Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I removed the running boards from my '09 RTL yesterday, and my MPG (Honda on-board, ~700 mile trip computer doing daily commutes) went from 19.5 mpg to 19.6 mpg. The 19.6 mpg is being calculated using only about 90 miles, but I think it might even go to 19.7 based on what I've seen.

So running boards = ~0.1 to 0.15 mpg, what are some other mpg changes people have experienced with their accessories? I've read that a light tonneau cover can change about 1mpg, I have the oem cover which seems pretty heavy and I've had it since I bought the truck so I'm not sure how that is affecting my mileage.

Alex

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I would find it difficult to attribute a very small change in mpg to only one specific thing. Maybe it was the brand (or age) of the gas on your last fuel up, or you were bucking a headwind, etc.
The tonneau cover issue has been around a while. Most of us don't notice any difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I haven't read about it here, but Consumer Reports did testing on roof racks and found they lower mpg considerably (I believe it was in the 5-10% range). I don't think that surprised anyone but I do recall that the mpg impact was even greater with a fairing, which I didn't expect. I have a Yakima rack (including a fairing) that I've fitted to the RL but keep it stored in the garage unless it's needed, which isn't often.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Pretty much anything in the wind will drop mileage. Creating resistance.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Very true, most sidebars are tucked in. But it is hard to make predictions about airflow about any vehicle without wind tunnel testing. I don't think automakers are required to meet EPA standards with even their own accessories installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts