Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on running boards or stepsides. What is everyones thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ditto... also, I hear there was a problem with the OEM side steps, so they might've been pulled off the shelves...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Aries side steps

I liked the lower price
I liked the easier install i.e. no special tool
I preferred a truck-look vs imho a minivan-look with sidesteps

I gave up protection on the side of the vehicle from objects that bounce up and could get blocked by a running board
I added the possibility that someone could slip a foot between the step and the vehicle that can't happen with a running board

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We got the running boards and like them a lot. I wanted the darker color and I also did not like the gap of the side step.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Aries Nerf Bars. Love the stainless steel/chrome that breaks up the Black in my ride :D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
After seeing both....I went with running boards.

They are great for the vertically challenged (like my wife and kids...) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Re: Running Boards
I haven't been able to decide whether they would be helpful as an extra step, or simply in the way when I'm getting in and stepping over them. It's not like you have to climb into the RL, it's not that tall. My local dealer hasn't had one on the lot with running boards lately, so can't try them out.

Can anyone tell me how much clearance is lost by putting on the running boards?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
farmguy said:
Re: Running Boards
I haven't been able to decide whether they would be helpful as an extra step, or simply in the way when I'm getting in and stepping over them. It's not like you have to climb into the RL, it's not that tall. My local dealer hasn't had one on the lot with running boards lately, so can't try them out.

Can anyone tell me how much clearance is lost by putting on the running boards?
Last time I heard the steps were being recalled because of rust on weld joints. I have the black running board, and I really like it a lot. I'm 5' 6'' and I use it to climb in. My wife is 5' and she also uses it. The best part is it also acts as a splash guard for the length of the cab. As far as I can tell there is no lost clearance.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have to agree with SixOpRidge, the Aries polished stainless-steel nerf bars with black foot inserts look amazing on the black Ridge. Add to that the chrome front/rear bumper trim package and lookout!

All this of course in preparation for my chromed 20's next summer!

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
ukridge said:
I am trying to decide on running boards or stepsides. What is everyones thoughts? :confused:
I like the the side steps better than the running boards. They look better on my truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
I agree with several of the earlier posts -- I like the Aries Nerf bars -- I've got black on my red RL, and I think they look pretty good. They certainly make the RL seem a bit more "truck-like."

L

·
0 Posts
I originally asked for the steps for the same reason TBK did...then I saw them when they came in and was unimpressed and worried about the finish coming off and slipping on them when covered in snow..WHICH BTW..TBK doesn't have!! :D ( snow that is )
I got the boards!! I love them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have the Aries Nerf Bars and Grill Guard, in black, on my Red Ridgeline. There are some warranty issues involved that I am still trying to resolve that are based in the manufacture of the bars.

Be forwarned, Aries has not stepped up as of yet, to replace these manufacturing defects!!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
rms56 -- what are the warranty issues? should I be worried about my Aries nerf bars? something I haven't noticed, maybe?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nerf Bars are OK........for now The Grill Guard has been installed by two different companies...neither has been able to level the grill with the fit kits provided. The last one pointed out a 1/4" to 3/8" variation in the top bar from passengers side to drivers (high).

Aries and the retailer say this is OK?!?!?!?!?!?! The installers tell me the bar is wrong.

Last I heard from them they were not going to replace this factory defect.

So I now ask myself do they just disregard the warranty when it suits them?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts