Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per my last post, a few weeks ago during the crazy snows, ice and such collected under my truck, and, assuming the other posts on this subject are correct, packed in around the heat shield. This caused the truck to make he aforementioned thumping noise. I'm assuming a lot of this becuase I never crawled under it near the middle before it all thawed out, BUT when I did crawl under, I can see scrape marks (and associated rust) where the paint used to be on the drive shaft ONLY DIRECTLY NEAR the heat shield. It seems so obvious that that's what happened. I crawl under this thing regularly and have always seen beautiful, undamaged black paint, so I'm pretty sure this is what has happened. When I took it back to the dealer (I have an 8-year warranty, and it's an '07) for the third time for this, they said it won't hurt anything and that it won't decrease the life of the shaft. They offered to sand and paint it but said that doing so might ruin the balance, and the paint wouldn't be baked on like that originally from the factory. They also said it was not something the warranty would actually cover, but that they would be nice about it to shut me up. I pointed out that it seems a pretty significant design flaw, and I think design flaws should be covered. :act029: It occurred to me that if they did paint it, the same thing could happen next winter, and the next, over and over. Like, what, am I going to convince them to sand and repaint it every spring? I finally decided to just forget about it.

My question is, do you guys think I should worry about the now rusty drive shaft, and its service life being reduced, even if it will certainly last to the 8-year mark? Will it just get a surface layer of rust and then just stop and be okay forever? I like to keep my stuff essentially forever. Like if it's engineered to last 10 years, I like to find crazy ways to make it last for 20. My only alternative is to always sand and repaint it every time I notice rust on it.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I personally would not worry about rust on the driveshaft. It is most likely the rest of the truck will wear out before the driveshaft shaft gives you any problems. They are right about the baked on finish but I call BS on the "sanding will take it out of balance" part. I don't think even Honda balances their shafts down to micrograms. If you are really bothered by it just touch it up with a brush or rattle can.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts