Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I ordered a set of side rails for the Ridgeline. I started the installation and much to my frustration every bolt hole is rusted. when try to thread one of the bolts for the mounting hardware, the head snapped off.

What do I do about the rust?

What do I do about the remain bit of the bolt stuck in the bolt hole?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Run a tap through the rusty holes to clean the threads before installing bolts.You need to drill out the broken bolts spray well with a loosening spray before you try to remove broken bolts.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can pick this up at Autozone to remove the remaining headless bolt, hopefully the area you are working in will allow a drill, otherwise you may need to find a 90 degree close quarters drill or find another option.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...tor/great-neck-bolt-extractor-set/231204_0_0/

I have this and it's a good set that I've used twice already, so it has paid for itself when you consider most machine shops charge 30-40 bucks to extract a bolt.

As far as your rusty hole, like AEAPP suggested, get a tap. If you live near a Harbor Freight, they are cheap and I don't mind buying this tool cheap cause you will rarely ever use it (now if you do this for a living, then don't buy this set).

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-piece-metric-carbon-steel-tap-and-die-set-39384.html

Make sure you get the metric set listed, as the SAE will appear the same. Or Spring another 25 bucks and get the Metric/Sae set.

There is not a whole lot of ways to do this on the cheap without possibly running into other issues.

Before you go out and buy these tools, if you are the type that would never again use this stuff, then call a local machine shop and ask them how much they charge to extract a bolt and chase the threads, then decide from there.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
PB Blaster is the best rust pennatrant I have ever used.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can pick this up at Autozone to remove the remaining headless bolt, hopefully the area you are working in will allow a drill, otherwise you may need to find a 90 degree close quarters drill or find another option.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...tor/great-neck-bolt-extractor-set/231204_0_0/

I have this and it's a good set that I've used twice already, so it has paid for itself when you consider most machine shops charge 30-40 bucks to extract a bolt.

As far as your rusty hole, like AEAPP suggested, get a tap. If you live near a Harbor Freight, they are cheap and I don't mind buying this tool cheap cause you will rarely ever use it (now if you do this for a living, then don't buy this set).

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-piece-metric-carbon-steel-tap-and-die-set-39384.html

Make sure you get the metric set listed, as the SAE will appear the same. Or Spring another 25 bucks and get the Metric/Sae set.

There is not a whole lot of ways to do this on the cheap without possibly running into other issues.

Before you go out and buy these tools, if you are the type that would never again use this stuff, then call a local machine shop and ask them how much they charge to extract a bolt and chase the threads, then decide from there.

Good Luck
I used the set from HF when I installed my running boards. Struggled with the rusty threads for a good hour w/o getting one bolt in. But this set and cleaned all the threads, running boards installed in no time after that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your help. I ended up getting the kit from HF. Thankfully, I was able to get all the holes tapped and was able to get the boards mounted.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Run a tap through the rusty holes to clean the threads before installing bolts.You need to drill out the broken bolts spray well with a loosening spray before you try to remove broken bolts.
Anyone know the size of the thread/tap off hand ? Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello, can you please specify what size tap did you use and or what is actual size bolt, I just bought a use OEM ridge line step bar no hardware included , I also need to tap all bolt holes as it is all rusted, please let me know, thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
glad i found this page been having the same problem with my truck and also the plastic cap thingys that were in the holes previously broke off and got stuck in so deep i couldnt get it and i got a few broken bolts too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts