Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Side Steps Corroding (Sorry:STEPS, not "boards")

Originally, This post said "running boards". That is not correct, I have the gray Side Steps. Also, sorry no picture available as I need a new camera.

So much for "corrosion resistant finish". I love the gray side steps on the blue truck and hope they can fix the problem someday. I have had the steps installed for 3 months (2,500 miles) and they are now corroding. Each step has a joint at the front and the back were the diff. sections are "butted" together. This is were the corrosion is starting. Both locations on each side of the vehicle are showing signs of rust/corrosion by a very small amount of "black seepage" that runs from between the joint. The gray finish is beginning to "bubble" and become brittle in two of these locations. It is not yet an eyesore (largest bubble is 1/4 inch) but possibly on its way to becoming one in a few months.
The dealer offered to replace them, I just had him document it since I know another set would just do the same thing unless modified. The dealer also had a set installed on a truck that is for sale. These steps are showing signs of the same problem. This truck has been on their lot since March (loaded with accessories and nobody wants to pay the price).
I will not get them replaced until I learn they are re-designed or have a better/more complete finish.
It seems like they are corroding from inside the joint were there is either not a good finish or maybe it has rubbed off from friction of the pieces being pushed against eachother. For now, I may paint the damaged area or put some kind of sealant into the crack.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are these the Black Running Boards or the Grey Side Steps?

Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am starting to show signs of the same problem after less than 2000 miles. I want to wait and see how it progresses and if Honda intends to improve or replace this item.

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
Can the ends be removed? If you can remove the end-caps and the mounting brackets you may be able to sand blast the aluminum section and have them triple-pass powder-coated similar to the process used on sailboat parts which makes them impervious to road salts and sea spray. Also what material is used for the end-caps?

They may be covered under warranty! I would defiantly check that first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, they are covered by warranty. Also, I note that the Honda website does not show them as an available add-on any more. I suspect they have had some costly problems replacing/repairing others.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I thought the side-steps were effectively recalled because of problems with them... I would check with your dealer to get refunded, find out if/when other side steps would be available, or maybe get them to be replaced with the running boards.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hadn't heard that, but it makes sense. I'll contact my dealer tomorrow. Kinda wished we'd ordered the black running boards anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Any Honda accessory installed by the dealer at the time of purchase is covered by 60,000kms/3 year warranty here in Canada. I guess it is the same on your side,
good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my platinum running boards at www.phxcustoms.com and they look just like tube steps but have a better stepping area and the brackets were super easy to install. The boards are in chrome and it looks good with my billet grille and when I was the truck I just wipe them down and they clean up just like new.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My side steps are doing the exact same thing. I took it to Honda and after an hour wait they came back and offered to replace them since the same thing is happening to the side steps on the sales manager's Ridgeline.

I was told that Honda had not resolved the issue and that they recommend trading them out for the running boards.

On my particular accessory set the side steps are much more appealing and it bums me out to lose the look of the side steps. :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a can of Rustolium Fence Paint.
Galvenized finish.
Looks very close to the original collor.
If your carefull you can touch up the bad spots.
As far as I can tell from reading other posts the big problem is at the joints.
I like the look of the gray steps so I'm going to try to keep them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Problem with painting them is that they are made of aluminum and I don't know any paint which comes in a can to be durable on aluminum. it has to be baked or powder coated for it to adhere properly IMO. original side steps are powder coated and that didn't even last long:rolleyes:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wonder if you got a replacement set and before installing them, put clear silicon sealant at the joints to keep the water out? Might work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Honda now has replacements for the silver side steps that were corroding at the joints. Side steps are much like the side step on the Pilot and are offered in black, silver and chrome. My dealer says Honda has agreed to replace my side steps even though they have only minimum corrosion. They have ordered a set of replacement silver side steps and they should be installed within a week. I decided to go with the silver side steps since the silver matches the silver on my roof rack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts