Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the biggest reason I picked the RL over the Taco was safety features, especially the all wheel drive, stability control, side curtain airbags and the crash rating. But to most folks, these features have less priority than cruise control, a nice stereo and a full size spare. An interesting article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/tipsandadvice/10/07/safety_interest/index.html

·
Registered
964 Posts
hankim said:
Probably the biggest reason I picked the RL over the Taco was safety features, especially the all wheel drive, stability control, side curtain airbags and the crash rating. But to most folks, these features have less priority than cruise control, a nice stereo and a full size spare. An interesting article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/tipsandadvice/10/07/safety_interest/index.html
That's because we are "weak and stooopid" in my best Arnold impression.

I got the Ridgeline for several reasons. one of the biggest is it's great safety features. Also for the trunk. Only thing on that list the RL doesn't come with is a full size spare (which I think is a problem... should come standard on a truck).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The #1 reason I was looking for a new vehicle was safety. Side airbags, vehicle stability, all wheel antilock, 5/5/4 star safety rating. My boys and my wife are my most precious cargo. Could care less how the vehicle looks, costs to fix, etc if we are in an accident. How it performs and protects the occupants is #1 in my book. That's why I am in an RTS not an RTL - because I didn't want all the creature features (but I am highly envious of those with their own ivaN).

-ridgeln

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The crash ratings weren't out yet when I bought my RL (or at least I hadn't seen them yet), so they didn't really play a role in my purchase. However, the fact that the RL had 4 wheel anti-lock brakes, VSA, and all the air bags did help with the decision, at least as far as safety. I think the trunk, crew cab, 4WD, and being a Honda were the main considerations for me.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The first time I saw the Ridgeline (amazon green, March 8) at the Honda lot, at night, (note that I missed the Super Bowl commercial) I turned to my wife and said, "wow that is one beautifull truck"! Next day we were back to the dealer, test drove the truck, and ordered the next one available! I was not aware of any ratings, I just felt it in my bones this was the perfect vehicle. Everything I have found out about the Ridgeline has proven my gut feel for it :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
What really got me interested in the Ridge was all the safety features. The fact that all 3 rear seat positions had child seat attachments really sold it to guy like myself with 2 tiny tots. This was the only truck that allowed me to get a truck to haul stuff and not have the backseat be an after thought.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Had to share this story with you.....I was speaking today with my children about stuff..... the kind of conversations you can have with your teenagers when you are at the beach and time stands still..... and one thing that they brought up was when they were much smaller and their Dad had a Ford Ranger..... they reminded me about how stupid that they felt riding in that truck. The back of the Ranger has/had those little jumpseats that faced in toward each other and there was nothing to support and/or pad the head in the event of a crash. The reason that they felt stupid was that we made them wear their bicycle helmets when they rode in those jumpseats to protect their little noggin's. Nothing there but glass to cushion a blow :eek: I guess that they did feel stupid, but safety has always been our priority. With the Ridgeline, I don't have to give safety a second thought now, minds far greater than ours have been hard at work protecting my precious cargo. Love the truck and all of the toys, no doubt about it, but bringing my family home safe and sound each day is worth more than all of the Navi's, in bed trunks, etc. in the world :)

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I was very interested in the Ridegline's safety features as I learned more about the vehicle before it was released. I knew that I would be hauling the kids around and the side curtain airbags along with the VSA really sold me.

The icing on the cake is the crash test ratings and rollover ratings.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I must say the fact that it was a Honda truck with 5 seats was a huge factor in buying the Ridge. The fact that it had side air bags and a 5 star crash rating was a major plus. Safety is very important in hauling my family around.

L

·
0 Posts
When I first heard about and the Ridgeline I said,
"WOW...cool truck..I gotta get me one of these".
That was in August of 2004. From that point on, I drove everyone in the dealership nuts until it arrived. I even had the SM's calling Honda to find out when our allocation was arriving. I had to have all the posters, brochures, etc. and I had to go to the ride and drive even though I wasn't a salesperson. They snuck me in. :D
THEN I heard about the safety and that's when Todd was sold.
( like he had a choice :D )
I guess the majority rules.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SmokyMtnRidger said:
Had to share this story with you.....I was speaking today with my children about stuff..... the kind of conversations you can have with your teenagers when you are at the beach and time stands still..... and one thing that they brought up was when they were much smaller and their Dad had a Ford Ranger..... they reminded me about how stupid that they felt riding in that truck. The back of the Ranger has/had those little jumpseats that faced in toward each other and there was nothing to support and/or pad the head in the event of a crash. The reason that they felt stupid was that we made them wear their bicycle helmets when they rode in those jumpseats to protect their little noggin's. Nothing there but glass to cushion a blow :eek: I guess that they did feel stupid, but safety has always been our priority. With the Ridgeline, I don't have to give safety a second thought now, minds far greater than ours have been hard at work protecting my precious cargo. Love the truck and all of the toys, no doubt about it, but bringing my family home safe and sound each day is worth more than all of the Navi's, in bed trunks, etc. in the world :)
Very nice heartfelt and sincere testimonial story. I do emphatize. I have four daughters and three grandsons.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I knew nothing of the "crash-test-results" until I read about them here. The salesman said nothing of it.

I purchased my RL because of the price. You just get so much stuff! No one can compete...leather/sunrrof/big stereo/full-size-everything for under $30K WITH great resale value? GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! SIGN ME UP! The Toyota Tacoma could not even compare. Sorry, kids.

Cheers,
George

P.S. I have an old 1992 Dodge Dakota V6 with a 7 1/2 Western snowplow that does GREAT! Burns a little oil, but it cannot be killed, I promise you!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
The safety rating of the Ridge absolutely was a selling point for us. We are very proud to own the first truck to ever earn the 5 star rating.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I definitely bought the Ridgeline partially for its safety features. In fact I was requiring side curtain airbags of any vehicle on the list, which was going to make all the others hard to come by as they generally don't ship with them and apparently most can't be installed outside the factory so I would have had to order one directly from the factory with the airbags installed. This was a major selling point for the Ridgeline, just another reason it led the pack.

·
Registered
626 Posts
After reading a book on SUV safety, the Ridgeline's safety ratings were very important to me -- as well as the construction of the vehicle with respect to how it would affect *other* cars in a crash (this isn't included as part of a vehicle's safety rating, so it's harder to assess). The rollover rating wasn't out yet, but Consumer Reports had done their own testing and had already recommended the truck, so I knew it would be ok (Consumer Reports' rollover tests are more aggressive than the government's test).

It doesn't surprise me at all that a lot of people on the ROC bought their RL because of safety -- what with all the doctors, nurses, EMTs, firemen, etc. on the site. The engineers, well, we bought it cuz safety is *cool* (ok, so I'm a dork, I admit it). :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
It's funny that the article doesn't mention the age or economic demographics of those surveyed. I am sure that anyone with an older model car wants a/c and music first since they probably don't have it when asked.

These are features I take for 'granted' and wouldn't buy a car without (at least a/c). And radio? What cars don't come with radio other than used, beat up 'junkers'? It's possible those surveyed didn't have these things many of us consider standard (i.e., young buyers or lower income with very older model vehicles).

I didn't have to wait for the crash test study to come out to know the RL would fare well. Honda has a great safety reputation. But then again, those of us that own/buy Hondas already knew that.

I certainly want safety around my family and I - hence my 'generation' theory as to why music (radio/cd) is a priority over safety for some. I guess it's a 'basic' needs thing and when you are used to basic needs like a/c and music you just move up the next important thing! (I bet cup holders fared well too!!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts