Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's get a rust pictures thread going.

I drove my RTS about 2200 miles since I bought it, and these are the rusted parts so far. Does anybody know if these are supposed to rust this early?

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
It all looks normal to me, nothing to be concerned about. Steel rust, it's a fact of life. :)

Reactions: Mr. Black

·
Registered
928 Posts
Totally normal on bare steel. Doesn't mean it's going to turn to dust in a few miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2200 miles thats looking pretty rusty... doesnt honda have a rust warranty for the first 10k miles? Yeah the part wont turn to dust, but in another 100k dont be surprised if the rust wore away at the metal enough to hit a hard pothole and snap something out of warranty. Cant hurt to have honda at least look at it

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've spent a lot of time under cars of many makes and models over the last 30 years.

It's completely normal.

Reactions: Goreds2 and Mac1520

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
I would recommend Fluid Film. It comes in a spray can at Lowe's and most Auto Parts stores. I've sprayed mine in the area by the tire that you mention.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Similar parts on Gen 1 weren't painted either and rusted just as you are experiencing. I asked Gary Flint about it at the 2008 meet. The cut-away Gen 1 had the few unpainted parts. Those are hardened metal pieces and the rust patina that develops will serve it just as well as paint.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You can climb under a brand new 70k dollar one ton truck that's been driven in the rain a few time and the sea of reddish orange hues would really blow your mind with all the rust covered bare steel.

oarnold has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Three quick late model pics. Chevy Ford Dodge.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Fluid Film - I have the inexpensive spray gun that hooks up to a compressor - fill the bottle, dial in 60 - 90 psi (whatever seems to work best), crawl under (or drive on ramps) and spray away! Coat everything. Fluid Film is lanolin based and environmentally friendly it does, however, have a unique smell (which does wear off over time) - it's not a bad smell, just a fairly powerful smell for a short while! Recoat once a year and DON'T get the bottom blasts at the touch-less car washes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow. That's totally unacceptable. I wonder if it's a legacy of US-based manufacturing? In all the German and British vehicles I own/have owned, all of the undercarriage components are ALWAYS painted.

I'll paint them on my RL when it arrives.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is cost savings, plus as others have said, a large cast part is not going to turn to dust. When I worked for a paint company, we visited Ford and they were stopping paint on non-cosmetic underbody parts to shave some dollars off every vehicle.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
yeah, While installing my bull bar, I noticed my hubs are rusted in the front. bummer. All the shiny new parts and then, RUST.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Wow. That's totally unacceptable. I wonder if it's a legacy of US-based manufacturing? In all the German and British vehicles I own/have owned, all of the undercarriage components are ALWAYS painted.

I'll paint them on my RL when it arrives.
Since my previous post seems to have been overlooked, I'll repeat myself.

Some steel formulations (and I don't know what particular steel alloys these Honda parts are) are created not to be painted. I don't think these are corten steel parts, but if you research corten, you'll learn that the rust patina that develops actually strengthens the steel.

From the all-knowing Wikipedia: "The corrosion-retarding effect of the protective layer is produced by the particular distribution and concentration of alloying elements in it. The layer protecting the surface develops and regenerates continuously when subjected to the influence of the weather. In other words, the steel is allowed to rust in order to form the protective coating.[3]"

Again, I asked Gary Flint, the lead engineer on the G1 Ridgeline at the 2008 meet. The multi-thousand dollar cutaway RL had the same rusty parts. He said they were supposed to be that way.

Does it really make any sense that Honda would spend time, energy and money painting all the other parts under the truck, but not paint those?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts