Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did do some searching before posting this. Of course, if there is a thread on point, pls direct me to that. I have seen a couple threads on exterior rust, and the very long thread regarding potential water-in-the-cab issues. We had a heck of a storm last night, but I did not notice any moisture anywhere (not behind the glove box, front-seat leg area (even under the mats), under the front seats nor in the rear. But I as I went to install an inverter, yikes, I found a great deal of rust under the front passenger and front seats. I have 2007 RTX with only 29k miles. This just seemed odd to me to see so much rust. Pictures are below. I'd welcome any comments, including whether I should not be worried about this. Thank you,

4-picture limit, else I'd post more. Thank you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have noticed this too
but it doent seem to be a big problem

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,146 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, 2008 huh. I checked my 2002 Santa Fe for comparison, only a very small amount. Note how extensive this is. The reason that I'm a little concerned has to do with my kids' tire swing. I used a galvanized 3/8" eye bolt, drilled through a 4x4 piece of redwood. I sheared after about 3 months. Mind you, this had a load rating over 800 lbs. I thought that I tightened the nut too much (using a 1/2" impact wrench). So I reinstalled a new one. It only lasted a few months too. Sheared again! This time I looked closer. That rascal had rust all the way through. Because I couterbored the whole, I think water got in and just ate it away.

Here, these seat portions that are rusting are key strucutral elements. I do not want them to fatigue over time. (Incidentally, my latest tire-swing solution is a 1/2" galvanized eyebolt, completely caulked over as well).

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
I check the floor occasionally to see if there are any leaks. None found yet. No explanation for the rust under the seat. Seems to be a Honda thing since my Canadian built RL and my Alabama build Pilot both show the same.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Unprotected steel that should have been either galvanized, plated or painted. Honda really scores low when it comes to details like this as there really is no excuse.:(

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
Agreed. It's attention to detail that really counts. IMO Honda normally does well in this area. But Honda dopped the ball here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll probably wait for an oil-change time, and ask the dealer to have a look and at least note something in my file so that if things get really bad then I might have an argument for addressing. Seems as though you might be able to remove the seat, get to the metal, and handle. I'm not sure about removing the front seats though, and don't want to jeopardize any warranty voiding.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hey Rookie.

I checked under my seats after you mentioned it to me last night, I too have SOME rust under there. However it doesn't appear to be as pronounced.

Feel free to take a look at it this weekend or if you catch me outside anytime of course. I'd like to take a look at your rust too for comparison.

Maybe what I should be doing is helping you clear out that garage!!!:)

Your neighbor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.