Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Reminds me of the girl that died in the back of a 70's Ford Mustang that caught fire because she panicked and kept pushing on the back of the front passenger seat while pressing down on the release lever to get out. Pushing on the back of the seat will keep the lever from releasing.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Yes I saw that on news the other day what a shame.
I am not familiar with Corvette door locks l never really looked at them.
My uncle in Hampton VA has had Corvettes for years he is about 80 now.
The Corvette and his old Cadillac STS stay parked under his carport covered by car covers. He is semi retired building contractor and has had his own family business for 50yrs. He & aunt have company work pickup trucks and she has Dodge Dakota she drives to office. They also have big RV and Jeep that is towed behind. They stay parked also as they are older. His son has an older Corvette that the father had.
I think he got his first Corvette back in the early 80s mid life and aunt had a few Trans AM. But I would have thought Corvette would have pull up lock button like other vehicles on the doors. I guess he was a confused elderly man.
But people don't read the manuals just like my stupid sister with Ridgeline.
She always calls me how to operate this or that and truck is over 8yrs old.
Just this past Friday she went on vacation dropped her two small dogs off with me. She then called back ask how to set trip meter. She pushed it & did not hold it longer for reset. When she sees a light on the dash she calls me I say RTFM.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Even those who read the manual might forget during all the excitement. They may not have read it for several years.
Not everyone has the same degree of calm to act accordingly or have the inclination to quickly surmise how things work.
That is why manufacturers have to make things more intuitive. Especially if it is an action that has to performed under duress and especially with the elderly, children, disabled, etc. etc.
It is on the parents to ensure children understand what to do in an emergency. In the case of the elderly it is also the responsibility of their children or friends to provide the same instruction. Even then these tragedies will still happen, but maybe less often.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I guess he was a confused elderly man.
Sad, but probably true.
He likely didn't try and flag down any passers-by out of fear of embarrassment.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I haven't been in a new Corvette but the doors must be somewhat confusing. Last Saturday night I was in a dive bar with a friend when two very drunk girls came walking in (one blonde one brunette). They were loud so everyone could hear them. One of them had a new Corvette and they were talking about how it took them 10 minutes to figure out how to open the doors. I wrote it off as their state of inebriation.

After they revealed they were pole dancers at a nearby strip club their stories got louder and much more graphic. Then they talked about the Corvette some more and the blonde says that anyone could steal the car since you don't have to lock the doors and you don't need a key to start it. That's when I had to jump in and ask her if she had a key fob. She held up a black rectangular object and said "like this?". I said yes, and that the car wouldn't start if she didn't have that in her pocket or purse, etc. and that the doors automatically lock when she walked away from the car and unlock when you get near the car. Again I don't know if it was her state of drunkenness but she seemed honestly surprised and said, "I didn't know what that thing was for".

They left at about 1 AM and I decided to go out in the parking lot to make sure she didn't hit my truck, etc. There were some bikers parked behind her car and I told them that she's really drunk and for them to be careful. She started the car and sat there for a couple of minutes then the driver's door opened and she was 'giving back' all that she just drank. After that episode she put it in reverse and backed up about 6" at a time. She'd go back about 6" then jam on the brakes. She repeated this many times until she could turn out and go forward.

As soon as she made it on to the public road she put the pedal to the metal and took off like a bat out of hell. The road she was on is only about 1/4 mile long and then you have to turn either left or right or go straight into the trees. I don't know what happened, but the last I saw of her (them) they were going about 70 MPH and would have to be hitting the brakes pretty heavy to avoid the end of the road. I didn't hear any crash so I guess they made it. I went home the other direction so I didn't get to look for a new Corvette in the trees.

I've had a few new Corvette's but I don't remember any problems opening the doors... now getting in and out of them is a different story.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
After they revealed they were pole dancers at a nearby strip club
I once had a neighbor who worked at a gentlemen's club. Really good looking. But dumb as a rock.

She had a BMW convertible with an alarm system, and would set it off every time she unlocked it, because she didn't hit the button on the fob first. She'd just do this ditzy shrug thing, get in and drive off. Every.single.time.

Chip H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts