Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has been discussed in a different thread but I didn't find anything searching. Wondering what most owners who live in snowy climates plan to do for rustproofing with their new RL's? I have always purchased pre-owned and they usually have already started to rust so a brand new RL is a treat and I want to make sure I protect it properly.

· Registered
488 Posts
Based on my experience with my current vehicle, '88 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 392,000 miles, the primary area to focus on for rust prevention is under the trim on the wheel wells. If easily removing wheel trim is possible on the RTL-E I will do it every 6 months and clean/wax the area before reattaching trim. Hope to make it another 28 years with the same vehicle, but I suspect the advanced technology (e.g., cup holder, etc...) on the RTL-E vs my very dependable 4Runner makes that an unrealistic expectation.

· Premium Member
202 Posts
I bought some fluid film and sprayed the underneath of the vehicle and some spots where I could insert the wand. I did not drill any holes myself.

I used a Wagner power sprayer to apply underneath the vehicle (the power sprayer worked great) and also bought 2 cans with a spray wand for other areas.

· Registered
75 Posts
I am in Canada too, my last car I did the rust proofing with Rust Check, they needed to drill holes in your car and sprayed the rust proofing mist inside of all the panels. It was EXTREMELY messy, because the excess chemical (oil based) will drip on your driveway for the following few days, very annoying. But I heard that this method is the most effective, there are dripless formula you may want to try. Either way is better than not doing anything if you decide to keep your truck for more than 10 years. These guys want you to go back for reapplication EVERY YEAR but for me I only did ONCE and when I sold my car 8 years later, there were minimal rust (at least the buyer didn't see anything obvious), I think that worked. Compared to another car I had before (Honda Prelude) without rust proofing, rust started on the wheel well badly after only 6-7 years. For my new RL, I am on lease... of course I am not doing it.

· Registered
231 Posts
I bought some fluid film and sprayed the underneath of the vehicle and some spots where I could insert the wand. I did not drill any holes myself.

I used a Wagner power sprayer to apply underneath the vehicle (the power sprayer worked great) and also bought 2 cans with a spray wand for other areas.
I did the same thing, no rust has shown up except on the aftermarket running boards. Stay away from them. That is on a 08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited which used to be terrible for rust. In winter I go to a car wash that has a undercarriage spray at least weekly to get rid of the salt residue. Living in Minnesota and Wisconsin all my life, I firmly believe that undercoating etc is a complete rip off on today's vehicles.

· Registered
20 Posts
I am in Canada too, my last car I did the rust proofing with Rust Check, they needed to drill holes in your car and sprayed the rust proofing mist inside of all the panels. It was EXTREMELY messy, because the excess chemical (oil based) will drip on your driveway for the following few days, very annoying. But I heard that this method is the most effective, there are dripless formula you may want to try. Either way is better than not doing anything if you decide to keep your truck for more than 10 years. These guys want you to go back for reapplication EVERY YEAR but for me I only did ONCE and when I sold my car 8 years later, there were minimal rust (at least the buyer didn't see anything obvious), I think that worked. Compared to another car I had before (Honda Prelude) without rust proofing, rust started on the wheel well badly after only 6-7 years. For my new RL, I am on lease... of course I am not doing it.[/QUOTE)

I to will vouch for Rust Check. Did my 87 F150 every second year until I sold it in 2006. Hear is a picture of my truck when I sold it. Don't worry about the dripping on your driveway after the rust check application, the oil stains disappear in a few weeks.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
3,070 Posts
I've used Ziebart on cars in previous decades of car ownership. But, you never keep a car forever in most cases. So a Lifetime warranty from Ziebart or anyone is pointless. Actually, finding a product that works to keep rust at bay is a much better idea and that's what Fluid film does. I used it on my new RL last fall and so far so good. I bought the applicator gun they sell (probably could have just used my Wagner like someone else mentioned doing) but I figured I'd get the gun so I can use it every year. It works pretty well actually. I bought the gallon kit they sell with a bunch of application wands etc... It went on well and leaves a waxy kinda surface coating. I do use Fluid film on my trailer previously and it stops it from rusting. It's interesting to watch it over time as the rust basically stops and looks like a protected surface. You do have to reapply once in a while and I do on the trailer axle. It seems to work.

Here's a link to Fluid Film's website. That's where I got my stuff from to do mine. I'm planning on keeping this truck forever. Maybe it'll last 30 years !lol

Steve
Automotive | Fluid Film

· Registered
19 Posts
I just moved to the Baltimore-DC area, and am looking for someone who can apply Fluid Film to my G2. I had it done last year when I lived in OH, and want to continue doing so annually. I don't have the equipment or space to be able to get under my Ridge in order to DIY. Any names/phone#/websites of businesses in the MD, DC, NOVA or southern PA area that do Fluid Film applications would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
2,247 Posts
Rust is an issue with anyone who keeps a vehicle for 10+ years. If you don't then nope you don't need anything to protect it. Someone else will inherit it.

Steve
IMO a lot depends on location. It's never been an issue for me living in central TX with 10++ YO vehicles, just keeping the dirt and leaves from accumulating in the rockers, etc..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.