Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTICE: This post was corrected on 11/28/2014 to include the passenger side information.

Honda is announcing today a recall that will include the 2006 Honda Ridgeline, but it will only apply to vehicles sold or ever registered in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. These are considered "absolute high humidity" areas.

Not all 2006 Ridgeline's are included in this recall. Some early production Ridgeline's may need the either the drivers, passengers, or both drivers and passengers airbag modules replaced.

You can go to the following page and enter your VIN to see if your vehicle is subject to this or other recalls: http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Safety Recall: 2006 Ridgeline d/s airbag - certain areas only.

For those interested... this issue is not specific to the Ridgeline, or Honda. The problem is the airbag propellant canister which could rupture upon deployment. For example, a Honda driver's lawyer told NHTSA that the car was in a crash, and both driver and passenger air bags inflated. The driver's air bag inflator ruptured "and propelled a one-inch piece of shrapnel into the driver's right eye." The driver lost sight and suffered cuts requiring 100 stitches to close, the complaint said.

The propellant canisters were made by a company named Takata Corp. based in Japan. Takata supplied essentially the same canisers to BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota.

They are acting quickly on the areas subjected to "asolute high humidity" but I suspect this will eventually include all the Takata supplied canisters of that era.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

This is a downside of a global auto industry - when a bad design is discovered, it affects a huge number of vehicles, not all from the same brand.

Chip H.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

Honda is announcing today a recall that will include the 2006 Honda Ridgeline, but it will only apply to vehicles sold or ever registered in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. These are considered "absolute high humidity" areas.
Guess they never lived in Minnesooooota.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Just checked mine, no recall on mine since it has always been in California. :)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

Honda is expanding its two-million-vehicle air bag recall by as many as one million more vehicles in California

Honda is expanding its two-million-vehicle air bag recall by as many as one million more vehicles in California, the automaker said Tuesday. Last month, Honda recalled vehicles in eight other states.

Honda has since received a report of an “energetic deployment” of an air bag in California, leading to the decision to issue a recall, Chris Martin, a spokesman for the automaker, said in a telephone interview. Mr. Martin also said that the automaker was still calculating how many vehicles are being recalled because it involves tracing vehicle histories. But he estimated the total will be about 3 million in the United States.

The vehicles affected by the recall are the 4-cylinder-engine-equipped 2001-7 Honda Accord; the 2001-2 Honda Accord V6; the 2001-5 Honda Civic; the 2002-6 Honda CR-V; the 2003-11 Honda Element; the 2002-4 Honda Odyssey; the 2003-7 Honda Pilot; the 2006 Honda Ridgeline; the 2003-6 Acura MDX; and the 2002-3 Acura TL and CL.
Honda Expands Takata Air Bag Inflator Recall

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Traded my 2006. Sure hope the new owner gets the message...

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

If they registered at the Honda ownerlink site, they should. But if you know who the new owner is, wouldn't hurt for you to tell them to check the Honda site.

Given the scope of this recall (millions of new airbags required), it will take a long time for everyone to get theirs replaced.

Chip H.

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Honda and other auto manufacturers have a system called "owner followup services" that allows them to obtain the current owner information of a vehicle subject to safety recalls in all 50 states.

This airbag canister problem is a huge one among many auto makers. As replacement parts become available I expect all of them will eventually be recalled. They're trying to replace the ones most likely to fail first. This probably doesn't seem fair to an owner of one of the non-recalled vehicles that use the same defective airbag canister right now, but it's a matter of logistics. The numbers are staggering and this is not a 10 minute fix even if the dealers could get the parts.

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Where were they made.
The defective canisters were made by Takata Corp. and from what I understand they were actually built in Mexico, but Takata has about 20% of the worlds airbag market and has manufaturing plants in many countries.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I entered the VIN for my 2006 Ridgeline and it didn't show up, when it should. I've bought and driven this thing in East Texas since new.

·
Registered
762 Posts

Honda just came out with this message:

On Monday, June 23, 2014, American Honda announced three recalls for various 2001-11 Honda models. At this time, affected VINs have not been determined. Due to this, the following models are subject to a recall and stop sale order in all regions of the United States and US territories:

2001-07 Accord 4 cyl.
2001-05 Accord V6
2001-05 Civic
2002-06 CR-V
2003-11 Element
2002-04 Odyssey
2003-07 Pilot
2006 Ridgeline

Because both VIN information and parts availability are unclear, all of the vehicles in the above model/model year range should be treated at this time as “potentially affected vehicles.” Accordingly, American Honda is providing the verbiage below to facilitate service of these “potentially affected vehicles.” Should a “potentially affected vehicle” arrive for service, the customer must be advised that their vehicle may be subject to a recall and the dealer must document that they advised the customer. The following suggested text should be included on the repair order. This information should be printed out completely any time service is conducted on a vehicle within the model/year ranges listed above. Once VIN specific information is available, the normal procedures under SOM 7.2.1 will apply for this recall.

Suggested Verbiage to be included on Repair Order:
“Customer advised that:
The vehicle may be subject to one or more recalls affecting the driver’s and/or passenger’s front airbag inflators. Redesigned airbag inflators are not available for installation at this time. Once redesigned parts are available, the registered owner of the vehicle will receive notice to bring the vehicle in for replacement of the component.”

Once additional information regarding affected VINs is available, American Honda will activate VIN status inquiry and update all dealers via iN message and service bulletin.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

Those vehicles included in the recall need to have the driver's side airbag inflator replaced free of charge.

You can go to the following page and enter your VIN to see if your vehicle is subject to this or other recalls: http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls
Mine was placed into service at Freeman Honda in Dallas. While I bask in good old 80% to 90% AR humidity.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts

I just saw on the TV news, that BMW is recalling 1.6 million vehicles on this exact same airbag issue. The 3 series made from the years 2k to 2006

Half of million are here in the US

·
Registered
5,621 Posts

So if I got this right: I have a 2006 RTL, bought new & still resides in California, so it's subject to the recall (at least tentatively from what is said so far). But parts for the recall will not be available for "some time", even for these priority states/vehicles; so I'll be notified at some future date with regards to recall repairs. VIN determinations have not been made, so link provided above will not verify my vehicle as subject to recall anyway, correct? In the meantime, just mosey along as was and await further info. Am I getting this correct?

I'm also a bit curious why my 2005 S2000 is not effected. 'Must use a different part from the rest of the Hondas?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

Am I getting this correct?
Yes.
It's an industry-wide problem (millions of cars & trucks have this issue world-wide), and the replacement parts don't exist in sufficient quantities yet.

Nothing to be done about it, until production ramps up.

My concern is that scammers will take advantage of the situation and start selling inferior or fake airbag units to people desperate to get their cars fixed.

Chip H.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts