Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking the truck after having it cleaned and found Rust spots on the inside edge of the rear passenger door has any other member seen this it is on the seam about half way up the door edge. The truck has only been on the road from May.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OO man rust on a new vehicle! i bought a new truck so i didnt have to deal with rust as i work on rusted mucle cars and trucks all the time! Is the metal bare on the seam?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey Big Block Dodge,

What's the skinny on those custom fog lights? Could you tell me the brand, where you got them, etc?

·
Registered
16 Posts
When installing the OEM rear window visor ..removed rubber around window and noticed lite rust around seam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2006 Ridgeline inside Door rust LOOK, Read Imp..

Anyone else found rust inside doors I need help. I have had rust inside of all four doors in and around the door seal. Honda Will NOT fix this. They blame me for living near the coast. I nee deveryone to look inside the doors and lift the door seal you will see rust PLEASE let me know

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Re: 2006 Ridgeline inside Door rust LOOK, Read Imp..

Anyone else found rust inside doors I need help. I have had rust inside of all four doors in and around the door seal. Honda Will NOT fix this. They blame me for living near the coast. I nee deveryone to look inside the doors and lift the door seal you will see rust PLEASE let me know
that goes against there warranty, i would fight that and if you have to threaten to take legal action

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts

Yeppers, I did. Removed it by surface sanding and touching it up with primer then paint. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This gets me a little worried, because I've noticed rust all around the truck when cleaning. Since I got it new in April, I have been noticing a little here, a little there nothing huge and nothing to worry about. The latest place I noticed while cleaning is under the seat on the cross bars. What is rust doing on the inside? I also live near the coast, like 7 blocks to the beach and don't park it in a garage, but come on, this is unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Honda does not want to leave this issue without a satisfactory resolution. Just ask Hyundai about the expense of leaving a rust issue unattended.
Or Toyota on their Tacoma frames.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Rust IS the new brown.

·
Registered
45 Posts
might have to change the name of the truck to the rustline. Has anyone contacted honda and got a answer from them why there trucks that have only been out for a few years are rusting as bad as they are?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,428 Posts
might have to change the name of the truck to the rustline.
Ha ha ha ha, I LUV that name.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok just called america honda and expressed my concerns on the rust on the ridgelines. The customer care person said that he has worked at a honda dealer for two years before working at the call center and he has never had a complaint from anyone on the ridgelines rusting. If he is telling the truth maybe everyone having a rust issue should be calling them. He distanced himself from the manufacturing plants on how the metal is prepped and painted when I asked him what there procedures are.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ok just called america honda and expressed my concerns on the rust on the ridgelines. The customer care person said that he has worked at a honda dealer for two years before working at the call center and he has never had a complaint from anyone on the ridgelines rusting. If he is telling the truth maybe everyone having a rust issue should be calling them. He distanced himself from the manufacturing plants on how the metal is prepped and painted when I asked him what there procedures are.
The painting proess from a retiree. The body goes through tanks to frist clean it. Then through about 7 tanks to treat and coat the body,the last one being the e-coat tank.After that the body goes in to a oven, to bake it at over 500.Out of the oven to the sanding booth,to sand out dirt,runs and any defects.Then the body goes to the sealer line where sealer is put into all the seams.From there the body goes to inspection, where they check the sealer,e-coat,and body out and repair as need.They then wipe down and clean.Then the body gets slof-chip added to the main area that will get all the chips.From there it gets primer added.Then to the oven again.After the oven it goes to the sanding booth to sand out dirt, runs and any :eek:ther defects.Then to a storage area, so when the bodys go through the top-coat booth, they can be spaced out.After the top-coat booth they to the oven again.Then to clear-coat,back to the oven.After the oven it goes to top-coat inspection,where they check the paint,and fix anything wrong with it.This is not all that goes into the painting of the body,but gives you a general I deal.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I also found rust on the rear driver side passenger door. I asked the guy at the dealer about their warranty on rust and he told me is has to be rusted all the way through the metal to be covered under warranty. I'm not to happy about it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes, I also found rust on the rear driver side passenger door. I asked the guy at the dealer about their warranty on rust and he told me is has to be rusted all the way through the metal to be covered under warranty. I'm not to happy about it.
That's not true. I just had the same issue and it was covered by Honda. The paint has a 3 yr warranty (thats what I was told) and for it to be covered by Honda that rust had to have started under the paint. Keep fighting it or take it to another dealer, they should fix it under warranty. It will all boil down to whether or not the Honda rep will give the dealership the ok or not. Take pictures of it and have the dealer take pictures and send them to the rep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shortly after buying my RL I spoke to another RL owner who advised me to keep an eye on the weld seems inside the door jambs and on the ends of the doors themselves. Seems he had an issue with rust in those spots that Honda admitted was due to a manufacturing defect. I can't recall what he specifically said the issue was, but long story short is Honda got him four new doors. This was on an out of warranty vehicle, also.
I'd keep the heat on Honda until you get acceptable resolution.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I have a terrible rust problem on the rear drivers side door and the beginnings of rust on the other 3 doors. I am also trying to work with Honda about the situation and so far am not getting anywhere. All they have offered is to replace the door but I must pay half the cost. I am NOT happy with Honda. I researched this vehicle for 2 1/2 years before purchasing my Honda. Consumers Report gave it a great rating. I am curious to see how they rate it now. Just today I took my truck to a body shop and she found the beginnings of rust on the other 3 doors. This is outrageous!!!! All the rust started on the seams. How many others have this problem. I am going to persue this issue as high as I can to get some satisfaction from Honda.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts