Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We knew we were on borrowed time. Our three month anniversary of ownership was July 29th. Each day we hoped against hope that our cut off would somehow get overlooked. It was a silly notion, as we've received two mailings and at least that many phone recordings urging us to sign up.

We've come to love XM much more than I would have ever expected. We agonized over the decision of becoming subscribers. Oh how I hate the idea of writing another check each month and, no, I will not go to automatic deductions of my bank account. My money is hard earned and I need to make it harder to spend, not easier.

I think the rate for XM is excessive. The thing that sways me a bit is the online access, but I still think it's too high.

We'll see how we do with our withdrawal phase over the next few weeks. We decided we would not subscribe until after we came back from Canada. I will start packing my iPod around for our extended driving. If we are still missing it in a couple of months, maybe the subscription will be my Christmas present for my hubby. . .

·
Registered
43 Posts
When you got your RL did you have to tell them to start the three months? I haven't done anything and I get about 10 channels. Are these demo channels? Did you have access to all their channels for three months?

Kevin

·
Registered
82 Posts
HK... unless there is a factor i am unaware of, every sale should automatically set up the 3 month trial period. even my folks chevy with xm has the three month trial. You might be doing the exact same thing i did for the first day or two. Untill i looked in my manual that is. Are you hitting the "category <- and ->" buttons??? i was doing that and getting very frustratred. the reguar Search "<- and ->" buttons on the right side of the radio are what switched from channel to channel. Let me knwo if this helps.
You will get info in a month or so about signing up for future months. i just cracked down and payed for three more months and i will asses again then.
Let me know if this helps!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If you ask for $8.88 per month youi'll get it... your choice of 1,2 or 3 years sign up. I had to asl to speak too 2 supervisors until I got price, but they cave after awhile... I dont always use XM, but FM reception in my area, stinks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you serious?? 8.88/ month. if thats the case im calling back. I JUST PAID...
are you sure thats not just a way of saying that you got a discount for paying for multiple months. i have my invoice right here..
3 months total is 38.85
12 month is 142.45 (saving 12.95)
2 year is 271.95 (saving 38.85)
3 year is 359.64 (saving 106.56)

Also, i think you can get it cheaper if you opt out of premium channels. but thats a guess, nothing confirmed.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hkmail1 said:
When you got your RL did you have to tell them to start the three months? I haven't done anything and I get about 10 channels. Are these demo channels? Did you have access to all their channels for three months?

Kevin
We did nothing to start it. It was working when we took possession. We had dozens of channels but only listened to about 8 of them, mostly the 3-4 we liked the best.

We lost the signal in the mountains of Idaho on our last trip. Other than that we only had a momentary ping or skip on a rare occasion.

So far our FM signal is OK. It's hard to go back to the dj banter and commercials, the narrow spectrum of artists and songs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You need to move to Alaska or Hawaii, no XM coverage at all! I 'spose that is what the CD player is for, keeping us entertained in the boonies.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My XM trial ran out this week as well...it went two days past the end date they stated.

So, after two days, guess what? My FM/AM goes out on me last night after getting off work! Not a single station. So I called my wife and had her check her radio reception in her Ody. No problem (BTW - they didn't turn off her XM yet, and she don't even care to have it! :mad: )

So now I am down to CD's until I can get to the dealership.

I have had crappy FM reception, and believed the 'in roof' antenna sucked. Now I KNOW its a conspiracy to pay for XM!

Given what I read on other posts, I waited for the expiration, so next week I might get XM if it is discounted. I don't know if the $77/year is still around but that's what I will pay, nothing more. If I'm gonna spend $13 a month, I may as well buy an extra CD and have it to keep.

L

·
0 Posts
Truckin' said:
We did nothing to start it. It was working when we took possession. We had dozens of channels but only listened to about 8 of them, mostly the 3-4 we liked the best.

We lost the signal in the mountains of Idaho on our last trip. Other than that we only had a momentary ping or skip on a rare occasion.

So far our FM signal is OK. It's hard to go back to the dj banter and commercials, the narrow spectrum of artists and songs.
Hey girl...your XM should NOT have been active when you bought your Ridgeline. If it was, then the dealer activated it and they are not suppose to. Do you know when it was activated?? You may be entitled to more time. Call XM and find out and the Ridgester is correct. Whine a little and you may be able to get a discount or even free time. It's worth a try. :rolleyes:
Mine is $10.00 per month for 3 years.

·
Registered
171 Posts
TheRidgester said:
If you ask for $8.88 per month youi'll get it... your choice of 1,2 or 3 years sign up. I had to asl to speak too 2 supervisors until I got price, but they cave after awhile... I dont always use XM, but FM reception in my area, stinks!
Yep, I asked and got it also.

·
Registered
302 Posts
ladyridge said:
...XM should NOT have been active when you bought your Ridgeline. If it was, then the dealer activated it and they are not suppose to...
Our dealer activated XM as well. Why would you say they shouldn't have?

Ours had been garaged for a couple days past the expiration date. When we took it out I specifically turned-on the radio and wondered what would happen. Well, it played for a while and then displayed a "downloading" message or something. I said "well, that's the end of it" and sure enough, it was gone.

I got cable TV free for a few years when they lost my record somehow--no such luck w/XM!! :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine went away today as well. I really like being exposed to new music so I'm hooked. I called XM to try to get the $8.88 rate but was told that there was no such thing. I whined. I asked to speak to a supervisor. I got a grumpy one. He also told me that there was no such rate. I whined some more. He finally gave me the following options if paid in one chunk and not their normal quarterly billing.

1yr---$9.99
2yr---$8.96
3yr---$8.75
4yr---$8.56
5yr---$8.33

I went with the two year plan.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Couple of quick questions to the experts.

Has anyone extended before the cutoff date? (Trial period end date)

If you extended early did they add on the remaining months of the trial period? (ex. 1 year plus 2 months remaining on trial = 14 months)

Did you get charged a activation fee when you signed up after the trial period? (Online activation $9.99, phone $14.99)

I really like the XM and would like to use the free online XM as well. Free online requires you to be a subscrber, thus these what may seem silly questions have a reason. :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
never a silly question on the ROC....

I cant answer the "additional time" question if signing up after say one month instead of three. I signed up about a day before my trial was up.

But i can tell you that IF YOU LET your trial expire, and THEN you sign up, you could be charged an activation fee. IF you sign up BEFORE your trial is cut off, you dont have to pay the activation fee. i signed up a day after my notice date, but a few days before my trial was up and they did not charge me the fee. I belive if you let the trial run out, then you pay the ativation fee because then they actually have to "activate" it again. (9.99 to push a "different" button on the computer if you ask me).
I hope that helps some.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I rode my freebee until the last day then signed up on line with credit card for an addtional 3 months. Guess what! Couple of days later I was cut off! Called the toll free number and got someone that has little if any command of the English language, seems like they all may be from India. Received a bill today threating me with termination unless I send in a check for the 3 months plus $2 for not being a credit card customer. XM custormer service sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This problem is on my '05 Accord. Expect the same problem next month with my Ridgeline!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
AlaskaRidge said:
You need to move to Alaska or Hawaii, no XM coverage at all! I 'spose that is what the CD player is for, keeping us entertained in the boonies.
I am crazy about Alaska and have definitely thought about moving there. I just don't think I could handle the short days of winter. I sure do want to visit in the summer again!

It's too bad that Honda tied the input jack to the NAV option, which I know doesn't work in AK or HI either. An iPod is a great way to have a huge variety of tunes on board.

XM is satellite service. Can't we get a beam shooting to the northern regions? I don't know if the signals hit Canada and you can get the radio if you have the service, or it's just the gov't preventing Canadians from signing up. It was the assumption that we could listen to it while we are up there that allowed me to let it expire. We'll be up there about a month, which will pay for our reactivation fee if we change our minds.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ladyridge said:
Hey girl...your XM should NOT have been active when you bought your Ridgeline. Do you know when it was activated??
Our truck came into town on the 29th of April and we scrambled right over and drove it home that afternoon. XM was working when we got into it. We got three months and one week free, so I can't boo hoo about being cut off too soon.

I am surprised that they have not called again to solicit us. They could catch us in a moment of weakness. . . I will hold out for something $10 a month or less if we do subscribe.

L

·
0 Posts
Laser and Truckin'. Dealers are not suppose to activate the XM in your vehicle until it is bought and paid for and you are driving it off the lot. This is from Honda/XM. I had an issue with this with a customer when I was with a dealer and I called both and they both confirmed it. The reason being? If they activate the XM the day your vehicle hits the dealership and you don't buy that vehicle for 2 months, you only have 1 month left on it. I activated mine myself like I was told and recieved the full 3 months.
Just an experience I had to share with you. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its a valid concern Ladyridge... and i would agree to be carefull. I cant say i know exactly how mine was activated. the only thing i know is that every ridge i test drove had full activated XM. weather this is right or not, it didnt concern me.
As for me, i put a deal together on my ridge in late april. had to wait a couple of weeks for it to be found (so to speak). delivered, and then all of my accessories to be put on. SO i finaly put all final paperwork and financeing in place and signed on May 5th. Picked it up on May 9th because the fender flares had to sit in the garage for the rainy weekend otherwise they wouldnt set properly. SO... i took actual delivery of my ridge on May 9th. two months later i got some paperwork in the mail to sign up, and my trial period was going to expire on August 9th... EXACTLY 90 days from the day i took delivery. SO i dont know what they did but as far as im concerned they did it right. Maybe the ridgelines that are not registered and in service have some kind of preview mode untill Honda calls xm and gives them a trial activation date? because it worked before i took delivery, and it worked the day i took delivery, and would have worked exactly 3 months to the day after i took delivery. i cracked down and paid for 3 more months!
BUT DEFFINATELY MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR 90 DAYS!!!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
DABRidgeman333 said:
Are you serious?? 8.88/ month. if thats the case im calling back. I JUST PAID...
are you sure thats not just a way of saying that you got a discount for paying for multiple months. i have my invoice right here..
3 months total is 38.85
12 month is 142.45 (saving 12.95)
2 year is 271.95 (saving 38.85)
3 year is 359.64 (saving 106.56)

Also, i think you can get it cheaper if you opt out of premium channels. but thats a guess, nothing confirmed.
Yes.. with 1 ,2 or 3 years.. they will go $8.88 per month... I got this number on this site a couple months ago from other members

1 - 20 of 58 Posts