Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tried the VCM Muzzler II and S-VCM Controller, the latter is better. But I just found out there’s a VCM Tuner II.
Has anyone tried this yet? Any benefit over the S-VCM, longevity, more durable?

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm gonna tell you what I think...

I drive 88 miles to work one way. Usually with the cruise set at 57-62 mph. Indiana is mostly smooth, I cancel the cruise a long way to stops, I try to hyper mileage my MPGs and it's pretty easy currently as traffic is minimal until I get to Indy/465, then it's balls to the wall for 15 miles to the Aeroporto.

I bought a Scan Gauge. Scan gauge 2? The bourbon tonight has made me forget, but I digress.. to monitor the VCM and I will say it NEVER SHOWS IT ACTIVE. Like hardly ever. Maybe at 55, cruising downhill, for a second. As soon as the throttle picks up, it's back off.

I hardly ever notice it activated. And I am bored driving 88 miles at 55 mph, with nothing else to do but watch my gauges. It's a pilot thing I guess lol.

Like I'm 47 and probably drive like I'm 20 years older. I leave for work SUPER early, remember if you're 5 minutes early, you're 10 minutes late, right. Young people flipping me off...screaming expletives, I should probably put the reflective "STUDENT DRIVER" magnet I had made when I was teaching my kids just so people calm TF down, and oh trust me I'm an aggressive, usually in a big-ass hurry driver and will cut you the hell off in traffic to make an exit guy. These guys don't even know the track time I've had nor that my day job is over 450mph all the time.

IMHO the VCM has been so hobbled from the previous gen to prevent breaking your expensive to replace active motor mounts, etc., that all these VCM disabling devices are a waste of money.

Man, this Backbone Bourbon is good, but I think that's for a different thread!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I’ve tried the VCM Muzzler II and S-VCM Controller, the latter is better. But I just found out there’s a VCM Tuner II.
Has anyone tried this yet? Any benefit over the S-VCM, longevity, more durable?
S-VCM is similar to VCM Tuner II, but VCM Tuner II has some additional features. I use VCM Muzzler II on both of mine, with zero issues. If I was buying again, I would most likely go with the VCM Turner II, but for now will stay with my muzzlers.

Here is a discussion on the VCM Tuner II at the Ody Club.

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
I use the VCM Muzzler II and I just got 26 mph yesterday on a nice trip (60 miles) across Denver. That the highest mileage I have ever gotten on the G2 when not exclusively traveling on the highway.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
1 Posts
I am getting ready to order a unit myself. Just hit 4000 miles. Trying to decide between the VCM Muzzler II and S-VCM. When I was doing research in December before buying my truck, I read this forum for weeks and derived some very good information from it. I like the simplicity of the Muzzler and was going to get that, but I am intrigued by the S-VCM. I'll have to catch up on my research. Just joined the site today to get some feedback on this. Great forum!

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
@Alexderaven - thanks for the info and link to Ody Club thread. I have a 2017 RTL-E with 26K miles, and have the original VCM Muzzler since 3K miles. I never had any problems with it (it flawlessly disables VCM), though I did have it throw the code twice that my resistor value was off (the CEL for “P0128 Coolant Thermostat [Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature]”. It was easy enough to clear the code with my Blue Driver ODBC reader, and change the resistor. I also tow a 4,200 lb boat, and never had any engine or transmission overheating (I did the 3X ATF fluid flush/fill early, etc).

However this summer I have a long towing job (moving my boat to another state). So I would like to know what my ATF fluid temp actually is, and not have any VCM defeat device mask any actual coolant overheating event. For the for the former I ordered the ScanGuage II, and for the latter I wad deciding between the S-VCM and the VCM Tuner II (both shut off to send real coolant temps, in event of an overheat). I read thru both websites and the Ody Club, on the feature differences between the two.

I decided on getting the S-VCM, and just ordered it. I know the VCM Tuner II has some more features, but I don't think I'd use them. I just wanted to keep it simple (KISS), and the S-VCM auto adjusts its VCM disablement (and overrides that, when the coolant temperature overheats, so you get a true reading on your dash guage). If I take my Ridgeline into service, I just remove any VCM device (so I don't need the idle/service functino on the VCM Tuner II). But for folks that want that - that's fine too.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Alexderaven - thanks for the info and link to Ody Club thread. I have a 2017 RTL-E with 26K miles, and have the original VCM Muzzler since 3K miles. I never had any problems with it (it flawlessly disables VCM), though I did have it throw the code twice that my resistor value was off (the CEL for “P0128 Coolant Thermostat [Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature]”. It was easy enough to clear the code with my Blue Driver ODBC reader, and change the resistor. I also tow a 4,200 lb boat, and never had any engine or transmission overheating (I did the 3X ATF fluid flush/fill early, etc).

However this summer I have a long towing job (moving my boat to another state). So I would like to know what my ATF fluid temp actually is, and not have any VCM defeat device mask any actual coolant overheating event. For the for the former I ordered the ScanGuage II, and for the latter I wad deciding between the S-VCM and the VCM Tuner II (both shut off to send real coolant temps, in event of an overheat). I read thru both websites and the Ody Club, on the feature differences between the two.

I decided on getting the S-VCM, and just ordered it. I know the VCM Tuner II has some more features, but I don't think I'd use them. I just wanted to keep it simple (KISS), and the S-VCM auto adjusts its VCM disablement (and overrides that, when the coolant temperature overheats, so you get a true reading on your dash guage). If I take my Ridgeline into service, I just remove any VCM device (so I don't need the idle/service functino on the VCM Tuner II). But for folks that want that - that's fine too.
Pretty sure the temp on your dash (masked or not by the VCM device) is of your engine, not the ATF.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Pretty sure the temp on your dash (masked or not by the VCM device) is of your engine, not the ATF.
Yes, on my ScanGauge II (that I just got tonight) - I'll set it up to monitor Engine Coolant temp, ATF temp, and VCM status on a screen (you can have 4 guage values displayed at once). ScanGauge II has programmable gauges ("X-Gauge"), and you can program the ATF temp and VCM status (which @CentexG2 has demo'd).

I'm in the camp that can't tell when VCM is active (before I installed VCM Muzzler). So before my S-VCM arrives in a couple of weeks, I'll remove my VCM Muzzler, then use the ScanGauge II VCM Status gauge to see how it feels when VCM kicks in. Then I'll install the S-VCM and verify that it in-fact does shut off VCM.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, on my ScanGauge II (that I just got tonight) - I'll set it up to monitor Engine Coolant temp, ATF temp, and VCM status on a screen (you can have 4 guage values displayed at once). ScanGauge II has programmable gauges ("X-Gauge"), and you can program the ATF temp and VCM status (which @CentexG2 has demo'd).

I'm in the camp that can't tell when VCM is active (before I installed VCM Muzzler). So before my S-VCM arrives in a couple of weeks, I'll remove my VCM Muzzler, then use the ScanGauge II VCM Status gauge to see how it feels when VCM kicks in. Then I'll install the S-VCM and verify that it in-fact does shut off VCM.
I too am in the camp that can't tell when the VCM kicks in and before ordering a S-VCM I got a scangauge and programmed it up. Mine HARDLY ever kicks the VCM in. Hardly ever. I have to be going 65-75 and down a good grade coasting for it to kick on, as soon as the throttle picks up it's gone. IDK

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 2 cents. I could detect the VCM kicking in on my 18RL, it didn't bother really but bought S-VCM. My feeling is it's a motor mount saver more than a piston ring saver. I'm a pretty picky guy, don't care if my truck is dirty but am hyper aware of all things mechanical. I don't so a lot of city of driving so could detect it easy on rural roads and hwy. Same sensations with our old Oddy.

Now the weird part. My wife has a 17 Pilot with the exact same engine other than her SUV has 9s tranny. I can not see, feel or hear VCM engagement in any circumstance -even trying to mimic the ideal conditions.

Anyway, S-VCM has been great so far..........i have it, even if i'm not sure it's needed for this motor.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
....I decided on getting the S-VCM, and just ordered it. I know the VCM Tuner II has some more features, but I don't think I'd use them. I just wanted to keep it simple (KISS), and the S-VCM auto adjusts its VCM disablement (and overrides that, when the coolant temperature overheats, so you get a true reading on your dash guage)....
I just installed my S-VCM (it was easy), and did some driving testing with my ScanGauge. As expected, VCM never came on, and the indicated coolant temperature plateaued out 164F. So it’s working as advertised.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
275 Posts
For those that have tried a couple of VCM disabling devices (or at least read up on them enough to know any subtle differences), which of these two is the best? If there is no difference/benefit either way, I'll go with the S-VCM as it's cheaper. It's for a 2019 AWD.

Note I assume both of these products are considered preferable to VCM-Mussler, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've read plenty of posts on disabling VCM, but just looking for some clear, recent recommendations on the way to go!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had the SVCM for a couple years with no problems up to now, but recently it's been getting the CEL for “P0128 Coolant Thermostat [Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature]". I reset it with my scan tool and it comes back on the next drive. Anybody else having this problem?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
604 Posts
I need some education. My 2019 RTL-T drives fine. Kinda like a nice, high quality car should. So, does that mean I should not even think about all this VCM stuff? Are people having problems that I'm not having?

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I need some education. My 2019 RTL-T drives fine. Kinda like a nice, high quality car should. So, does that mean I should not even think about all this VCM stuff? Are people having problems that I'm not having?
You are not the only one. For me, it seems a solution looking for a problem.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
While I was reading this forum before I bought the Ridgeline, I figured I would need to get a VCM defeat device but decided to drive it until the VCM issues surfaced. I’ve only felt the VCM actuate once in 25K miles and have had no other problems with it. I have not purchased a VCM defeat device and probably won’t.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts