Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Some steel formulations (and I don't know what particular steel alloys these Honda parts are) are created not to be painted. I don't think these are corten steel parts, but if you research corten, you'll learn that the rust patina that develops actually strengthens the steel.

From the all-knowing Wikipedia: "The corrosion-retarding effect of the protective layer is produced by the particular distribution and concentration of alloying elements in it. The layer protecting the surface develops and regenerates continuously when subjected to the influence of the weather. In other words, the steel is allowed to rust in order to form the protective coating.[3]"
I guess they are saying....rust never sleeps?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
first few days I had mine...I went and...

/ Krown rust protection the undercarriage and frame/panels.

Then went for a trip but specifically chose GRAVEL/DUST ridden...( no need to travel too fast kicking up rocks...just enough to kick up the DUST !! >:) )

A friend advised me on this ...I'm no scientist but it make sense. :|

While the sprayed is still moist...baking in the DUST/light dirt actually protect things...etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Some steel formulations (and I don't know what particular steel alloys these Honda parts are) are created not to be painted. I don't think these are corten steel parts, but if you research corten, you'll learn that the rust patina that develops actually strengthens the steel.

From the all-knowing Wikipedia: "The corrosion-retarding effect of the protective layer is produced by the particular distribution and concentration of alloying elements in it. The layer protecting the surface develops and regenerates continuously when subjected to the influence of the weather. In other words, the steel is allowed to rust in order to form the protective coating.[3]"
I read your post, and understand what your have referenced, but I still call it BS. There are ways to create beneficial oxide coatings, it's just that "rust" is not one of them.

I'll see what my RL looks like when I get it home, then decide if I should paint, or wait until it rusts and use rust-converter.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
I used Fluid film myself on the underside of it. It is a application that denies the metal from rusting by preventing oxygen from passing through the coating. But, it is a application that must be applied yearly in the fall to protect it all. Here's a link to the company. I bought their applicator kit and gallons.

Steve

FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,193 Posts
I read your post, and understand what your have referenced, but I still call it BS. There are ways to create beneficial oxide coatings, it's just that "rust" is not one of them.

I'll see what my RL looks like when I get it home, then decide if I should paint, or wait until it rusts and use rust-converter.
Ever heard of cast iron pipe? Been around forever and it pretty much lasts forever. What's it used for? Lots of stuff but in plumbing its used for waste water disposal. Its outer and inner surfaces form a protective layer of rust.

It's not BS, there are plenty of metals that form a rust layer on the surface that acts a a protective layer. Coating these types of metals on your vehicle isn't going to do much other than make you feel better. That said, there are probably a few parts that might benefit from some additional corrosion protection and if you happen to hit those then all the better. Have fun!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Wow. That's totally unacceptable. I wonder if it's a legacy of US-based manufacturing? In all the German and British vehicles I own/have owned, all of the undercarriage components are ALWAYS painted.

I'll paint them on my RL when it arrives.
Have fun wasting your time.

It will look nice though.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Let's get a rust pictures thread going.

I drove my RTS about 2200 miles since I bought it, and these are the rusted parts so far. Does anybody know if these are supposed to rust this early?

These suspension components are all painted on my G1 Ridgeline, G1 Pilot, and G2 CRV.

-

·
Registered
2017 Touring
6 Posts
I am thinking of swapping my 2008 Ridgeline for a 2017 Ridgeline Touring. Would it make sense to ask the dealer to undercoat? Would this prevent this, or am I wasting my money on the undercoating?

·
Registered
2021 Black Edition in White
562 Posts
Ever heard of Core 10 steel ? Used to make rusty bridges. Was developed by USS in our neck of the woods and used rust to protect the steel from rusting.

Simple but effective (unless salt and calcium chloride is spread onto it and then it disintegrates)

Steve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel
Exactly, the US Steel Building still standing, rust and and all. It was designed to look that way just as you stated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Exactly, the US Steel Building still standing, rust and and all. It was designed to look that way just as you stated.
Sitting in that building right now. Ha

Reactions: brentjs121

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
I'm just up the street at 1st Ave. No rusty buildings here lol.

As for rustproofing, I did mine with Fluid Film. Bought their applicator and used my buddies shop in Coraopolis with a lift to apply it. Man it did stink up the shop though and we had to put a big fan near it to blow the stink outside last fall! But no RUST showing yet ! Not even the spindles ! http://www.fluid-film.com/

Steve

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm just up the street at 1st Ave. No rusty buildings here lol.

As for rustproofing, I did mine with Fluid Film. Bought their applicator and used my buddies shop in Coraopolis with a lift to apply it. Man it did stink up the shop though and we had to put a big fan near it to blow the stink outside last fall! But no RUST showing yet ! Not even the spindles ! FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication

Steve
Hey, do me a favor....send me a bottle of that rust protector and a corned beef from Primanti's, LOL

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah, Hard 8 is pretty good, it's right around the corner from where I work. Fall is a good time for Dallas...most of the heat should be gone by then.

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Registered
935 Posts
I used Loctite Extend Rust Treatment on mine over a year ago. Just pore small amount into a solo cup and brush on with a small acid brush. I did one coat, instructions say best results with 2 coats. Turns black after drying. Pictures taken today while changing oil.

Reactions: DPC and Farther
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.