lanewatch is a great feature. I use it daily when parking along side curbs. Has saved from scrubbing my tires and rims several times, even in the dark.

Have hauled 8' boards a few times without any problems. I haul with the boards centered in the bed with the tailgate up. Using ratchet straps front and back. I'm going to need to haul a couple 12' boards pretty soon and will see how that goes. With the tailgate up, I'll have probably half the board past the truck and fairly high on the end. But I'm only 2 miles away from the home center and I always have my red flag with.

Really love this G2. Haven't found a flaw with it and have no complaints with it. Have gotten a lot of compliments on it and am surprised as to how much I'm using the bed to haul items. Will get the chance to try out my ramps for loading a core aerator next weekend. :laugh:

· Registered
970 Posts
If you are going to take budget out of the equation, then I will say my number one reason for NOT going with the E would be the number of complaints I've read about with Hondas front Collision mitigation system.
I have to say that I have seen VERY few false alarms with this system and 95% of those consist of a transient warning message only with no braking occurring. Only about 1200 miles so far but it has never done anything remotely dangerous. FYI, I truly love the lane keeping and adaptive cruise and use them all the time even when going only 5 miles to town. Those alone would convince me to get the E instead of the T. The heated wheel is also nice - only got cold enough to appreciate it last week.

I do wish the heated seats got hotter - I prefer "heating pad hot" with my bad back but I suppose the damn lawyers are the cause of that because some moron burned themselves once and sued. This wimpiness seems to be the case with all of the newer heated seats in all brands these days. I really loved the seats in my 99 Dodge Caravan - those suckers got hot!

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Trims are a joke for the Ridge. The only models that really matter are the lower end (RTS) and top end (E). The Sport and BE are just showy versions of these and the RT doesn't really count. That leaves the RTL and the T which should have been combined into 1 trim.

So is the E worth it? That's a personal decision but IMO, adding all these trims was just a way for Honda to get more money for the E. If sensing was offered on lower trims, the value of the E would be diminished because most would just go for the T and forego the bed audio. That's how I see it.
RTL-E owner here, you're completely right. But they have us over a barrel. For some of us, it's worth the cost. If I had it to do over again I would do the exact same thing.

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Originally, I was planning on a RTL, but the dealer only had a RTL-T to test drive. After the test drive, we went with the T.

Some of the items we liked were the 8" screen, Navigation system and the Lanewatch camera.

We've had the sunroof and sliding rear window on other vehicles and they very rarely got used. We felt we didn't want them.

Now that it's starting to cool off here in Minnesota, I've gotten the opportunity to try out the heated seats and love them. Never had heated seats before and didn't know what I was missing. Now I wonder if I should have gotten the heated steering wheel.

The Lanewatch is a great feature. I use it daily when parking along side curbs. Has saved from scrubbing my tires and rims several times, even in the dark.

Have hauled 8' boards a few times without any problems. I haul with the boards centered in the bed with the tailgate up. Using ratchet straps front and back. I'm going to need to haul a couple 12' boards pretty soon and will see how that goes. With the tailgate up, I'll have probably half the board past the truck and fairly high on the end. But I'm only 2 miles away from the home center and I always have my red flag with.

Really love this G2. Haven't found a flaw with it and have no complaints with it. Have gotten a lot of compliments on it and am surprised as to how much I'm using the bed to haul items. Will get the chance to try out my ramps for loading a core aerator next weekend. :laugh:
Honda sells the heated steering wheel as an accessory for $330.

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
I have to say that I have seen VERY few false alarms with this system and 95% of those consist of a transient warning message only with no braking occurring. Only about 1200 miles so far but it has never done anything remotely dangerous. FYI, I truly love the lane keeping and adaptive cruise and use them all the time even when going only 5 miles to town. Those alone would convince me to get the E instead of the T. The heated wheel is also nice - only got cold enough to appreciate it last week.
It's pretty easy to turn all the safety features off and some of them are truly useful. Heck they've all got some value. I've never seen any kind of automatic braking from collision mitigation or any of the other features. I once came close to rear ending somebody and all I got was the shaky steering wheel and the brake message flashing. Honda's sensing features are very very conservative about automatically applying the brakes. In fact, that may be of failing of the system. In the end that's what's going to save lives. Maybe that's what's different about the Acura version of Sensing.

I do wish the heated seats got hotter - I prefer "heating pad hot" with my bad back but I suppose the damn lawyers are the cause of that because some moron burned themselves once and sued. This wimpiness seems to be the case with all of the newer heated seats in all brands these days. I really loved the seats in my 99 Dodge Caravan - those suckers got hot!
Yeah there been some lawsuits, some of which involve electric shock too, I believe. I think all auto manufacturers are at least thinking about dialing back on the heated seats. Toyota actually sent me a "recall" on my 2007 Highlander Hybrid offering to remove the heated seats. I declined. I agree the Ridgeline's heated seats are slow and not very warm. They're not terrible, though. They may seem warmer come winter.

The heated wheel is going to be my favorite feature this winter.

The only thing I miss on the E is the lanewatch camera - it has BS warning instead. I would have paid another grand for both (not available, of course). OTOH, I still prefer the E to the T that I test drove. If anyone figures out how to add lanewatch - please post that here! I would think it could be done but could be complicated and expensive.
I think the issue for Honda is that we already have dedicated cameras in the front windshield and the tailgate handle. This would require a third dedicated camera in the the right side-view mirror. I guess it's an amount of content/cost thing.

· Administrator
24,909 Posts

The six exciters used for the in-bed audio system are rated at 10 watts each for a total of 60 watts. Even assuming that's 60 watts RMS and the 225/540-watt ratings represent peak power, that leaves either 195 watts (540 - 225 - 120 = 195) unaccounted for by the truck bed audio which can be presumed to be used for the cabin speakers.

The roof of the sunroof-equipped models is likely as strong as, if not stronger than, models without sunroofs. In non-sunroof models, you have a large, relatively flat piece of sheet metal covering the cab with a few, stamped braces running from side-to-side. In sunroof-equipped models, you have a rectangular opening cut into this piece of sheet metal with edges that are stamped down, which greatly increases the rigidity of the sheet metal. You may lose a structural brace, but the folded edges around the opening for the sunroof compensate for this. Note that this is true for factory-installed sunroofs. Installing an aftermarket sunroof does weaken the roof when internal bracing is removed.

The glossy black plastic trim on the center console, dash, and doors has a soft coating. If you carefully press a fingernail against it, you'll see what I mean. It's rubbery feeling. By contrast, the glossy black plastic trim on the steering wheel is very hard and doesn't feel like the other trim. Honda may have been thinking ahead and used a "self-healing" coating to minimize scratching on these parts.

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,176 Posts
Apart from the budget, we all would be driving the "E" except for the fact Honda did not make enough of them. I would have preferred the safety and comfort features available on the "E". I think Toyota is doing a smart thing offering it on all models of their 2017 Highlander. Expect Honda to do the same on the RL as they are doing on the Civic.

One thing about those fancy "sensing" features - they won't help in the majority of accidents I have seen. A guy runs a red light and T-bones the RL. The guy behind you is texting and doesn't see you are stopping for a light, pedestrian, or whatever and hits you from behind.

So I am happy with my RTL-T because it is what I could afford. Oh sorry, that was not supposed to be used in the determining factor. That $5,000 is a lot of dough.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.