Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of adding DIY running boards to my RL but after looking around I don't see as many running boards on RLs compared to other midsize trucks (Canyon. Colorado, etc..). A buddy suggested that's because RLs aren't as high off the ground as other midsize trucks so they may not be needed and also not look as good. Thoughts from anyone out there who has added them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the Honda cast aluminum running boards. They have nice lines that compliment the truck styling.

The primary reason I want them is as an assist for entry and exit for my grandchildren. I usually step over them, but my wife uses them as well with her shorter legs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have been planning on getting the metal Honda ones with the embossed “Ridgeline” stamped in them. I was having the same thought as I was sitting at a red light next to an XLT ranger. I think another part of it is the RL has a more finished look along the bottom whereas on the ranger I could see where the metal was creased and tack welded and it looked really cheap to me. Of course the RL has that plastic piece that sort of wraps under a bit further so you don’t see any of that. I mainly want the running boards to keep people from squashing my seats down on the edges when the slide in and out of the truck. Some people are so lazy they just slither out. I always make a point to put my left hand on the door sill and roll off of my arm so as not to squish my seat corner like a fatass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having the black running boards added to 2018 RTL-T for the wife to enter better. Being installed this week and will report back on how they look and maybe a photo. The bottom of the cab is black, so will blend in. New to us with only 3,400 miles used sale.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having the black running boards added to 2018 RTL-T for the wife to enter better. Being installed this week and will report back on how they look and maybe a photo. The bottom of the cab is black, so will blend in. New to us with only 3,400 miles used sale.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
Thanks. I'd love to see a pic when done. I'm 6'-4" so I never needed running boards on my F150. yet alone the RL since its lower to the ground. Was considering adding just for looks which is why I'd go with an after market brand running board - cheaper. My concern is the look on this truck with factory wheels/tires thereby being lower than most.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I have the Honda accessory lighted running boards since 2018 on my RTL-E. They're sturdy, and have held up well (and I like their lighting feature). However, two things to keep in mind....

1) For most adults, the Ridgeline is low enough where you don't need running boards to get in/out. I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5'6", and we generally step out around them. However, as @Griz notes, you can get the back of your pants dirty as they brush against the boards. Below are some photos of the front step in-out (my shoes pictured are men's 8.5). For a while I tried to step out onto them (to keep from wrinkling by bottom seat cushion edge more), that that's more bother than it's worth.

2) If you live in snow/sand/salt country, the front wheels will throw slush up underneath them which freezes into big ice "chunkers". So I ended up putting large mud flaps * over my splash guards to prevent that. The photo below shows that (when I wrapped my chrome trim, I also wrapped the board's chrome piece in matte black).

If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't get them (it's just my wife and I using the Ridgeline). But I could see where they'd actually be used with children, shorter adults, or someone who needs extra help getting in/out.

* EDIT - here's my mud flap install thread (it was cheap, but a LOT of work to fit them up) Adding mud flaps to OEM Splash Guard accessory (with pics)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I figured this might be a good thread to post this in:
I'm thinking of buying running boards to make it easier for my dogs to get in the back, as well as for me because I'm all of 5'4" with super short legs. I saw some pictures of this Ridgeline for sale and I quite like the looks of these running boards. I'm wondering if someone can help identify them, as the website doesn't list the manufacturer. Thanks!
Screenshot_20200101-145615_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200101-145641_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200101-145631_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200101-145653_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm thinking of buying running boards to make it easier for my dogs to get in the back, as well as for me because I'm all of 5'4" with super short legs. I saw some pictures of this Ridgeline for sale and I quite like the looks of these running boards. I'm wondering if someone can help identify them, as the website doesn't list the manufacturer. Thanks! View attachment 398604 View attachment 398605 View attachment 398606 View attachment 398607 View attachment 398604 View attachment 398605 View attachment 398606 View attachment 398607
Looks nice! I believe these are the Aries running boards

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks. I'd love to see a pic when done. I'm 6'-4" so I never needed running boards on my F150. yet alone the RL since its lower to the ground. Was considering adding just for looks which is why I'd go with an after market brand running board - cheaper. My concern is the look on this truck with factory wheels/tires thereby being lower than most.
6’5” here and I tried the factory aluminum ones - the ones with the “texture”.

I found that using them was awkward for my leg length. Stepping over them was a bit awkward too as my planted foot outside the truck is now 3-4 inches farther away from the truck due to the running board width.

My 5’5” wife found no benefit and said they felt “clunky”.

My 5’3” mother found them not wide enough to give her a stable step nor “deep” enough - the space between the bottom of the e truck and the top deck of the running board.

Ultimately I decided the truck is plenty low for me and my passengers.

Liked they way they looked though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I put them on our G1 and other than the looks, I find them getting in the way as I have to step over them. My wife is 5”7’ and uses them. But, as others have said, they look great.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm thinking of buying running boards to make it easier for my dogs to get in the back, as well as for me because I'm all of 5'4" with super short legs. I saw some pictures of this Ridgeline for sale and I quite like the looks of these running boards. I'm wondering if someone can help identify them, as the website doesn't list the manufacturer. Thanks! View attachment 398604 View attachment 398605 View attachment 398606 View attachment 398607 View attachment 398604 View attachment 398605 View attachment 398606 View attachment 398607

·
Registered
271 Posts
(Heavily loaded with sarcasm)

“I think I would need to see more photos”

Seriously, great photos to assist in identifying make. A lot better than one blurry photo attached to a “what’s this?”, post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed the Ionic black billet running boards on my poor man’s Black Edition tonight (Black on Black Sport).
I added these purely for the look as they’re pretty slim at just 4.5” width. I thought the lower profile would suit the truck. They’re there but dont really stand out especially cause they’re all black.
Installation instructions left a bit of details out. And unlike the Chevy in their install video, all the brackets have a specific spot on the RL, and I found it easier to install the brackets on the boards, then install the assembled boards on the truck rather than installing the brackets then the boards. It looks about as I hoped. For $170 from Amazon I don’t think you can beat it. Have a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I got the oem lighted boards. I don't use them, but my 5'2" wife does. The lights are handy for walking around in a dark garage or spotting puddles in the parking lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just installed the Ionic black billet running boards on my poor man’s Black Edition tonight (Black on Black Sport).
I added these purely for the look as they’re pretty slim at just 4.5” width. I thought the lower profile would suit the truck. They’re there but dont really stand out especially cause they’re all black.
Installation instructions left a bit of details out. And unlike the Chevy in their install video, all the brackets have a specific spot on the RL, and I found it easier to install the brackets on the boards, then install the assembled boards on the truck rather than installing the brackets then the boards. It looks about as I hoped. For $170 from Amazon I don’t think you can beat it. Have a look.
Looks good! Does the boards run from wheel to wheel? It's kinda hard to tell from the picture.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
They run almost the length of the truck from wheel well to wheel well but just a bit shorter. They’re adjustable forwards and back to an extent. I eyeballed the molding at the bottom of the front door seems and kinda aligned them there. They run to within maybe 3-4” on the rear wheel well? I tried positioning em a bit further towards the front but that left a much larger gap at the rear and didn’t look right. Nice thing is loosen 8 13mm nuts and u can slide it fwd or back to suit your own tastes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts