Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone currently towing a RV? I am thinking about getting a small RV for weekend outings. What do you thinK, will my RTL safely handle an 18/22 footer? Also what about long mountain pulls?

·
Registered
536 Posts
What is the weight you will be towing?

My hunch is you want a full sized truck.

I tow a pop-up camper with the Ridgeline and it's great. (2500lbs)

I wouldn't want to tow near the 5000 limit, or near the limit on any truck.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whaleya said:
What is the weight you will be towing?

My hunch is you want a full sized truck.

I tow a pop-up camper with the Ridgeline and it's great. (2500lbs)

I wouldn't want to tow near the 5000 limit, or near the limit on any truck.
Been looking at a Shawdow Crusier Fun Liner on the web:
AXLE WEIGHT (2325 lbs.)
HITCH WEIGHT (240 lb.)
DRY WEIGHT (2565 lbs.) 2.
GVWR 3,150 lb. (4200 lbs.)
May have to consider a Pop UP

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I am considering getting one of these in the next 1-2 years (once my kids get a little older).

http://www.trailmanor.com/

One of my business partners just got one and he pulls it with a Toyota Sienna minivan without any difficulty. He and his family have used it several times and they love it. He got one of the 27 foot models.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We just got back from our first camping trip with our new Ridgeline. We tow a 2500 lb tent trailer. It was a pleasure and a breeze towing this time. We went 300 miles away and had some long climbs. No more having to fall in behind the slow semi trucks!

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
2,346 Posts
Those hilo trailers look pretty nice.

The advantage I see to the trailmanors are that a 27 foot trailmanor folds down to just about 20 feet. That makes it short enough to store it in your garage (as my business partner does with his). Also, the trailmanors weigh alot less than the Hilo trailers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2472

Hey, zero:

check out the trailmanor owners site. Apparently TM does not include a user's manual so one owners created a 58 page manual for the club.

After reading the manual, I am havinng second thoughts about owning a travel trailer. I do not think that I can enjoy my trip with all the check list.

there is the:

pre-trip check list.

trip check list.

setup check list

take down check list

post trip check list.

Each check list has about 20 things and 2 hours of work to do. This would not be a vacation, it is a check list trip.

also, some of the stuff takes practice and skill to do. I may be too suburban for a RV. Having a RV by a pristine lake sure sounded good.

I will look before I leap.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Blue, this is precisely why my wife hates camping, and why I'll never own such a nicely engineered trailer such as these. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
ShovelHD,

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19334#post19334

One thing I did notice is that TravelManor owners are very nice people and very passionate about their travel trailer. Check out all the nice messages of encuragement I received just today. It is usually retirees traveling with young grand children. I do see several advantage in owning a travel trailer:

-- Complete get away from internet and TV.

-- Develop hands-on skill and common sense with your kids.

-- Save money on extended travel, possible in isolation.

Disadvantages:

-- Camping in a trailer gehtto.

-- Constant worry and work. Tire, hitch, axle, battery, water, security...

-- Trailer toilet needs to be addressed every few days.

-- A lot of cleaning. I mean a lot of cleaning throughout the trip. My wife is a clean freak, not really, she is just a clean person, so she will be constantly cleaning during the trip. How can we clean with only 10 gallon of water?

Conclusion:

Travel trailer is ideal for young family with a lot of time under budget. When I was young, I was under budget but had no time. Now that I am older and have a lot of time, there is not a budget problem. So travel trailer for me is really a toy, not neccessity.

There is one single man who lives in the trailer and travels almost all year round. That is not me!

·
2,346 Posts
The reasons posted above are exactly why I am waiting for a year or two before buying. Also, one of my partners bought one so I can benefit from his experiences.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Why not rent one of these trailers for the occasional trip.
Leave the clean up and worry to some one else when you get back. It is much like my sailboat, I get to worry about it often but if I use it three or four times a year I am lucky.

Me and my wife will usually opt for a Inn with a hot shower and a cool bar. If we want to get away from it all we go sleep in the dirt back packing or maybe a tent.

At trailer camp sites all to often, you must listen to a neigbors gheto blaster, or the drone of some RV's generator running all night so they can keep up on this weeks episode of Idle American or is that American Idle or some other Non Reality Show.

Besides in California trailers are limited to 55 MPH, my blood thickens at that speed.

Steve

·
Registered
361 Posts
Steve, thanks. I think the 55mph is the clincher.

Here is the compromise: the parents stay at the Inn and the teens take the trailer and go to a camp site.

I live in Saratoga, I saw a silver Ridgeline shot by me in Cupertino yesterday for the first time. Maybe one day I will see you at Pedros parking lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts