Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel Pump recall on Gen 2?

Just got a phone call from my service manager stating there was a "recall" for my '17 RL, for a leaking or defective fuel pump. They will inspect and/or replace as needed. they have ordered parts if needed. My appt is this Wednesday, 30th.

Anyone heard anything about this, or is this maybe a TSB instead of a recall.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Re: Fuel Pump recall on Gen 2?

The only recall I see on the NHTSA website is for the wiring harness. You could check the Honda owners site with you VIN# as well. Were you having an issue for them to volunteer this? I believe there are TSB's (not recalls) about the noisy fuel pump even though a noisy fuel pump will have no impact on its longevity.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The only recall I see on the NHTSA website is for the wiring harness. You could check the Honda owners site with you VIN# as well. Were you having an issue for them to volunteer this? I believe there are TSB's (not recalls) about the noisy fuel pump even though a noisy fuel pump will have no impact on its longevity.
Nope, not having issues with the engine at all. Most of my unresolved problems have been with the head unit (not working, working but hanging up, blank screen, and quit working for incoming text).

I think you're right, this must be a TSB. So, knowing my dealership, it's probably a good chance for them to try and "up sell" me some of their crap. They do good work, but the push to pay for unneeded stuff and services is tiresome.

I guess I'll find out Wed.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Nope, not having issues with the engine at all. Most of my unresolved problems have been with the head unit (not working, working but hanging up, blank screen, and quit working for incoming text).

I think you're right, this must be a TSB. So, knowing my dealership, it's probably a good chance for them to try and "up sell" me some of their crap. They do good work, but the push to pay for unneeded stuff and services is tiresome.

I guess I'll find out Wed.
You may have a good dealer who is looking out for you, a TSB repair won't cost you anything. It may also give them work to do and bill Honda for if they are slow. I once had the Honda dealer offer to replace the steering rack on a CRV and a power steering pump on an Odyssey without me mentioning or asking anything. I did have Hondacare on those and was out of warranty. They were repaired properly without incident.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,674 Posts

Just got a phone call from my service manager stating there was a "recall" for my '17 RL, for a leaking or defective fuel pump. They will inspect and/or replace as needed. they have ordered parts if needed. My appt is this Wednesday, 30th.

Anyone heard anything about this, or is this maybe a TSB instead of a recall.

Thanks,
Randy
There is no recall for the G2 related to Fuel pump that I could see on the Honda Owners portal. However here are all the TSBs for a 2017 >> https://www.truedelta.com/Honda-Ridgeline-tsbs-106,2017 and 2018 >> 2018 Honda Ridgeline Service Bulletins - Honda Problems
I believe there are 215+ TSBs issued for the G2 currently.

·
Registered
563 Posts

I had the fuel pump replaced a few weeks? after receiving my rl. It has a manufactured date of Mar'17. There was no cel, but I did find a code when I scanned with torque. I thought it as related to the yellow envelop head unit issue but it wasn't. According to the service manager, their tool showed abnormal pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Hey--I just got back from the "B 1 2" service (did the 2 myself....), and I regret to say, as of today, there IS, in fact, a service recall. It relates to the "use of some washing detergents/cleaners" potentially causing "cracks or leaks" of the fuel pump (or something like that--note on my invoice says "fuel cracks or leaks inspection" and that a cover has been special ordered to cover the recall). The recall is dated January 25th, so even looking on the Honda owners website, since that's only up-to-date through yesterday, it's not there yet. It popped up when the service advisor was entering my VIN and his first response was "this must be wrong; there's no recall on the Ridgeline."

·
Registered
73 Posts

I’m at the dealer for an oil change and they just told me about it and are fixing it now, didn’t know anything about it, just told me it came up with my VIN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hey--I just got back from the "B 1 2" service (did the 2 myself....), and I regret to say, as of today, there IS, in fact, a service recall. It relates to the "use of some washing detergents/cleaners" potentially causing "cracks or leaks" of the fuel pump (or something like that--note on my invoice says "fuel cracks or leaks inspection" and that a cover has been special ordered to cover the recall). The recall is dated January 25th, so even looking on the Honda owners website, since that's only up-to-date through yesterday, it's not there yet. It popped up when the service advisor was entering my VIN and his first response was "this must be wrong; there's no recall on the Ridgeline."
That sounds like what my service manager said when he called. Was gonna order parts in case mine needed replacing. Said it would take about 2 hrs.
I had checked Honda's web site and NHSTA also and nothing on either as of this am.
thanks everybody,
Randy

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts

When you next talk to your service manager please get the VIN range that this effects and post it here.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Said the recall just came out said they have to order the parts and that the notices should be out shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
"Certain vehicle cleaning detergents/agents may interact adversely with the fuel pump and feed port, causing cracks that
may lead to pressurized fuel leaks.

Inspect the fuel pump, and replace if needed. Install the fuel pump cover kit."

The TSB associated with this recall is 19-013 and was issued on January 25, 2019.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,588 Posts

Moderator Note: Thread Closed

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got a phone call from the dealer today. They want me to bring it in next week. They said they are ordering the parts and will have them in to complete it. The issue for me is that even though it is a recall they do not want to give me a loaner for the day. They will give me a ride to my job but I drive a lot during the day so that really isn’t an option for me.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
Oh no...not this remove the rear seat nonsense again...the dealer put a few scratches and left the seat a little dirty after the harness recall.
My 2017 Ridgeline's rear bumper was gouged during the wiring harness recall.

Due in part to the following statement in the TSB, I will probably ignore this recall for now unless I detect signs of a leak such as drivability issues, fuel odor, dripping gasoline, decreased fuel economy, etc., which I will keep a close eye on.

"Expected failure rate of the pump is very low. Order fuel pump and retainer only after confirming a new fuel pump is required based on the inspection procedure. Do not order for inventory."

I have such an aversion to letting a dealer touch my vehicle, I may order the 17063-T6Z-305 fuel pump cover kit and perform the recall myself if it's not too expensive.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,588 Posts
My 2017 Ridgeline's rear bumper was gouged during the wiring harness recall.

Due in part to the following statement in the TSB, I will probably ignore this recall for now unless I detect signs of a leak such as drivability issues, fuel odor, dripping gasoline, decreased fuel economy, etc., which I will keep a close eye on.

"Expected failure rate of the pump is very low. Order fuel pump and retainer only after confirming a new fuel pump is required based on the inspection procedure. Do not order for inventory."

I have such an aversion to letting a dealer touch my vehicle, I may order the 17063-T6Z-305 fuel pump cover kit and perform the recall myself if it's not too expensive.
Doesn't seem bad, doesn't show up on a Google Search yet, so, check your preferred "Stealership"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Anyone have an idea of how "vehicle cleaning detergents/agents" could cause an issue like this? I assume it must be some type of airborne problem. I posted a year or so ago that I had a smell of fuel that was noticeable in the cabin and the engine bay. Isn't the fuel pump in an area that no one would try to access? Years ago my 2004 and I believe 2008 Odysseys had some sort of recall that required access to the in tank fuel pump. I guess it will now be 3 for 3 with this frame design. Does this mean the Pilot and Odyssey will follow? Also, should I remove the OEM seat covers or can they stay on when the seat comes out? My Ridgeline hasn't been scratched yet, not happy to subject it to unnecessary carelessness.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
Anyone have an idea of how "vehicle cleaning detergents/agents" could cause an issue like this? I assume it must be some type of airborne problem. I posted a year or so ago that I had a smell of fuel that was noticeable in the cabin and the engine bay. Isn't the fuel pump in an area that no one would try to access? Years ago my 2004 and I believe 2008 Odysseys had some sort of recall that required access to the in tank fuel pump. I guess it will now be 3 for 3 with this frame design. Does this mean the Pilot and Odyssey will follow? Also, should I remove the OEM seat covers or can they stay on when the seat comes out? My Ridgeline hasn't been scratched yet, not happy to subject it to unnecessary carelessness.
I'm guessing only the Ridgeline is affected because the front of the bed may drain down onto the top of the tank exposing the fuel pump to liquids that it's not exposed to in applications without a bed such as an SUV or minivan.

If you look under the truck, the front of the bed is over the fuel tank and there are drains for the bed in that area. In non-truck applications, the top of the fuel tank is likely protected against draining water. In those applications, the only liquid that should find its way to the top of the fuel tank is rain water from driving or city water from a car wash (car washes typically only rinse the undercarriage with plain water).

My initial suspicion is that many fuel pumps may use plastics that are susceptible to chemical damage, but they're normally tucked up under the body or shielded from draining liquids that may contain detergents so it's not a problem.

I can't imagine what type of detergent or cleaning agent someone might use that would be any more harmful than...say...GASOLINE. :)

When the recall shows up on the NHTSA website, there should be some "Associated Documents" with the recall that often contain defect investigations with more specific information than what is included in the TSB's and recall notices. I'm anxious to read more about this particular issue.

Ironically, when I just went out to my garage to look under my Ridgeline, I smelled a mild gasoline odor. It appears to be coming from the engine bay EXACTLY like my 2019 RDX and 2018 Accord did. I HIGHLY doubt all three of these new vehicles are leaking gasoline. I ran my fingers over the top of the fuel pump and didn't smell any gasoline on them.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts