Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My truck has now reached 170,000km and I recently started to notice rust on my driver side rear rocker panel and around my rear driver side fender. I also noticed today that the seal (circled in red) was hanging and I glued it back in place temporary. The location where it was hanging is where the rust is starting on the fender. My three questions are as follows:

1. What is the best way to fix the rust on the rocker panel and fender? I want to avoid going to a body shop and painting the entire panel.

2. How do I make sure this rust does not come back in the future. I was thinking about fixing it and possibly adding the Honda OEM fender flares to cover it up

3. Should I be concerned about the seal hanging and coming apart? If so, what is a good way to fix it?

Regards,
Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
You wont know how bad the rust is fully until you get down to bare metal. Unless you live in a place where they dont salt the road rust is inevitable. Well unless you car wash almost daily. But fixing is not a problem if you dont mind paint not matching. White is the worst paint to match since it does yellow. Just go down to bare metal. Then sand that rust off if its surface. If its worst you might have to cut off the cancer spot and weld a new steel. Use body filler to even the spot. Primer then fine sanding to even the surface. I normally go heavy with primer and i wet sand with 2000 or 3000 grit to even the surrounding paint. Then sand some the clear coat surrounding your area so u can paint over it. And its just clear coat. Depends where you do it. Sometimes u have to fully dry it for few days weather dependent to wet sand imperfections.
With that being said if your inner body is rusted. The rust will most likey come back on the surface.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You wont know how bad the rust is fully until you get down to bare metal. Unless you live in a place where they dont salt the road rust is inevitable. Well unless you car wash almost daily. But fixing is not a problem if you dont mind paint not matching. White is the worst paint to match since it does yellow. Just go down to bare metal. Then sand that rust off if its surface. If its worst you might have to cut off the cancer spot and weld a new steel. Use body filler to even the spot. Primer then fine sanding to even the surface. I normally go heavy with primer and i wet sand with 2000 or 3000 grit to even the surrounding paint. Then sand some the clear coat surrounding your area so u can paint over it. And its just clear coat. Depends where you do it. Sometimes u have to fully dry it for few days weather dependent to wet sand imperfections.
With that being said if your inner body is rusted. The rust will most likey come back on the surface.
Good Luck.
I redid it myself but there is a lot of rust and I reprimed and rocker panel paint guard.

I know there is still rust. I will check to buy new kit of rocker panel and reweld a new set

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I have an 06 Ridge with 271K plus miles. Have rust in the same places in addition to rust chips falling from behind the plastic bumper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts